Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 14,970 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and found out what schools my children are going to- Granbury Elementary, Oliver Middle, and Overton High. I originally thought they would be in Brentwood schools (we are living right off of 65/Old Hickory) as the address we have is a Brentwood city address. I have heard a lot of bad things about Davidson co schools and I am wondering if these three schools are bad as well? Can anyone give me any input in this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 04:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,126,151 times
I can only tell you what I've heard about Overton. I don't have any direct knowledge so I could easily be wrong. Overton used to be a pretty nice high school . . . but I've heard there's a gang of troublemakers there now. From what I've heard they're not particularly violent, just mean.

Again, I'm going on hearsay. You might talk to some other parents in the area.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:20 PM

3,961 posts, read 10,595,113 times
I work with a guy who used to teach there. I have nothing good to tell you, unfortunately. Sorry.

You're very close to Montessorri Academy, but that's only good for the lower grades. It's not a true Montessori environment. The new headmistress is leading it in a more evangelical direction, so if that's compatible with your family philosophy, it might be a consideration.
It is one of the more affordable private schools.

I'm not sure what to tell you- homeschool? It sounds like you haven't bought this house. If you're renting, is it possible to move before school begins, or are you on a lease?

I wish you luck, I really do.

Parenting is HARD.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM

4 posts, read 14,970 times
Thanks- are all three of these schools bad? I worry about my 7 year old in the elementary school. Also my 12 year old girl. Although these two usually do well, I am wondering are there good kids there - enough of them? Are there any good affordable schools for my highschooler? He is going to be in ninth grade and the reason I had moved here was to get him away from a bad group of kids he was involved with. Do you know if we are allowed to choose a Williamson county school if we are so close to them?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,002,090 times
You live in the small slab of Brentwood that is located in Davidson County, which means your kids, if you choose to send them to public school, will attend Metro schools with all the gangbangers.

If gang membership is up their alley, they will have a smorgasboard to choose from, such as Gangster Disciples, Kurdish Pride, Bloods, Crips, and MS-13.

I would recommend moving a mile or so down the road into Williamson County or investigating the many private schools Nashville has to offer.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 AM

3,961 posts, read 10,595,113 times
Of course there are good kids in every school. More good than bad, certainly. It just doesn't take many "bad" kids to change things.

I've never heard of anyone being granted a waiver to attend WCS, but youo could call the school district office and ask. What could it hurt? My guess though, is that they'd want a lease or sales contract showing you were about to move into the district.

I wish we had better news for you. Moving with kids is complicated enough!

Old 07-10-2007, 05:58 PM

11 posts, read 44,020 times
I used to work in Metro Nashville Schools and live in the area you just moved. Those schools are not 'perfect', but they are good solid schools in a good area of Nashville. Nashville also has a good magnet program-check out the academic magnets. Enjoy the Music City.

If you really want Williamson County schools, they may have a tuition program where your kids can go out of zone. Since you are in Davidson County your tax dollars go to their schools.

Best of luck.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,549 times
I used to live in Nashville,and just moved back.I also used to live on old hickory,near 65.Yea,we had a five lane highway right behind our house.My younger cousin went to Granbury a few years back. From what she tells me now,she loved it,and her teachers and peers. Her parents also thought it a very good school and found the education quite satisfactory.However,I don't know if it has changed much through the passing years. I myself went to Overton and really enjoyed the experience. But from what I hear today,its actually changed quite alot.Hope that helped and good luck.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,313 times
Default I must disagree with the majority

I know this blog is old but I just saw it and had to register to say my peace. I have children in all 3 of these schools. These are wonderful schools with wonderful teachers, parents, and kids in them. Metro Schools are not as bad as they are portrayed. All of parents want to push the blame for their childrens bad behavior off on someone else. This is your fault and responsability, so quit blaming Metro Schools and start taking more of an interest in your children and their lives. I am really not trying to sound harsh but really know 1st hand the great programs these schools have. I give them 5 stars. I hope your children are in these schools and thriving. Blessing for a wonderful life within our Overton school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee