U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2010, 11:38 AM

6 posts, read 15,380 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I currently live in South Jersey outside of Philly. We're very unhappy here and would like to move to where people are nicer and it's more affordable. (Jersey is WAY too expensive).

We're looking to spend under $200K (ideally it would be more like $150K). I would love to have at least 5 acres, preferably more (I would really like to have a farmette). As people, we're not really into the night life scene. For fun, we like to go to farmer's markets/festivals, antiquing, walking the dogs. We're the type of people who like to walk around and see things. We like older homes and don't need to have all the bells and whistles to be happy.

We would need to be in driving distance of employment. Right now I'm trying to start my own creative marketing agency (will have a national focus) and if that gets off the ground, then the work commute will be moot (we'd work out of the home). If it doesn't, then my husband and I will need to get work as copywriters or in some sort of marketing/communications field. In an ideal world, that commute would be 45 minutes or less.

We've been tossing around a few places more on the Eastern side of TN. We're kind of liking the idea of the mountain area. I was also attracted to Chattanooga, but I'm concerned about the heat/humidity in the summer. Jersey is no picnic in the summer...but I was in Atlanta in August and it really did a number on my sinuses.

We have no kids. Basically we just want live in a nice place with land of our own and where people are considerate of others.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 01:42 PM

363 posts, read 510,571 times
An 11.8 acre farmette just came up for sale not too far from me. Lots of fruit trees, blueberries galore, mountain views, level to rolling land plus a pond. There's a single wide trailer, looks bad from the outside, though might be fit enough to live in while you build a home.

It's located about 45-50 miles NW of Knoxville, internet/cable/DirecTv/Dish are available.

If you're interested DM me and I'll pass along the phone number on the For Sale (by owner) sign.

Believe me, there's no night life out here unless you consider star gazing night life.

Last edited by Liondandy; 11-17-2010 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: change 45 minutes to 45-50 miles.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:04 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,310,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post
An 11.8 acre farmette just came up for sale not too far from me. Lots of fruit trees, blueberries galore, mountain views, level to rolling land plus a pond. There's a single wide trailer, looks bad from the outside, though might be fit enough to live in while you build a home.

It's located about 45-50 miles NW of Knoxville, internet/cable/DirecTv/Dish are available.

If you're interested DM me and I'll pass along the phone number on the For Sale (by owner) sign.

Believe me, there's no night life out here unless you consider star gazing night life.
Star gazing and listening to the coyotes, crickets, frogs are nightlife.....

Old 11-17-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Star gazing and listening to the coyotes, crickets, frogs are nightlife.....
Agreed. And if the clouds co-operate, I'll be star gazing at the Leonid meteor shower in the wee hours tomorrow morning.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:58 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,282 times
I don't think you'll have to worry about the heat & humidity down here. I'm originally from Long Island and this is nothing like we had back in the northeast. You'll love it in TN!

Old 11-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post

Drove by this beautiful property again and realized it's a double wide trailer, not single. The owner has cleaned it up quite a bit. It's looking better.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 AM

8,177 posts, read 14,260,960 times
Jersey, just bring some Taylor Ham with you!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,244,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Jersey, just bring some Taylor Ham with you!
I've seen that several times now but a quick check of the local Krogers and I found they have plenty of it in stock at the deli counter. No need to stock up or order on line.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:08 AM

8,177 posts, read 14,260,960 times
I know there are 3 or 4 Krogers in Jackson, so next time we visit, I'll be checking them out. Otherwise, I'll have to get it sent down when we move - 9 more months!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:33 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Check out the Knoxville area. It has what you want, and more.

I'm kind of surprised that Barb thinks it is cooler here, though. It is The South. But it is doable. I'm originally from the northeast and also lived in Florida, so I think the weather here in East Tenn to be perfect. But we have a longer summer than Jersey. It will be better than Atlanta, though. Their summers are very hot.

But hey, Barb, if you think the summers here are better than so be it. That is great!

Anyway, I think Knoxville and its outlying areas will be perfect for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee