U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,541,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
hik, thats awesome about chickens within city limits, i think everyone should have a couple of hens, lol, nothing better tasting than fresh eggs...
we love our ninja chickens.

lol, im one of those people that can look at a POS house/trailer/converted whatever and think...hmmm that has potential :P
Or in other words, your always working on a project?

Im surprised any city would ban a few hens. Not long ago I saw a special about raising chickens in NY that encouraged people to have a few hens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
2 mares, it is all good. I've simply been dealing with some toxic people and I have enough problems of my own. You and I love funnin" with each other! So duh to me!

Yeah, apparently the chicken ban had been around awhile but some people decided they would like to try raising chickens on their own and got the law changed. I think it is very cool! I don't know about the ninja chickens, though. I wonder what kind of insurance you would need for that!

Old 12-24-2010, 03:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,809,039 times
ill admit i was a little worried afterour brahma hen chased off the UPS guy LOL
but there quiet dont leave the yard and we dont have any roos so the neighbors are happy, i figure as long as they dont complain our egg machiens are safe...:P i just hate that with a lot our size on the outskirts of the town theres such a restriction...i can understand roosters but hens? you cant keep ANY swine within the town limits (not even a PBP even if you have 300 acres...if its in town, no piggies, you need a minimum of 10 acres for a single goat (and 1 acre per goat afterwards...but you can keep a horse on 2 acres...lol

silly rules and is potentially the biggest thing i want to avoid when i move, especially considering i already have a name and lots of plans for my little homestead in the coming years (of course thats if i ever get there lol)

but yes 2mares, your very right, theres always SOMETHIGN im working on :P
and ontop of it having mild ocd and adhd, ill generally fix it then come back to it 2 weeks later and fix it again because it wasnt perfect the first time or i forgot i did it :P
i also LOVE house fixit type stuff, my poor 400sqft apt is probably even smaller with the 3 different colors of paint over the last year.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 PM

23,665 posts, read 21,998,807 times
Chick-fil-A

Old 12-26-2010, 09:04 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
If you come to Anderson County, take a ride along Route 61: Oak Ridge, Clinton, Norris, Andersonville and keep going on that same road into Union County up around Maynardsville. I happen to think it's really nice (and rural) between Norris and Maynardsville, and slightly beyond, and you will see farms plus you will be fairly close to the water. In Norris and Maynardsville there are state parks (Norris Dam State Park and Big Ridge State Park). Our state parks in Tennessee are free.

When I drove to Big Ridge one time this year I had to brake for wild turkeys that crossed the road in front of my car.

If you want to see some photos of the area. say so. But, I don't have farm photos because it's hard to pull over to the side of the road due to drainage type ditches that I typically see on the roads in front of farms here in Tennessee.

Don't know about high speed Internet in the area around Andersonville and Maynardsville. Norris has it.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:24 PM

laura id love to see pics

wild turkey make me giggle...
we had a flock on the merrit a few years ago that stopped traffic for hours as the big head tom refused to let cars pass him LOL

Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you come to Anderson County, take a ride along Route 61: Oak Ridge, Clinton, Norris, Andersonville and keep going on that same road into Union County up around Maynardsville. I happen to think it's really nice (and rural) between Norris and Maynardsville, and slightly beyond, and you will see farms plus you will be fairly close to the water. In Norris and Maynardsville there are state parks (Norris Dam State Park and Big Ridge State Park). Our state parks in Tennessee are free.

When I drove to Big Ridge one time this year I had to brake for wild turkeys that crossed the road in front of my car.

If you want to see some photos of the area. say so. But, I don't have farm photos because it's hard to pull over to the side of the road due to drainage type ditches that I typically see on the roads in front of farms here in Tennessee.

Don't know about high speed Internet in the area around Andersonville and Maynardsville. Norris has it.
It's spotty all around that area, even in Norris. You'd be surprised how many folks around Norris Lake don't have it. It depends on how many neighbors and how close. When I worked cable that area probably had the most requests. Lots of folks from The Midwest have vacation homes around there and are surprised to find they can't get cable.

I have a friend that works at Comcast and lives in Maynardville and can't get it. She's far from the only one, too.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 7,570 times
My husband and I live in Athens TN. Its about an hour south of Knoxville. Actually it sits almost exactly between Knoxville and Chattanooga, so either way you go your an hour from lots of things to do and see. Athens is a nice little small town.The area around it is beautiful countryside and mostly farms. It definitely small town country living at its best. We are also looking for land right now to homestead on and maybe do an intentional community with shared tools, outdoor summer kitchen, barns, etc. I'd be glad to show you around the area and grab some lunch. annafee@bellsouth.net

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 PM

thanks for that scarlett, ill defintatly hit you up a little closer to the time and would love it if you could give me a little intro to the area

i did a quick search on realtor.com to see what kind of properies are available in the area and theres some very nice little houses with small acreage that would work, i found one i LOVE, its a forclosure and only 2 weeks listed, it might be the one if its still on the market in october time (ive got another few months of establishing another line of credit history :/ *grumbles* )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee