Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 07:23 PM

127 posts, read 423,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
If you come to Knoxville check out Market Square and The Old City. This is the most urban/cosmopolitan area in East Tennessee. For must eat food I would head to Chandler's. It's really close to the Knoxville Zoo on Magnolia Avenue. Good luck with your search. I am a recent transplant from Alabama and I love it here. Small city and college town vibe with things to do all the time as well as natural beauty very close by. Rural property values south of Knoxville are probably pretty high due to the proximity to Smoky Mountains National Park. For a good deal in an equally stunning area you should check out Scott, Morgan, Campbell, and Anderson Counties north of here. It is beautiful, rugged, and much more remote than the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area.

Also check out Old Hickory Tennessee slightly north of Nashville (Davidson County) for a more rural feel near a major metropolitan area. Friends of ours just bought a wonderful piece of property there with a large log home on a few acres. Williamson county, still has some nice rural areas for reasonable prices the further away from Nashville you go. We own a home near historic East Nashville, that we've rented to a nice couple from Ohio and a single guy from Jersey and they all loved the area, never having any issues with being transplants. (Actually almost everyone in Nashville seems to be a transplant.)

I agree with the above statement about the East TN and Knoxville areas, (however loving SEC college ball is a must! )

I have never noticed the northern hostility many talk about, but then again I am a "native" as it were. More than likely though the closer you are to a major city like Knoxville or Nashville, more than likely that will not be an issue.

hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,807,730 times
i never thought about moving my search to other areas of tn than the est simply because of the humidity (i know its high through the state) is there much of a weather difference (primarily normal daily highs and humidity percent) between the knoxville and nashville areas?

i have a friend in the paris area who keeps telling me to look into that area (due to the lakes and its aparently a nice area) but i worry about higher humidity. im british origioanlly so our humidity it typically the kind that comes in the form of rain...and lots of it...
and here in ct i just melt on the terribly sticky days.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 PM

24,773 posts, read 28,426,556 times
The following link is the master link for all Chamber of Commerce with in the State of Tennessee.
Request information from the Chamber and they will gladly send you free information.. be specific on what your looking for.. Tennesse Chamber of Commerce, TN Directory of Chambers

Interactive map of Tennessee drag your mouse over a county and it will lite up then click on it for more information. http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/local/ the photo of the lake at the bottom is Falls Creek Falls near Spencer..

Old 12-21-2010, 10:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,136,769 times
I know that we had major discussions on here, this past summer, about the differences in heat and humidity. You might want to do a search for that.

What I found to be staggering was the enormous difference between Murfreesboro and Knoxville.

We had someone on here telling us how horrible it was and I simply didn't believe her, after living in swFlorida for 10 years. That was until I checked out The National Weather Service. There were days that it was actually HOTTER than swFlorida, and that is really, really saying something. That included temp, humidity and the all-important dewpoint. And it was oh so much cooler in Knoxville and points northeast.

I know that Paris is in the western part of the state known for violent weather and a flat landscape.

I'm from the countryside of New England and I am quite surprised how badly behaved some of the people are in some small outposts with high unemployment. They are probably going to not be what you expect. Some of those folks have been "working" but don't have a recognized job. And a northerner coming around and poking in their business is not welcomed. They also can be highly opinionated about some things that you could find appalling. It is certainly not everyone, but it was the biggest surprise after moving to this state.

Sticking to the more "urban" areas are probably a good thing. And remember that what you or I consider a "city" may not be the same in this state. I live within the city limits of Knoxville and it feels just like my small town that I grew up in.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM

im not too bothered about how close to the city i get as long as i can keep livestock on my property (goats, chickens, rabbit and mabe a horse) as well as my dogs, i will be looking for a minimum of 5 acres. if i can get that with no livestock restrictions on the edge of knoxville city id be more than happy lol.

where i am right now we live on the outer skirts of a medium sized town (were not small but were certinaly not large) and theres so many restrictions even outside of the main town area, were not even supposed to have chickens anymore because they changed the law a couple months ago and we have almost an acre of land.
(so we have ninja chickens, our neighbors love them lol)

im just loking for a little homesteading place.

another "bonus" is im mildly agoraphobic and have extreem social anxiety...people typically have to smile and talk to me first lol. people are going to think im either that weird recluse person or that im a snob...i guess that could be both a good and terrible thing if i whent rural lol

and yes, i think seeing the stats for the rest of the state in terms of weather...ill be sticking to very eastern tn thanks :P

Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 PM

36,163 posts, read 30,619,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
im not too bothered about how close to the city i get as long as i can keep livestock on my property (goats, chickens, rabbit and mabe a horse) as well as my dogs, i will be looking for a minimum of 5 acres. if i can get that with no livestock restrictions on the edge of knoxville city id be more than happy lol.

where i am right now we live on the outer skirts of a medium sized town (were not small but were certinaly not large) and theres so many restrictions even outside of the main town area, were not even supposed to have chickens anymore because they changed the law a couple months ago and we have almost an acre of land.
(so we have ninja chickens, our neighbors love them lol)

im just loking for a little homesteading place.

another "bonus" is im mildly agoraphobic and have extreem social anxiety...people typically have to smile and talk to me first lol. people are going to think im either that weird recluse person or that im a snob...i guess that could be both a good and terrible thing if i whent rural lol

and yes, i think seeing the stats for the rest of the state in terms of weather...ill be sticking to very eastern tn thanks :P
You shouldnt have any problems with restrictions outside of the city limits. Id worry more about breed bans and insurance problems. Zoning is kind of odd around here. You may see a 1/2 million dollar home next to a trailer with a barn, goats and chickens. I guess thats why some prefer gaited communities.

You will get plenty of strangers smiling, waving and talking to you. Hope you can get use to it. It is very common for someone to strike up a converstation with you standing in the check out line. Dont let Hik scare you into thinking rural folks are all crazy, stink-eyed clanish hillbillies that kidnap "outsiders" and turn them into sausage.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM

i wouldnt make very good sausage anyway, least right now, too much fat to meat ratio even for sausage :P

good to know about restrictions...thats actually incredibly helpfull as alot of tn towns either dont have a website or dont have their municiple codes online so trying to figure out where would allow what is proving a little tougher.

i dont currently have any dogs that would be considered in a bred ban (chinese cresteds) but i do hope to have a LGD if i have enough land, and i have a love of cane corso and great danes so i will definatly look further into breed bans in the areas im looking at, i think the cane would be the biggest likelyhood for a ban due to the resembalance to "pit bulls" id also rather not support an area with breed bans in place as i dont belive in them...(ban the stupid people instead lol)

lol...im going to be that trailer with the barn goats and chickens LOL

i am painfully polite so despite the SA, if someone smiles and starts up a conversation im a very happy smiley nice person to talk to...i just struggle to continue a conversation if the other party doesnt prompt it lol.

as for the stink eyes hillbillies, there more than welcome to kidnap me as long as its not to turn me into BBQ lol. im all for a cold beer and a burger though...as long as im not becomming the burger :P

Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,136,769 times
I said "some" and not "all." That's the great thing about forums, you can go back and read who said what.

Recently, the Knoxville city council voted to allow chickens within city limits. There are even less restrictions in Knox County. There are no breed bans.

Once again, coming from New England - and being a reporter - I know exactly what kind of egregious laws and restriction are in play up there. This area will seem like a breath of fresh air.

Most small towns are not made up of hostile criminals. They are in the minority. Most are made up of people that are at least friendly to your face...and some actually mean it!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,619,225 times
Quote:
I said "some" and not "all." That's the great thing about forums, you can go back and read who said what.
Im just funnin with ya Hik.

Quote:
i dont currently have any dogs that would be considered in a bred ban (chinese cresteds) but i do hope to have a LGD if i have enough land, and i have a love of cane corso and great danes so i will definatly look further into breed bans in the areas im looking at, i think the cane would be the biggest likelyhood for a ban due to the resembalance to "pit bulls" id also rather not support an area with breed bans in place as i dont belive in them...(ban the stupid people instead lol)
So far my area has not passed any bans. There has been talk tho. I raised rotts for 18 yrs and have now ended up with 3 pitts, a border collie and a coon hound. I did have a few isues with homeowners ins. with the rotties.

Quote:
lol...im going to be that trailer with the barn goats and chickens LOL
Thats me except I live in a glorified garage. Thankfully for my few neighbors, my place is surrounded by woods so they dont have to see all my critters and crappy house.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:38 AM

hik, thats awesome about chickens within city limits, i think everyone should have a couple of hens, lol, nothing better tasting than fresh eggs...
we love our ninja chickens.

lol, im one of those people that can look at a POS house/trailer/converted whatever and think...hmmm that has potential :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee