U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,923 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for anyone in this forum who has made the move from Michigan to Tennessee. I'm Mich born and raised for 43 years and am getting to the point where I'm starting to dislike winter. My wife and I have talked about possibly moving but her one condition is we move to where we have family. So that leaves one brother in Az and one in TN. Been to Az, liked it but not sure if it fits me. Tennessee seems very nice and the weather seems to be much better than where I am in regards to cold. My brother in in Mt Juliet and we are planning a visit in April. So if you moved there from here how much more do you like it? Miss it here much? If so what do you miss? Any information/opinions you can share are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 03:19 PM

9,487 posts, read 13,349,016 times
What part of MI are you coming from and where are you thinking about in TN?
I'm a MI native, but it's been a long time. Twenty years there, twenty plus years in the south, much of that in western TN (Memphis) and the last few years in northeastern TN.
Western TN reminds me a bit of the lower half of the lower peninsula, lots of rolling hills and farmland. Memphis is much more humid and hot in the summer, chilly and wet in winter with more of a tendency to ice over rather than snow on the rare occasions the temps drop low enough.
Eastern TN reminds me very much of the UP. MI or TN? I think that was one of the things that drew me to this area. The weather in this area of eastern TN is also more agreeable to me, a bit cooler and less humid in the summer, a little bit of snow in the winter.
What I missed most about MI
~ Real sand beaches and sand dunes, and lighthouses.
~ Orchards and roadside fruit stands everywhere.
~ Snow! Not having a white C'mas still seems odd after all these years (but I don't miss it so much that I'd move back to MI).
When I had the opportunity to move a few years ago I thought long and hard about going back to MI. MI is in my blood and I love it, but I'm not sure I'm up to the winters anymore. Instead I decided on this little corner of TN and so far I love it. It 'fits' me more than any place I've lived since I left MI.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 AM

459 posts, read 1,099,844 times
I would think you'd find a plethora of folks for whom you're looking. Just search Michigan and Tennessee.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 164,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'm looking for anyone in this forum who has made the move from Michigan to Tennessee. I'm Mich born and raised for 43 years and am getting to the point where I'm starting to dislike winter. My wife and I have talked about possibly moving but her one condition is we move to where we have family. So that leaves one brother in Az and one in TN. Been to Az, liked it but not sure if it fits me. Tennessee seems very nice and the weather seems to be much better than where I am in regards to cold. My brother in in Mt Juliet and we are planning a visit in April. So if you moved there from here how much more do you like it? Miss it here much? If so what do you miss? Any information/opinions you can share are greatly appreciated.
I'm originally from the east coast (and still love it) and I have recently moved to Franklin, TN which is a suburb of Nashville.
It's very nice here. New like many areas of Phoenix too.
There are so many transients here that you will have no problem finding a group of like minded individuals.
TN is closer to MI too! Easier to visit home!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:06 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,923 times
I live in lower Michigan but have always been in the mind set if I have to deal with cold I want snow ( A LOT OF IT). So I have always wanted to move north. But the more I see and learn about Tennessee the more I like it. I love Michigan, I truly do. But something inside me keeps nagging for change. TN would make it much easier to come home, or shoot up to meet friends in Ohio to go to Cedar Point, vacation in northern Mich etc.
Also being just outside Nashville would be like heaven. I'm a HUGE country music fan. It just makes me feel good. Anyway thanks for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee