U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sounds like a clear cut case of "That's not the way we do it up north"
Not trying to be ugly here just honest....It urks me that people want to move away from someplace where they have all these restrictions and then move to a rural country community and expect everyone to change their way of living to suit what they are used to "up north", "in the city", or "where we used to live".
Move back to where you came from if you like the "restrictions" but don't move to Rome and then expect Rome to be like Maine, NY or wherever you moved from.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:41 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,765,259 times
see i agree with that deep and hik...absolutly...

but i do have a big issue with dogs running loose and barking at all hours no matter what state its in...

i agree that the op seems to have "the attitude" of 'well i didnt want to move here...
but i do think the dogs running loose/barking at all hours is something the local enforcment should be doing something about...at the very least animal control...i mean for goodness sake, being growled at on her own deck while the neighbor stands by and watches...

Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,595,652 times
There's only two ways to deal with roaming dogs and non-responsive law enforcement and/or owners.

1. Trap the dogs and take them to the shelter
2. Shoot. Shovel. Shut up.

Of course they can replace the dogs and many do, because that sorta person sees animals as possessions more than family. Make take a few rounds of either method, but they'll stop eventually.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 PM

942 posts, read 2,688,683 times
Well, it is best to talk to the neighbors first before calling the LEA/animal's control. That is if you want to be on good terms with the neighbors. It is your call.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Well, it is best to talk to the neighbors first before calling the LEA/animal's control. That is if you want to be on good terms with the neighbors. It is your call.
In my experience, neither is too good for good terms with the neighbors...

...but maybe it's just my sterling personality and way with people.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:29 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Im one of those neighbors that shoots guns and fireworks, rides 4 wheelers, sits around the fire pit and has dogs and roosters and other noisy animals. So do most of my neighbors. If the new neighbors complain, well they should have realized they were moving into a rural farm neighborhood. That being said, I agree that constant barking is annoying and needs to be controlled.

I agree with RamblinRose too. We basically have no animal control so if an inconsiderate irresponsible pet owner refuses to control their dog a bullet will. That would be an absolute last resort, but I would not put myself or animals at risk from loose growling dogs.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 120,835 times
People have a fantasy that country life is tranquil and quiet. I'm sorry you fell for that imaginary vision, but the truth is that country life is barking dogs and crowing roosters and tractors at 4 a.m. and rifle shots and crop dusters.

I don't mind it at all.

Put up some good fences to keep the dogs away from your house and a decent-sized yard for you all to enjoy (including electric wire top and bottom if needed) and close the baby's windows at night and play some music. She'll get used to the noise, kids ultimately will sleep through anything.

When aggressive dogs came onto our land we practiced the three S's: Shoot. Shovel. Shut up. Problem solved.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 AM

590 posts, read 2,007,406 times
There are dogs that bark at all hours of the day, dogs that will hump each other in your front yard, dogs that wander around and look for trouble, and dogs that don't. In rural areas this combination is generally accepted. If you don't like it, move. Not all areas are the same. Some roads and communities will be like this, and others won't.

For the most troublesome dogs, I would go out with my 45. Loading it would get the dogs notice and they would start walking away. Pointing it at them would make them run away. Of course I wouldn't shoot them, I just didn't want these troublesome dogs so close.

Many people move to an area and try to make it just like it was where they came from. They say they don't want to do that. But, in reality, they often do it without realizing it. Trying to control neighborhood dogs & barking is just one example of "making it back like it was at home". As others have said, if you don't want to deal with it in any capacity, a city is your best bet.

As to the tractors and crop dusters, their are good farmers and farmers who don't think. Where I used to live the tractors would not drive on the local roads during rush hour. This kept traffic from backing up. I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but it worked out well.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM

193 posts, read 432,970 times
I feel that people still need to be considerate of others - no matter where they live.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:09 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,060,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md21722 View Post

Many people move to an area and try to make it just like it was where they came from. They say they don't want to do that. But, in reality, they often do it without realizing it. Trying to control neighborhood dogs & barking is just one example of "making it back like it was at home". As others have said, if you don't want to deal with it in any capacity, a city is your best bet.
We get laughed at, told off and generally condescended to when we tell people that no, not all places are alike and moving to an area that is very different than they are use to will usually be a problem. After they move we get told all the things wrong with the new area and how things need to change.

"Considerate of others" is a subjective term. You may not think people are considerate of you but others may think it is YOU that is not considerate. Just because people do things differently doesn't make them wrong. Being considerate means completely researching an area, realizing that some things maybe different and adapting to those ways or at least quietly tolerating them. If you don't like certain aspects don't expect them to change for YOU. That is narcissistic thinking. You moved into an area with certain customs. Adapt and tolerate or move. The onus is on YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or