U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 12:35 PM

590 posts, read 2,008,613 times

Advertisements

What exactly is being considerate?

If one resident has dogs that bark at all hours of the day and night, and this differs from all other residents, then that one particular resident would be inconsiderate.

If on the other hand everyone's dogs barked at all hours of the day and night, and a newcomer moves to the area and complains, then the newcomer would be inconsiderate.

Turning the situation around, if someone from the country with dogs who barked all day and all night moved to a subdivision in an urban area where his dogs were the only ones that make noise, he would be the inconsiderate one (and probably face HOA or local ordinance violations).

I'm pretty sure barking dogs aren't specific to life in the rural South. I would expect this in some or all rural areas across the country.

Some states are more heavily rural than others and laws exist to meet the needs of rural residents. For example, some years back a dog jumped out of a pick-up truck on I-40 in Nashville. Some lawmakers tried to make it illegal to have a dog in the back of a pick-up truck. This effort died pretty quickly when it was pointed out that dogs are needed in the back of pick-up trucks to protect personal property when the owner is in the store buying farm supplies, etc.

Living in the country doesn't mean you live in a giant urban subdivision with 5, 10, 20, 50, or 100 acre lots. It means you live with farmers, rednecks, and hillbillies, and other country people.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:37 PM

4,910 posts, read 3,488,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Being considerate means completely researching an area, realizing that some things maybe different and adapting to those ways or at least quietly tolerating them.
I agree that 4 wheelers, gun shots, farm equipment noises are all typical and country noises, and city folks should accept those as part of the trade-off for moving into the country. Compared to the noise of continual honking horns and sirens I'd take the country noises any day.

But I respectfully do not agree with the definition of consideration you posted above, in the context of this woman's experience with neighbor dogs. It is not OK for neighbor dogs to growl at the woman, tear garbage apart and throw it from one yard to the next, tear up her decorations, or bark incessantly. And it is not OK to have the dog owner completely disregard the concerns expressed by this woman.

I also don't believe the definition of consideration requires that the woman "adapt and quietly tolerate" when she is not the person who is in the wrong and when we are talking about someones HOME.

Maybe she got in over her head moving the country. Maybe she does want to change where she lives so that it looks like where she USED to live. But maybe not. And maybe neither one of those things really matters.

It does not change the fact that yet one more dog owner refuses to take responsibility for the actions of their animal and that innocent people who probably just want to live a quiet life with their family have to bear the consequences of that lack of responsibility.

There's been some good suggestions on here on how to handle the situation.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:39 PM

193 posts, read 433,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
We get laughed at, told off and generally condescended to when we tell people that no, not all places are alike and moving to an area that is very different than they are use to will usually be a problem. After they move we get told all the things wrong with the new area and how things need to change.

"Considerate of others" is a subjective term. You may not think people are considerate of you but others may think it is YOU that is not considerate. Just because people do things differently doesn't make them wrong. Being considerate means completely researching an area, realizing that some things maybe different and adapting to those ways or at least quietly tolerating them. If you don't like certain aspects don't expect them to change for YOU. That is narcissistic thinking. You moved into an area with certain customs. Adapt and tolerate or move. The onus is on YOU.

I just believe in common courtesy, that's all. That's how I was raised.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:23 PM

14,938 posts, read 26,645,784 times
This is no longer about the Tennessee laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or