Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,586 times

Advertisements

I wasn't bashing TN so relax or living in the country or even having a gun in your home. It was simply a statement as to that particular situation.

Wont even respond to the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:06 AM

231 posts, read 585,850 times
We found that this works better than a gun... Just light them up with this handy item and they won't be back...

15 Million Candlepower Spotlight

15-Million Candlepower Hand-held Rechargeable Spotlight
Attached Thumbnails
So, this is odd....-spotlight.jpg  

Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,169 times
Or if they DO come back, they won't be able to see I've had one of the million candle lights before and love 'em.
I second a trail camera, just to see what you're dealing with. If it's four legged, maybe the light will be enough ammo. If two legged, maybe buckshot is the answer.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,188,781 times
As3369, one of my brothers-in-law has one of those.

I told him he needed to be careful with that or he'll shoot his eye out...

Old 12-01-2010, 10:15 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,502 times
How about putting high-voltage security fence on the property? Nah, it is very expensive. Electric Fence (cattle fence?) on the property would probably help to keep unwelcomed visitors away.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Another very cheap alternative would be to just put up "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting" signs up around your property. Will it deter someone from snooping around if they've got their mind made up? Of course not. But it does send the message of "We know you're out there and we're watching you."

Might be a good short term idea until you get the trailcams up or another longer-term solution in place.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Another very cheap alternative would be to just put up "No Trespassing" and "No Hunting" signs up around your property. Will it deter someone from snooping around if they've got their mind made up? Of course not. But it does send the message of "We know you're out there and we're watching you."

Might be a good short term idea until you get the trailcams up or another longer-term solution in place.
Eh. I absolutly hate seeing no trespass signs plastered all over property. Do people really want to send that message to the world. When I bought my place, I tore down the no trespass signs and put up a welcome sign.

If I thought someone was sneeking around stalking and watching the house I think Id just shoot into the air a couple times every few nights. That would send the message I now your up to no good and Ill shoot your arse.

Im surprised all the dogs dont sound an alarm.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 AM

138 posts, read 219,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabe09 View Post
MY hubby got his trail cam at Wally World, it takes great pics. I think they are around $45. Hopefully, it's just deer and not a person.
Odds are it's the impression of a laying down fawn with its legs tucked under.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Very good possibility of deer bedding down....neighbor down the road had several areas where deer were bed down when he had his last cutting a couple of weeks ago....
He found a few spots along the tree line that look to be where the deer bed down and we've seen their eyes in the light of the flashlight there on numerous occasions at night. I know we've got them out there too. And we've seen a mountain lion / cougar as well, regardless of what the wildlife department wants anyone to think. But he said this was definitely a person. I had asked about the deer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
WOW that is creeeeeeppppyyy.

Not sure I would want to live anywhere where I have to keep a gun at my side at all times.
The gun stays with us anyway. We'd just gotten lax about taking it outside. Mine is always in the room I'm in while I"m inside. Our crime stats are pretty much non-existant here. Not many places in the country as safe as this place. I don't lock doors, let alone close windows or lock the vehicle. My guess is it's just some local creep that's playing spy games to kill boredom. But just in case......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Have you looked at the crime stats for Lake Worth, Florida? Seriously. Take a look. The OP's area has a tiny fraction of the crime that you have in your area.

The OPs are cops. Of course they carry guns. And it is always a good idea out in the country, or anywhere, really.
True as well. I'm sure the former occupation has us a bit more tuned into what's going on around us, though finding that out there really made hubby angry. Feels he's not been on his toes and is losing his survival instincts. My guess is even if he'd chosen to continue teaching at the FBI instead of going to a large county department, he'd still not have been out patrolling acres of land every night. Good grief, accept your human for once. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Eh. I absolutly hate seeing no trespass signs plastered all over property. Do people really want to send that message to the world. When I bought my place, I tore down the no trespass signs and put up a welcome sign.

If I thought someone was sneeking around stalking and watching the house I think Id just shoot into the air a couple times every few nights. That would send the message I now your up to no good and Ill shoot your arse.

Im surprised all the dogs dont sound an alarm.
I like the signs because they're an added layer of legal security in case anyone is on the property and the dogs get them. As long as I have no trespassing and beware of dog signs we're covered. At least that was the law in Florida, but I've found the laws here are very similar. Either way, by posting that people need to stay off our land it's a layer of - at the very least - psychological protection for the dogs and it also keeps the PITA neighbor from trying to hunt the deer that we like to watch.

We've got a concrete block wall that runs the length of most of our land. The house sits in front of it and the pasture is behind it. The dogs are all inside dogs too, so there's no way they'd have known anyone was out there. If they'd crossed the front yard on their way there however, I'd never have gotten them to shut up!

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,829 times
You take care, Mrs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee