Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

Our oldest son has been here since late last week. He's helping hubby bush hog the back pasture. A major job since it hasn't been done in a couple years. Maybe more....

Anyway, hubby comes in yesterday to let me know as he was cutting he found a perfect impression in the grass and under brush of a human, facing toward our house. He said it looks like someone was laying prone with their elbows propping up the front of the body. Makes me wonder if someone's been out there with binoculars watching. I'm not sure why they would.......

First thought was some weirdo in the area is watching. God knows we've got plenty freaks here. Second thought was someone hubby arrested before he retired was released and tracked him down.

Not sure who it was or what they're up to, but today hubby and son are focusing on the property that's directly behind the house. Cut it all down and not give anyone a place to hide. I'll grab some flood lights from Lowe's and hook them up out back too.

New rule in our house? The gun never leaves your side. Guess that new holster he bought me for the Ruger gets broken in pretty fast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 07:50 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,971 times
So sorry to hear this. Flood lights are a good idea, especially the ones that have motion detectors for anyone to have no matter where you live.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Yup, that is odd. Floodlights are a good thing. We have them here as well, but unfortunately for us, (fortunately? I'm not sure...) we don't think that someone might be nosing around any more because there are so many deer and they set them off.

One thing we do have that helped put our mind at ease that also helped answer without a doubt why our lights were on so much...trailcams. I've installed several small motion activated cameras that are very hard to see (even knowing where they are). We have one at the front of the driveway, and at several points around our property.

We usually get some nice pictures of deer, the occasional coyote, bobcat, and once, someone who decided my place along the road was the place to dump his tires...

If you really think that someone has been watching your place regularly enough to leave an imprint in the ground/grass, I'd set one up in that area, even if you've cleared the brush out. It should be relatively easy to figure out where they're coming in as well.

Good luck, and hope this is the last you have reason to even wonder about it.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 13,538 times
If you want to buy some trail cams, this is the cheapest place I have found. TrailCamPro.com

Take care.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Thanks Skinem, that's a great idea!

Where did you get yours? Is it something you can grab at Radio Shack or do you need to order them? We've got a concrete block wall that runs almost the entire length of our property. I could put them on top of the wall. Or attach them to some of the big trees that are near the wall. I don't think hiding them would be too difficult.

I'd thought it may be the neighbor. He's very weird to begin with. But he's a big time hunter, which is fine, but when his father died and he moved into his father's house next door he asked if he could hunt on our property. We told him no. We've got too many dogs and there's too much of a risk of them getting out and being shot. And we like seeing the deer graze there too. He wasn't real happy and we've had some other issues with him. He's the reason we are always armed when we're outside, as he came storming over very intoxicated one night screaming about his girlfriend being missing or something. Anyway, I thought maybe he was out there hunting anyway. We hear shots all the time, day and night, so it wouldn't surprise me. But if the outline is facing the house it doesn't make any sense. The house is one direction and the tree line at the back of the pasture that the deer come out of is in the opposite direction. Although that doesn't mean the weirdo isn't there. Just doubtful he's the one that made the impression.

Of course the neighbors by him have a couple teen boys. One dated our daughter for a while then moved away. A troubled kid. He came back recently and may not realize she's not living here. Her bedroom window faces the back pasture. Wonder if he's out there spying, looking for her?

ETA

Thanks Deep Woods! I'll have hubby take a look when he comes in from bush hogging tonight. Should be in pretty soon. Getting dark already and not even 4:30. Hate this time of year!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Oh, it sounds as if you have a couple of creepy possibilities! I hate hearing that.

I got my cameras from a buddy who sold his farm and didn't need them any more so no help there. We do feel more secure just knowing they are there in the event of a problem...never had one, but just the same...I especially like the one's on the driveway, should be able to see who was here, including plate # if need be. Nothing like a little photographic evidence if the need arises.

To start to familiarize myself with them, I'd check some of the outdoor hunting supply companies online like Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop. Both of those sites should give you some idea of what is out there and kind of a price baseline to work from. You can find them cheaper than there, and you can spend far more than you'd need to somewhere else, but it ought to give you a place to start.

You're local Wally world just may have some...

Good luck to you and hope you can get a little peace of mind.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Very good possibility of deer bedding down....neighbor down the road had several areas where deer were bed down when he had his last cutting a couple of weeks ago....

Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,168 times
WOW that is creeeeeeppppyyy.

Not sure I would want to live anywhere where I have to keep a gun at my side at all times.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
MY hubby got his trail cam at Wally World, it takes great pics. I think they are around $45. Hopefully, it's just deer and not a person.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
WOW that is creeeeeeppppyyy.

Not sure I would want to live anywhere where I have to keep a gun at my side at all times.
Have you looked at the crime stats for Lake Worth, Florida? Seriously. Take a look. The OP's area has a tiny fraction of the crime that you have in your area.

The OPs are cops. Of course they carry guns. And it is always a good idea out in the country, or anywhere, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee