U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM

32 posts, read 54,067 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently in the Coast Guard, but he will be retiring in the next several years. He really wants to work in some law enforcement/water patrol job. He says he wants to carry a gun and drive a truck. His specialization is really more on the personnel side, but also has experience on boats, security units, etc. He said he his tired of working behind a desk all day.

I like the country and the lakes and the weather in Tennessee. I think it is a state that we mutually like. I love a good swimming hole. We used to own horses but had to get rid of them when we moved this last time. I would like to have some land to possibly have a horse again without having to be a millionaire.

With all that being said, does anyone know if they have any maritime patrol jobs or jobs like that with the bigger lakes in Tennessee? He really wants a job that is more active and not sitting behind a desk all day. I really hate to think of him being a police officer, but I think I could handle more of a maritime officer.

Any suggestions?

TIA,
Debbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM

942 posts, read 2,689,160 times
You could try the US Army Corps of Engineers.

Tennessee district locations:
Memphis District
Nashville District

Other districts outside of Tennessee:
Locations (http://www.usace.army.mil/about/pages/locations.aspx - broken link)

Human Resources/Careers (http://www.usace.army.mil/cehr/Pages/home.aspx - broken link)

Some LEAs near the rivers/lakes have their own skydiving/swimming units.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Thank you very much.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:49 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,204,255 times
Tennesee wildlife resources agency handles a lot of the lake enforcement as well. Also TVA has (had?) lake rangers. I don't know the official job title.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 PM

942 posts, read 2,689,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup215 View Post
Thank you very much.
You are welcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Tennesee wildlife resources agency handles a lot of the lake enforcement as well. Also TVA has (had?) lake rangers. I don't know the official job title.
I have forgotten about TWRA. I do recall about TVA having some kind of rangers, but I couldn't find what they are called.

EDIT: Apparently, it is now called TVA Police/TVAP - they still do it.

Last edited by Brian; 12-01-2010 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 05:56 AM

Thank you guys! It looks like they are called marine patrol officers through the TVA. Thanks for giving me a place to look!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM

1,044 posts, read 3,524,887 times
As a retired Coastie myself, It's fair to say that there are not a whole lot of maritime type jobs in TN, the most would be the Memphis area where the Coast Guard facility is. I would not choose to live in West TN, but that's just me.

Good luck with the pending retirement, but I'll tell you the same thing I was told and what I disregarded and now regret.

1. Stay 30 yrs, don't waste your time on 20 yrs, can't retire on that unless he's an officer.

2. Start planning now, get a job lined up before retiring, skills get stale and the longer the gap between active duty and the new job, the less likely that they will count.

3. Get the VA disability things lined up, get ALL of his medical things documented and then put in the disability claim FIRST thing. After 20 years everyone has something service connected wrong with them, but it won't count if not documented.

4. Network with recent retiree's and learn from their mistakes and/or opportunities.

And last enjoy being active duty, once you retire from the Coast Guard you are no longer important to the Guard and you will miss being in the military and having all of the perks that go along with it.

Take care.

Tony in TN

p.s. I would go where he can find a good job, hopefully that would be in TN, but from first hand experience, I'd prefer a good job over a specific place to live especially in this economy.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:58 AM

Thank you, Tony. I do know that he is definitely going to stay in for a few more years at least. With this economy, that would be the smartest thing to do. I really hope he can find a government job, but those aren't always the securest either.

I appreciate all the tips and will pass them on to him.

Debbie

Old 01-08-2011, 10:57 AM

33 posts, read 56,426 times
try around the paris landing area on th etn.river/kentucky lake.they have a coast gaurd station at the marina,maybe they could give him some ideas.they also have a small ferry out of bigsandy that can take a few vehicles at a time to the other side.tva is also in that area.henry,weakly and carrol county are some good areas to buy land realativly cheap.i live on garrett lake in weakly county and love it and drive to south louissiana for work as i'm a captain offshore.but the cost of living up here and the friendliness of the people makes it all worth while. goodluck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee