U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM

555 posts, read 1,052,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Tax evasion is never a good thing.
I guess I was a bit too emotional in my previous post. Tax evasion is not good for practical reasons, I'm certainly not saying anyone should do it. I know I don't evade taxes. However, I can understand why people would want to. Taxation is theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 08:40 PM

23,665 posts, read 21,998,807 times
FYI: What Online Sales Are Subject to Sales Tax? | Marketing & Advertising > Marketing & Advertising Channels from AllBusiness.com

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Default Amazon, Tennessee and Sales Tax: New Info

When Amazon announced it was coming to Tennessee, some of us in this forum were not happy about the sales tax that we would have to pay even though it meant 1,500 new full time jobs and up to 2,200 part time jobs. Well, Amazon must have heard us. It's making a pitch for its Tennessee customers to be exempt if the distribution center opens here.

"Amazon policy chief Fred Kiga has asked the Volunteer State to not collect sales tax from Tennessee customers once the center is built because the company is based in Seattle, Washington, and is an online retailer. As of now, Amazon does not collect sales tax from Tennessee-based consumers because it has no 'physical presence' in the state. 'We are having discussions right now with the state on this,' Kiga, a former head of Washington's revenue department, told the Times Free Press in December. 'The distribution centers here are not retailers, but rather drop-shippers.'"

Legal Technology: Amazon Requesting Sales Tax Exemption from Tennessee

Old 01-26-2011, 09:11 AM

76 posts, read 129,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When Amazon announced it was coming to Tennessee, some of us in this forum were not happy about the sales tax that we would have to pay even though it meant 1,500 new full time jobs and up to 2,200 part time jobs. Well, Amazon must have heard us. It's making a pitch for its Tennessee customers to be exempt if the distribution center opens here.

"Amazon policy chief Fred Kiga has asked the Volunteer State to not collect sales tax from Tennessee customers once the center is built because the company is based in Seattle, Washington, and is an online retailer. As of now, Amazon does not collect sales tax from Tennessee-based consumers because it has no 'physical presence' in the state. 'We are having discussions right now with the state on this,' Kiga, a former head of Washington's revenue department, told the Times Free Press in December. 'The distribution centers here are not retailers, but rather drop-shippers.'"

Legal Technology: Amazon Requesting Sales Tax Exemption from Tennessee

Where in Tennessee are they moving? Do you know when? Thanks

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM

3,801 posts, read 3,434,352 times
One center in Chattanooga, another in Cleveland maybe 20 miles apart. Should be up and running by Thanksgiving, construction began in December.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM

76 posts, read 129,019 times
Thats awesome news!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:43 AM

14,944 posts, read 26,665,395 times
Governor Haslam doesn't think that there should be sales tax collected in TN on purchases from Amazon. Haslam: Amazon shouldn't collect tax | Chattanooga Times Free Press

Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,275,052 times
I'm torn on this. I'm an amazon addict. I also do 90% of my clothes shopping online, but it is my tax dollars that pay services I enjoy.

Recently I've been trying to make sure when I do go shopping I do it in my county and in my town so that my sales tax dollars stay locally.

In reality even if I had to pay sales tax I would use Amazon. They have the cheapest diapers with its amazon prime mom and no big boxest lug home.

Same for toys I can't find here. I can't stand going into Toys R US. I get overwhelmed. I go to amazon, I can read reviews etc.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I'm torn on this. I'm an amazon addict. I also do 90% of my clothes shopping online, but it is my tax dollars that pay services I enjoy.

Recently I've been trying to make sure when I do go shopping I do it in my county and in my town so that my sales tax dollars stay locally.

In reality even if I had to pay sales tax I would use Amazon. They have the cheapest diapers with its amazon prime mom and no big boxest lug home.

Same for toys I can't find here. I can't stand going into Toys R US. I get overwhelmed. I go to amazon, I can read reviews etc.
Woohoo! I'm a small business owner and it isn't just the sales tax. Locally-owned independent businesses return 68 percent of our income to the local economy. National chain? 43 percent. Online seller? Nada.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Here's the latest on the Amazon saga:

"A proposed Tennessee Revenue Department rule change that would apparently impact online retailer Amazon is in limbo — a victim of Gov. Bill Haslam’s 45-day freeze on pending rules and regulations. Haslam said last week during a Chattanooga visit that Amazon shouldn’t have to collect sales taxes because of the Hamilton County distribution center. 'I don’t think because Amazon decides to build a distribution center here, that should change their tax status,' he said."

Tennessee freeze on new rules may affect Amazon | Chattanooga Times Free Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee