U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:41 AM

33,947 posts, read 32,373,038 times

Advertisements

"Amazon plans to spend $139 million and build two distribution centers in Hamilton and Bradley counties. They would employ between 1,400 to 1,500 full-time workers and ultimately more than 5,000 part-time workers, an Amazon official told local legislators earlier this year. Democrat Bredesenís successor, Republican Bill Haslam, has all but acknowledged the state is waiving requirements that would make Internet retailing giant Amazon collect sales taxes on purchases made by its Tennessee customers."

The article is dated 4/25/11.

Ramsey open to revisiting state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,193 times
Yeah, that's really 'doing right by us.' That's really doing the Mom and Pops and other local retailers 'right'...requiring them to charge and collect sales tax, while giving the big giant corporate retailer a break that puts said retailer at a clear advantage.

Thanks, Mr. Governor, for 'doing right by us.'
Sincerely,
Corporate America

Old 04-28-2011, 08:23 PM

Are you a store owner because all it means is "no change" for Tennessee Amazon customers?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:37 PM

39,014 posts, read 37,656,456 times
The best thing he has done is create jobs. Today's market is characterized by mobile capital and labor. Amazon could set up shop in most any state. Since they chose Tennessee, now 1,500 to 5,000 Tennesseans will be employed, hopefully getting off unemployment and other gov't programs.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 PM

336 posts, read 1,039,307 times
I agree with Laura. Amazon won't have a retail store presence here, instead they are hiring employees here. This just means that I won't have to pay more for the purchases I already make from Amazon. I'm not buying from them more frequently because they have a presence here. But, I do buy from them.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

336 posts, read 1,039,307 times
Amazon likely out if TN demands sales tax | Nashville Business Journal

Great. Now the Oak Ridge senator and Franklin rep are trying to force Amazon to charge sales tax, after the former and present governors both advised Amazon they wouldn't have to charge sales tax.

If these men have their way, 1400 jobs will probably be lost to Indiana. These state congressional leaders think it's good practice to go back on an agreement. There is no honor in politics.

After all, what's 1400 jobs lost? They still have theirs . . . for now.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM

230 posts, read 449,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Yeah, that's really 'doing right by us.' That's really doing the Mom and Pops and other local retailers 'right'...requiring them to charge and collect sales tax, while giving the big giant corporate retailer a break that puts said retailer at a clear advantage.

Thanks, Mr. Governor, for 'doing right by us.'
Sincerely,
Corporate America
You're categorically wrong about what is happening however, I do agree businesses should be treated equal. But the conversation we should be having is not "hey, I'm getting screwed so screw them too!" but "Hey, I'm getting screwed, let's talk about this!".

Translated: Tax breaks for everyone.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:35 AM

Default Amazon Is Hiring In Tennessee Now

Amazon will have locations in Lebanon (Nashville area), Chattanooga and Cleveland. They will open this Fall.

"Amazon is currently recruiting candidates for hundreds of jobs at its Tennessee facilities. Full-time hourly openings include roles in Picking, Packing and Receiving/Shipping. Management roles include positions in Operations, Safety, Human Resources and Technical Support."

The article lists the job benefits and says how to apply.

Amazon to Open Third Fulfillment Center in Tennessee, Creating Hundreds of New Jobs - MarketWatch

Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 AM

9 posts, read 17,420 times
Default Amazon Direct Hires?

Anyone have a clue on exactly what they are looking for? Or, if the actual Amazon interviewers are local?

I was interviewed by ISS on the 2nd day interviews began on Lee Hwy at Chat State - most of the people I spoke with outside afterward were told they weren't qualified, though having up from 7 to 15 years warehouse and/or pick/pack experience. I scored perfectly on their test - most others outside did, as well.

People I've spoke with recently are now getting direct hire offers - makes me wonder, if during the first interviews, they were being overly picky?

I can't find the key to having my qualifications looked over again - I've been a picker, used manual and battery hand jack, have driven fork lift/man lift/cherry picker (both battery and propane) and have a Class B CDL. Two years college in business, including production, though I didn't get a degree (changed my major.)

When I spoke with the interviewer, she didn't seem to understand my job history... most of my jobs have overlapped, working two and three jobs at a time... that she mistook a simple part time seasonal delivery job as being the previous job, when I was in fact also doing inventory at multiple locations with the same company for a couple years, as well.... I didn't even bother to mention all the mystery shop and other independent contractor jobs - I could tell that would confuse her even more... maybe a mistake, I mentioned I had sold books online via Amazon for years, too. I don't know.

She made the comment, I'd need to get off my seat and on my feet first, as my current job is on the computer... I'm '5"6 and about 140 pounds. Frankly, she obviously has no idea how much walking is involved on the delivery job (delivering phone books - done properly, is on the hinge side of the door at each house.)

I went online the other night, chatted online with a rep. He gave me one number, which lead to another. I called the second number during business hours, the recording said no one was there to take my call.

I'm currently employed at a seasonal job - two ladies there appear to be hired direct - both previous post office employees who worked at the same location... makes me think, one who is doing the hiring is regrouping old friends... but I can certainly understand, those who have worked for a substantial period for the post office would appear to be good candidates.

One is already hired and has a start date soon, the other was told to come in for the interview to be a direct hire... really? Without even interviewing her, she will be Amazons employee and not ISS?

Any info appreciated.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:16 PM

352 posts, read 699,667 times
Seems to me you need to re-apply and leave off most of the stuff you listed. No one wants to go through all the reading, and it actually would look like you had a revolving door on your jobs. As many apps as they go through, I can guarantee you they aren't reading word for word, and they are not listening if you talked that much in the interview.
I don't know about the direct hires. The apps that went in the first and second round were direct with Amazon. They maybe getting hired from the first round with Amazon themselves.
Downsize yourself, and shorten your answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee