U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 11:00 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times

Advertisements

To me this needs to be dealt with on a federal level. Either charge sales tax on internet orders, or only charge sales tax on orders made in a brick-and-mortar environment. Legislation on the fed level should take some of this drama out of it, and make sure that these sorts of deals can't be "reneged".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
I see this as sour grapes from the OP that disliked that Haslam slammed her guy, secession seeking, Rush Limbaugh-type theatrical Zach Wamp. And the OP is wrong.

This is not an additional tax. As previously written, we are suppose to be paying the tax, anyway.

I'm sorry but I care about my fellow small business owners. And the fact that Haslam was able to secure a company that will bring 2,000 to 5,000 jobs with a concession is fabulous.

And Jab, Haslam spoke to your point. "Amazon really wants there to be a national sales tax solution," Haslam said. "That's the ultimate answer because of all the internet sales tax that's not being collected, Amazon is just five or ten-percent."

And by the way, changing the situation had nothing to do with Haslam.

In the spring, the chairmen of the state legislature’s finance committees filed a bill that explicitly stated online retailers have to collect taxes when they open distribution facilities in Tennessee.

Similar complaints forced Amazon to agree to collect sales taxes at future dates in California and South Carolina.

Finally, Tennessee’s attorney general issued an opinion this week that said existing state law would generally require online retailers to collect sales taxes when they open warehouses in Tennessee.

“The national situation has changed,” Haslam said. “All of us are great quarterbacks on Monday, but I think the state ended up with a really good situation.”

Nice try.

It's always makes sense to be moderate.

Italicized portions of this post taken from The Tennessean.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 AM

6,486 posts, read 13,795,140 times
I agree that moderation is the key here and everywhere. I hope Amazon doesn't pull out of Tennessee but the headlines are still that they're planning on centers in Lebanon and Murfreesboro (gee, wouldn't it be nice to get some attention here in the Upstate??? oh well! ). That they're agreeing to pay taxes in Cali and SC as well seems to underscore the point that they're going to start doing this, for real.

All in all I would prefer NOT to pay taxes on Amazon orders, but a sale is a sale is a sale. I pay taxes when I buy stuff from Maine so I expect to pay taxes on Amazon orders even if they are online orders. It's been nice not paying them but a deal's a deal, and we agree to pay sales tax on stuff we buy.

Our system of taxes does not cover e-commerce very well, but our current political climate makes getting just about anything done practically impossible. Hope this is a good temporary solution but we can only have so many of those.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:08 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,250,290 times
Personal attacks on the OP and her intent aside, I think reneging on something that was agreed on sets a bad precedent and will not result in state coffers bulging with new found cash. Nor will local shop owners find that they have a stunning increase in business. I sincerely hope that jobs can be created, not lost, since I know all too many people living on the ragged edge.

I don't like or believe in dwelling on negatives or making divides between people. Nor do I believe all corporations are evil or naively think corporations as whole care about individuals. It's not as black and white as some would like to paint it, and extreme views result in no forward motion or positive changes, just sniping. I've long been a proponent of shopping locally, whether for food, books or furniture so it's neither a political nor a financial issue for me. Finger pointing and holier than thou stances on either side accomplish very little. Maybe a few of you can join me actually "do" something beside being keyboard warriors by supporting efforts like this (as an example):
http://www.the350project.net/states/TN.html Obviously you don't need to spend $50 per month to have an effect.

edit.... that was the TN businesses page. Here's the main page with the explanation: http://www.the350project.net/home.html

Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Personal attacks on the OP and her intent aside, I think reneging on something that was agreed on sets a bad precedent and will not result in state coffers bulging with new found cash. Nor will local shop owners find that they have a stunning increase in business. I sincerely hope that jobs can be created, not lost, since I know all too many people living on the ragged edge.

I don't like or believe in dwelling on negatives or making divides between people. Nor do I believe all corporations are evil or naively think corporations as whole care about individuals. It's not as black and white as some would like to paint it, and extreme views result in no forward motion or positive changes, just sniping. I've long been a proponent of shopping locally, whether for food, books or furniture so it's neither a political nor a financial issue for me. Finger pointing and holier than thou stances on either side accomplish very little. Maybe a few of you can join me actually "do" something beside being keyboard warriors by supporting efforts like this (as an example):
http://www.the350project.net/states/TN.html Obviously you don't need to spend $50 per month to have an effect.

edit.... that was the TN businesses page. Here's the main page with the explanation: The 3/50 Project ::: Home
As a small business owner, I'm already a member.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 5,001 times
I know a couple who worked last year's Christmas rush for 8 weeks at another center. They said it was VERY physically demanding and many could not cut it, quit early. Lots of speed walking, stooping, bending. Very fast paced. Also, they offered overtime and wanted those who would accept it. Maybe if you can emphasize those abilities, it would help.

Old 10-15-2011, 03:07 PM

10 posts, read 19,789 times
To put things in perspective, read Atlas Shrugged.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:38 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,401,830 times
Thumbs up News, Indications point to official Amazon announcement for new distribution center.

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -
There are indications in Rutherford County that the online retailer Amazon could soon announce their plans to break ground on a new distribution center.

Around two dozen pieces of heavy equipment were recently hauled to a plot of land right next to the proposed site on Joe B. Jackson Parkway in the southeast part of Murfreesboro.

Indications point to official Amazon announcement - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather and Sports |

Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 PM

818 posts, read 942,930 times
This is not good news. It means several minimum wage shipping jobs and now everyone in Tennessee will have to start paying sales tax on anything ordered from Amazon.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 PM

39,194 posts, read 37,806,900 times
Tennesseans are supposed to have been paying sales tax on all Amazon purchases all along. But nobody does, and the state has not followed through on collecting it. So now our state will finally earn income from these purchases, income that is desperately needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee