Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times

Advertisements

mrradio, I can't wait to say those same words myself in a few years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,378 times
Smile NewYorker now, Tennessean soon

When I move down, I will no longer be a New Yorker, I will be a Tennessean I have already met my future neighbors and like them, have not met anyone in Rogersville who was anything but polite, curious and welcoming. cannot wait to move to our new community!

Old 07-11-2007, 07:41 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlacey View Post
When I move down, I will no longer be a New Yorker, I will be a Tennessean I have already met my future neighbors and like them, have not met anyone in Rogersville who was anything but polite, curious and welcoming. cannot wait to move to our new community!
My parents will be among your new neighbors hjacey! They love living in Rogersville and we are there often. Nice town. When are you moving?

Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 AM

as soon as my house here in NY sells

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 AM

501 posts, read 1,064,205 times
I see what you're saying, but there are cities in the South too. I don't think this is a North/South thing. It's a city/country thing, at least when it comes to things like housing prices and cable television. If a slew of people from Atlanta moved up to eastern Tennessee, they would probably have the same gripes as those from New York.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 AM

117 posts, read 507,239 times
This is why people need to examine their motives for relocating. I have known many people that relocate to an area just to buy a cheaper house,experience a lower cost of living and etc. Or they relocate without considering other lifestyle factors(arts and culture,public transportation, political climate,leisure/recreation) that are absolute must haves.Just as a previous poster pointed out, it isn't really a North/South issue. If a person came from a big city in the North, there are big cities in the South that might be similar to the place where they came from. But then again, if a person is looking for a place that is like the one they are relocating from, why not just stay there? I guess that is the million dollar question.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:13 AM

62 posts, read 206,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzer21 View Post
I see what you're saying, but there are cities in the South too. I don't think this is a North/South thing. It's a city/country thing, at least when it comes to things like housing prices and cable television. If a slew of people from Atlanta moved up to eastern Tennessee, they would probably have the same gripes as those from New York.
This is also what I think too. I always tell people if they are city slickers they won't be happy living in Tn.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
LauraC advises this all the time. For those that don't LauraC, she researched the heck out of moving to Oak Ridge and has wonderful advice. I get to meet her in PERSON in a week or two and am truly honored!

Anyway, if you are from the country you are going to like the country. Even city size can be a problem. I can't see someone moving from Boston and being all that happy in Knoxville.

Honestly, I live in an area that is much like where I am from. About twenty minutes away from a small, blue-collar city with a great college near the mountains and in the rolling hills. It just has nicer people!

Old 07-12-2007, 05:04 PM

176 posts, read 799,758 times
Default From New York to TN

I received a number of private messages concerning my earlier posting about our move from New York to TN and asking if we encountered any cultural/ "yankee" problems. My answer-absolutely not!

We did not come down here with a chip on our shoulder nor did we reluctantly leave NY solely because of taxes, cost of living, etc. My wife and I were both born in New York City and lived our entire lives until our late fifties on Long Island. We owned a business there but we realized that NY was a losing proposition. We saw a decline in the quality of life over the decades in many ways-neighbors rarely talked to each other anymore, strangers were viewed with suspicion, etc. and, yes, the ever-escalating taxes, insurance, the anti-business governmental attitudes, traffic, crowding etc. made it clear that a move was in order.

Our business took us through the South. What has always amazed me is how blessed we are in this country with so many great places to live, not only in TN, but in all the states. But what we were looking for was not on Long Island. TN,KY and many other states offered so much that it was a simple decision to leave NY. Why stay where you're unhappy?

We felt accepted right away in our new TN home. People invited us over and we invited them. We never started on the "NY is better..." routine because if it HAD been better we would have stayed in NY. We loved TN from day one and are as enthusiastic today, four years later, as we were then. Starting over in a new locale reinvigorates you and encourages you to try new things. My sister in CT thinks we're crazy (she doesn't say so but it comes through) but if she's happy there in the shadow of NYC, then God bless her but it's not for us.

Will I ever go back to NY? Definitely. Our family grave site is there. That's the only way we're going back-as ashes in a small box! LOL

Find your dream and take it wherever it leads you.....

Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 PM

mrradio, I am looking foreward to moving to TN for some of the same reasons. I grew up in NE Calif. and moved to NY with my husband 23 years ago. I miss the small town atmosphere, nosey neighbors and all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee