U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 03:17 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,496,260 times

Advertisements

I've only been here in beautiful East Tennessee since September, I'm a yankee(damn yankee now!) and I have heard enough whining about how the southerners treat the northerners, the attitudes and every thing else the yanks can find to complain about. I've never experienced any of what I've heard about.
I'm from upstate NY, a part of upstate that is very much in demand and has become the most desireable place to live, have a second home or just be a weekender for those from the NY city area. Especially after 9/11, the city people flooded the area, drove up the housing market prices so a local kid just out of high school no longer can afford to live in his hometown. A few local buisinesses decided to raise their prices because "the city people will pay it" and those prices were to high and excluded the locals. But the locals live there year round, the city people are intermittent residents and those businesses went out of business.(wonder why???)
The attitude that was most often expressed was "the city people all come up here and ruin everything and try to change it so it is just like where they came from and they treated all the locals with suspicion( that we would rip them off) or they treated the locals like idiots, or they complained about the services that were offered in the area because the local cable company didn't offer 300 some odd channels. They failed to appreciate that at least that area had a cable company, moving to a rural area is very different from a city or suburban area. So NY state has an invisable line drawn threw it, the upstaters and the city people. The city transplants never endeared themselves to the locals because they were incessently comparing the big apple to rural farm country.
So the resentment simmered and it is at a point now where the locals dismiss anyone who moves there from the city. The locals attitude has become if you can't blend and learn our ways and learn how to fit in without making it another big apple, then don't waste my time talking or complaining to me.

Is anyone else noticing a huge similiarity here between the southerners and northerners? Don't you think it is time to stop making comparisons? Sure the south is different, but diversity makes our country unique. Why would you want the south to be a clone of the area you left behind in the north? I for one am enjoying learning local culture, meeting new people and experiencing new things that I never would have in NY. I like that the south is different and has a energy and vibrancy all its own. Instead of complaining what the south doesn't have that the north does, start embracing the new area you've moved to, instead of holding on tightly to these negative attitudes and complaints and enjoy your life while you live here.
Pam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 03:47 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,377,949 times
Well, as Abe said. " You can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you can't please all the people all the time."
Everyone is different and there will always be someone looking for a buck and there will always be someone looking to complain. It's life, doesn't matter what continent you are on, let alone what state.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 13 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,168,868 times
Pam: On another thread you said that southerners are not complaining or price gouging and that the transplants shouldn't complain. Yet, you didn't like it when people moved to your hometown. You are still complaining about it.

Maybe Southerners don't like that we are moving here. Maybe some of them are hostile. Maybe you haven't experienced that but others have. Maybe where you live, there is not a huge influx of transplants. Southerners can be feisty, and I can't blame them.

I got forced out of my hometown, too. I understand the Southerners that are mad and I understand you. But this is a great forum for airing our concerns. Please don't try to squelch that.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:07 PM

243 posts, read 624,325 times
Talking Tennessee

My feeling is as follows: If you move to an area, accept it for what it is. Do not try to change the people, the language or the culture. Oh, wait, should not the Spanish immigrants do the same?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,548,655 times
Maybe someone can give the definition of being a Southerner vs. Northerner??

I don't know if i'm a northerner from NH or southerner from FL but I never have a problem just fitting in wherever i am being who i am and not putting on a fake act just to make it look like i belong. I just be myself, mind my own business and live for myself. I know where the line crosses from being a nosey neighbor and a friendly neighbor. I'll welcome anyone to my neighborhood whoever they are as long as they don't bring trouble with them. Haven't run into any problems just being myself yet.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:23 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,377,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Maybe someone can give the definition of being a Southerner vs. Northerner??

I don't know if i'm a northerner from NH or southerner from FL but I never have a problem just fitting in wherever i am being who i am and not putting on a fake act just to make it look like i belong. I just be myself, mind my own business and live for myself. I know where the line crosses from being a nosey neighbor and a friendly neighbor. I'll welcome anyone to my neighborhood whoever they are as long as they don't bring trouble with them. Haven't run into any problems just being myself yet.
Me either. I just call myself a "East Coaster" hahahaha although after living in each place for at least 10 Years (more in CT) and I am very bad about picking up accents, people can't decide where I am from as it is now all kinda mixed together. I have had some people say for sure they would have pegged me for mid westerner. I say I am just me, an American.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,548,655 times
East coaster. that's a good one only i lived in the mountains of NH so that won't work for me. I guess i'll become a Half Backer and let everyone else decide what the want me to be.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 13 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,168,868 times
I had a local customer say to me today, "Oh, you just let your accent slip!"

I said, "Really? Where do you think I am from?"

He said, "Definitely Michigan or Ohio."

Imagine my delight!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:59 PM

812 posts, read 769,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klosk View Post
My feeling is as follows: If you move to an area, accept it for what it is. Do not try to change the people, the language or the culture. Oh, wait, should not the Spanish immigrants do the same?
OUCH.

The thing you have to realize is that a lot of Spanish speaking people have come here gotten somewhat sucessful and formed their own little pockets of society. This means that its very easy for immigrants to come here and not bother to learn English. I agree that if you come here speaking another language and want to become a citizen you should try to adopt the 'native language'. But to call it a requirement is shirking our imigrant ancestry; unless you speak Cherokee.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:23 PM

176 posts, read 566,969 times
Default I'm from New York and moved to TN

We never discuss NY or compare it to TN. Why should we? We moved here specifically to get away from NY and much of what was going on there. We investigated many areas of the country and found that the South, and more especially TN, had what we were looking for. Four years ago we found here what our hearts had been seeking and have been completely happy since. We have great new friends in a wonderful community, new interests, gave up stress-induced overeating (I now weigh what I did in my twenties) and got into exercising, we enjoy a lower cost of living and taxes,etc. What don't I like? I can't find certain Italian foods. Big deal.

Occasionally we go back to visit relatives, etc. but we would never move back to NY. We only wish TN could have been a part of our lives years ago but we're delighted that it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee