U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:17 AM

11,605 posts, read 31,783,697 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to the 16 football teams who played for the 8 state championships held this weekend at Tucker Stadium on the campus of Tennessee Tech in Cookeville. East Tennessee dominated, winning 6 of the 8 championships. Blount County alone won two state championships, Alcoa (3A) and Maryville (6A).

Here are the results:

Division II-A
Webb (Knoxville) - 42
Saint George's (Memphis) - 7

Division II-AA
Ensworth (Nashville) - 28
Baylor (Chattanooga) - 21

Division I-1A
South Pittsburg - 41
Jo Byrns (Cedar Hill) - 6

Division I-2A
Signal Mountain - 56
Trinity Christian (Jackson) - 28

Division I-3A
Alcoa - 56
Goodpasture Christian (Nashville) - 14

Division I-4A
Greeneville - 60
Trezevant (Memphis) - 12

Division I-5A
Columbia - 28
Hendersonville - 7

Division I-6A
Maryville - 23
Smyrna - 21

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:06 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Wow. I'm surprised a few of the coaches chose to run up the score like that.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:47 PM

9,490 posts, read 13,349,016 times
Congrats to all the teams, and also I want to add that I'm impressed by all the activities that Tech hosts.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:32 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,484,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow. I'm surprised a few of the coaches chose to run up the score like that.
Sometimes it's not a choice. Seriously. I coached high school football for 14 years, and sometimes it can be a challenge to hold the score down. I've done things like run the same two (or even one) simple running plays over and over, had guys playing out of position (Have a little, slow linebacker who's always dreamed of playing tailback? Here's his chance...they usually decide they don't really want to be a running back after all.). You have to be careful playing guys out of position so you don't get one hurt. And of course, you let your last-string guys play...and I've even instructed players to do all they can not to score short of anything obvious. And most of the time, the team is on board with that--no one likes a blowout...usually.

...and even with all the above, they'll still score sometimes. Sometimes the other team just literally gives it to you.

I've also been on the other end of that. While as a coach and player you can tell if someone is trying to run up the score, it can be just as humiliating, if not more so to have someone essentially sending you the message that you aren't good enough to be on the same field. While I never appreciated having the score run up on my (and got fairly angry over it once), I'd just as soon have the other team line up and give me their best shot rather than pull their punch...if that makes sense.

But, having been in the game for a lot of years, you may be right. May be some of those scores were run up...there are some jerks in the business. Most aren't, but there are some out there.

Congrats to all the teams who made the playoffs.

Heck, congrats to anyone who went out and played this year! You did more than a lot of other people did!

Old 12-06-2010, 11:08 PM

I know that coaches, especially at that level almost always try hard not to do that. Thanks for the perspective. I never thought about the poor coach trying his best not to let it happen and sweating it out. Excellent insight! Once again, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Sometimes it's not a choice. Seriously. I coached high school football for 14 years, and sometimes it can be a challenge to hold the score down. I've done things like run the same two (or even one) simple running plays over and over, had guys playing out of position (Have a little, slow linebacker who's always dreamed of playing tailback? Here's his chance...they usually decide they don't really want to be a running back after all.). You have to be careful playing guys out of position so you don't get one hurt. And of course, you let your last-string guys play...and I've even instructed players to do all they can not to score short of anything obvious. And most of the time, the team is on board with that--no one likes a blowout...usually.

...and even with all the above, they'll still score sometimes. Sometimes the other team just literally gives it to you.

I've also been on the other end of that. While as a coach and player you can tell if someone is trying to run up the score, it can be just as humiliating, if not more so to have someone essentially sending you the message that you aren't good enough to be on the same field. While I never appreciated having the score run up on my (and got fairly angry over it once), I'd just as soon have the other team line up and give me their best shot rather than pull their punch...if that makes sense.

But, having been in the game for a lot of years, you may be right. May be some of those scores were run up...there are some jerks in the business. Most aren't, but there are some out there.

Congrats to all the teams who made the playoffs.

Heck, congrats to anyone who went out and played this year! You did more than a lot of other people did!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:13 AM

11,605 posts, read 31,783,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Congrats to all the teams, and also I want to add that I'm impressed by all the activities that Tech hosts.
I agree. Tech and Cookeville really try their best to put on a good show for the rest of the state. This year there were over 400 volunteers who helped make the playoffs a success, and in spite of the frigid temperatures and frozen precipitation they're estimating a record-breaking crowd with over 40,000 attending the playoffs. I bet it was a lot of fun!

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,484,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I know that coaches, especially at that level almost always try hard not to do that. Thanks for the perspective. I never thought about the poor coach trying his best not to let it happen and sweating it out. Excellent insight! Once again, thank you.
No problems!

But, like I said you may be right about running the score up.

My worst experience as a high school player in this regard was when I was a sophomore we beat a team 80-0. In football. It was horrible. The coach (in my opinion, even then as a kid) was a no-class guy. He had us doing things like on-side kicks late in the game with us up by 60, trick plays, etc. It got so that some of us were fumbling on purpose...

But, to cap it off, he was quoted the next day in the local paper as saying "It's not as easy as it sounds to beat a team that badly. It's hard to stay awake that long." He later said he never said that, but it sounded like something that coach would say.

We were soooo embarrassed. It also just served to make us an even bigger target the rest of the season. I have no idea if this had any bearing on it, but it was both my and that coach's last year with that team. My parents moved and I played for a coach that was a much better example and he moved on to a larger school...climbing the coaching ladder. He was a great football coach...he knew the sport. But lots of guys know the X's and O's, but not everyone is the kind of example you'd want your kid to play for. And, IMHO, that is much more important at that level than the wins and losses.

OK...I'll get down off my soapbox now...

Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 AM

One of the best posts on City-Data, by far. One minute I was belly-laughing; the next, I was touched by your remarkable acumen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
No problems!

But, like I said you may be right about running the score up.

My worst experience as a high school player in this regard was when I was a sophomore we beat a team 80-0. In football. It was horrible. The coach (in my opinion, even then as a kid) was a no-class guy. He had us doing things like on-side kicks late in the game with us up by 60, trick plays, etc. It got so that some of us were fumbling on purpose...

But, to cap it off, he was quoted the next day in the local paper as saying "It's not as easy as it sounds to beat a team that badly. It's hard to stay awake that long." He later said he never said that, but it sounded like something that coach would say.

We were soooo embarrassed. It also just served to make us an even bigger target the rest of the season. I have no idea if this had any bearing on it, but it was both my and that coach's last year with that team. My parents moved and I played for a coach that was a much better example and he moved on to a larger school...climbing the coaching ladder. He was a great football coach...he knew the sport. But lots of guys know the X's and O's, but not everyone is the kind of example you'd want your kid to play for. And, IMHO, that is much more important at that level than the wins and losses.

OK...I'll get down off my soapbox now...

Old 12-08-2010, 07:15 PM

233 posts, read 616,495 times
Well, I can't address running up the score at the finals, but the victory for the Columbia Central Lions certainly was an inspirational one. Perhaps everyone should learn what happened to this team the day of their game. May they all learn the true meaning of victory.
http://www.columbiadailyherald.com/articles/2010/12/07/top_stories/01goodbyedylan.txt (broken link)

Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM

8 posts, read 10,116 times
i think the best team this year by far is....Signal Mountain. They have ALOT of college potential on that team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or