U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,310,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, snow rarely, rarely is an issue in Tennessee. It is still The South.

Really, the short answer is "don't worry about it." We just don't get much snow. And it depends on where you move, too. SW TN rarely sees snow. But it is not a very popular place to move to, either. But even in East TN, where most people seem to want to go, snow is not really an issue. If you are retired you will probably wait a couple of hours and then it will be melting.

Having said that, the National Weather Service is calling for major snow over the weekend and into Monday. For Knoxville, that means 0 to 3 inches. NE TN and the northern Cumberland Plateau expects to see 3 to 6 inches. This is pretty rare stuff, though.
The snow on the plateau I'll put up with.....

BUT, this is another story...

Monday Night
Mostly clear. Very cold. Lows around 5......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:26 PM

9,487 posts, read 13,349,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Monday Night
Mostly clear. Very cold. Lows around 5......
Indeed! We are expecting to get down to 7 here on Monday so I'm right there with with you on a big .
It snow flurried here last Saturday, looked a lot like the snow in Niotas pictures, BUT it has been so cold that snow is STILL on the ground, with more snow coming Monday. Looks like it might shape up to be an 'interesting' winter.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 PM

14 posts, read 22,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Slow down and dont stomp the breaks.
Okay, I can do that. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
While I know 2mares was being funny it is actually pretty good advice if you must drive. If you are retired driving in snow won't be much of an issue for you. That is one of the benefits of being retired, you don't have to be somewhere.

It snows infrequently here, is rarely more than an inch or so at a time and melts away pretty quickly. I can't speak for other counties, but what I have seen of Blount and Knox counties the roads are often coated in brine beforehand to help with keeping the roads de-iced.

If you feel you must be out and about, no matter what, then consider living closer in to a town rather than up in the mountains and you should avoid most problems.
Thanks! Good advice of course. Our corner of Texas is also VERY FLAT! Only "hills" around are levees and highway overpasses!

As to "you don't have to be somewhere" it seems everyone who is retired is constantly talking about how busy they are and are trying to figure out why they have so much to do! LOL So much for "kicking back"!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yes, snow rarely, rarely is an issue in Tennessee. It is still The South.

Really, the short answer is "don't worry about it." We just don't get much snow. And it depends on where you move, too. SW TN rarely sees snow. But it is not a very popular place to move to, either. But even in East TN, where most people seem to want to go, snow is not really an issue. If you are retired you will probably wait a couple of hours and then it will be melting.

Having said that, the National Weather Service is calling for major snow over the weekend and into Monday. For Knoxville, that means 0 to 3 inches. NE TN and the northern Cumberland Plateau expects to see 3 to 6 inches. This is pretty rare stuff, though.
Thanks! Good to know that this weekend is the exception rather than the rule. I was begining to think twice about researching East TN any further. SW TN is to humid, I'm told and I have to say that I really didn't impress me as East TN did.

Have a bit a distant family history connected to Hawkins County and would love to explore that area. Any thoughts on Rogersville? Is there still a community at Wallen (I think that's correct name)?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 PM

23,648 posts, read 21,977,910 times
I'll be out mowing the yard....

Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,244,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ55 View Post
Thanks! Good advice of course. Our corner of Texas is also VERY FLAT! Only "hills" around are levees and highway overpasses!

As to "you don't have to be somewhere" it seems everyone who is retired is constantly talking about how busy they are and are trying to figure out why they have so much to do! LOL So much for "kicking back"!

Well you are right about having a lot to do. We haven't sat down and been bored for most of our short retirement. The big BUT however is that unless you make it important, short of a medical emergency and an appointment that cannot be broken, there is no good reason for you to be on the road when the weather gets bad for the tiny amount of time it does. From years of living 'up north' you learn to stock the pantry in late fall with extra food like soup and keep some bread in the freezer and you are good to go even if you forgot to grocery shop when something does blow in for a day.

You will have some adjusting to do when driving anyway if you are used to nothing but flatlands. If you move here in the spring you'll be totally comfortable with the curves and hills by fall. Most of winter will be just fine as well. I happen to enjoy driving and the challenges of driving here are actually a joy.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 AM

363 posts, read 510,571 times
Ya know a storms a-coming when you go to the grocery store and find the shelves containing bread, peanut butter and toilet paper empty.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Monday night: Low around 11, so even we aren't immune, this time.

ZZ55, once again, it really depends on where you live in East TN. I'm in Knoxville and I don't deal with mountains at all. Not unless I take a trip, a hour or less away, to The Cumberland's or The Smokys. And there are lots of places that can be slightly hilly but not mountainous, just like here.

And the weather is the same. If you go to northeast TN, the Cumberland Plateau or up in the mountains of, say, Gatlinburg, you might see a bit more snow.

And above all, bear in mind that this is not New England or Michigan. People run to the grocery store if they even remotely hear the "s" word, but it is not going to be needed unless you have nothing in your kitchen and can't ride it out for, at the most, a day. And that is pretty rare. In five years I've never been housebound and even though I am a Yankee the truth is that I can't drive in the snow. Never could.

You're getting advice from people in different areas.

Bear in mind that this weather is bizarre and my southwest Florida relatives have been complaining that they are freezing to death down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee