Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 17,311 times

Advertisements

So I own a small web design firm in Seattle. As Seattle is one of the most tech savvy cities in the nation, if not the most, everyone knows a web developer...so it's pretty hard to penetrate this market. So I have been thinking of penetrating other markets. I was thinking of penetrating the big cities of Tennessee. So my question is, how tech savvy are the big cities of Tennessee? I obviously don't want the level of competition that I see in Seattle. However, I want to be able to market to people that can appreciate the power of a website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It is definitely a shortcoming in this area, something major employers count as a negative when they consider moving here. The area does not have a huge, highly skilled IT workforce. (programmers etc.)
As for whether people can appreciate the value of a good website, I think it may be a case of not knowing what you need or whether you need it. Those who own their own businesses will appreciate it, but not the majority of Tennesseans.
Still, there is a growing number of smart, creative people here, and they're going to need to work somewhere.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
I worked for tech support for Comcast for a few years in TN and now own my own business.

I'm not sure I understand the statements, "As for whether people can appreciate the value of a good website, I think it may be a case of not knowing what you need or whether you need it. Those who own their own businesses will appreciate it, but not the majority of Tennesseans," especially the bold.

You are not sure if Tennesseans understand the value of a good website? Why? This is a state in the United States of America, not a third world country. Doing tech support I can tell you that there is just as many internet addicts here than anywhere else. I have also met some of the smartest people here in all of my 49 years. People here are not backward in some way. I live in a city that has the flagship school for the University of Tennessee. Nashville has Vanderbilt University.

I am quite sure that I am not understanding the question and statement. Well, I understand the question, I think. No, this is not Seattle, so yes, this might be a nice market to break into. I guess the answer has knocked me for a loop.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:36 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
There are a couple ways to take your post.
1. You are not good enough to compete in the Seattle marketplace, so you think that if you go to some backward State, you can be a success.
2. Don't have any idea of the demographics in Tennessee.
The above was meant with a "touch" of humor.

There is no shortage of web designers in the Knoxville market, in fact there is one that has a store front in downtown. Same can be said for the Nashville and Chattanooga areas as well. I don't know anyone in Memphis, but I'm sure there are plenty too.

That said, if you are good at what you do, and charge a fair price for your services, there is no reason why you can't succeed.

By the way, my daughter lives in Renton.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:00 AM

7 posts, read 17,311 times
Hi everyone. So I did try out Tennessee and I've had very good results so far. Thanks for everyone's input.

@Barking Spider, where in Renton does your daughter live? And have you been up here?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:25 AM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Another thing to keep in mind, not just for a career point of view: Here in the DC area, it seems like every other person on the street is holding some mobile device. That's considered "tech savy". Almost everyone has their Facebook page as well. Yes, the gap in terms of "how far behind the times" I suspect in TN way be waning, but I have a hunch that is definately still there. For instance, I perceive that people in TN mainly just have flipphones and still listen to CDs, with MP3s and Smartphones considered "geeky" down there. Many probably still don't have an HDTV as well. Many probably have just basic cable and dial-up Internet, but is that just a myth? Volunteers, give us your thoughts!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
I ... am ... sorry ... my ... dial ... up ... keeps ... going ... out ... and ... I ... can't ... reply.

Plus my arm is tired from carrying around my big cell phone in its shoulder case.
CDs? Are those something like 8 tracks?
Can you get HDTV in black and white? Will my husband still have to hold the antenna while we watch TV?

Are you serious? Fed Ex, Nissan, HCA, Autozone, International Paper, and many more have their corporate HQs based in TN. Toshiba's television software office is based in Nashville and designs HD TVs for the entire world. This isn't a 3rd world country. Perhaps you should use some of your technology to do some research.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:22 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I'm just concerned about the Fruedian implications of using the word "penetrate" 3 times in 3 consecutive sentences.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
According to this site, Knoxville is at the top if a list of cities with the highest penetration (sorry Don) of no internet access. (Their phrasing, not mine.)
http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...e-us-jan-6.pdf
But this site says 72.9% of Tennesseans are Internet users, though it doesn't define "use." You know, one time or ???
United States Internet and Facebook Usage State by State
Still, Tennessee's high school graduation rate is 75%, and only 45% of Tennesseans graduate from college.
So while the area where brentwoodgirl and I live and other metro areas have a high number of residents with postgraduate degrees and are very tech savvy, there are plenty of residents who are not exactly there.

Old 01-14-2011, 05:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
Quote:
For instance, I perceive that people in TN mainly just have flipphones and still listen to CDs, with MP3s and Smartphones considered "geeky" down there. Many probably still don't have an HDTV as well. Many probably have just basic cable and dial-up Internet, but is that just a myth? Volunteers, give us your thoughts!
Haha not really. I mean if you wander out to backwoods Tennessee you'll probably still find a lot of dial-up Internet but that's because that's what's accessible. I'd say you can find the same situation in rural upstate New York, backwoods California or Washington and certainly in parts of Texas and Florida.

As for smartphones, those have penetrated all the markets fairly well. All of my friends are definitely very tech-savvy Android-using, mp3 playing, cloud-computin' intarweb fiends. Of course we're in our early 20s so it might take another decade or so for the "tech-savvy" label to stick really well.

And that's just in the Tri-Cities and Knoxville. In Nashville and Memphis, of course you'll find tech-savvy people and businesses. Both cities have huge industry in place that supports and draws from marketing, web developing, design, etc.

As for TVs, at least at the Target I work at we sell HDTVs by the crapton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee