U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM

129 posts, read 407,624 times

Advertisements

from my personal experience I would get on 127 in Signal Mountain. Go through Dunlap and then onto Pikeville. In Pikeville they have one area which is staged as an old Civil War camp and you can find some REAL handmade crafts and goods...thats where I have found my best finds...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 AM

27 posts, read 45,378 times
The "RUN" is our favorite trip. We have been hitting the road for 10 years. We always find something. The last 3 years we have started in Danville KY. We always take our vacation around the Run as I call it.
We usually do one day. We start out around 6am to Danville. That gets us in Jamestown near noon. Last time they had a car rally in Jamestown. We stopped and saw all the antique calls. Pretty good.

Last year Dunlap didn't have as much going on as the year before. I was dissapointed. Signal Mtn was hot. Had some great finds.

I would like to go above Danville sometime. I had a friend go that way and she found loads of things all the way to the Ohio line. We can never do more than a day. I have a cat that has a heart problem, so we stay close.

You will have a blast.
FYI:
1. Bring alot of water. Looks like this year is going to be a hot one
2. Bring a canvas bag that you can carry comfortable for all your goodies.
3. Haggle on prices, Alot of the vendors will come down on prices.
4. Don't look egar over a item. Dead give away and will not move an inch on price.
5. Bring munchies. You wil so envolved looking you will forget to eat.
6. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 PM

23,663 posts, read 21,998,807 times
Need to post photo's of all those great unusual finds and oddity's that the 127 has too offer.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 PM

3 posts, read 7,139 times
The first year I went I found an adorable lamp for my grandson's room that had a wodden airplane on it in AL for $3.00. Way up in TN I found a mate for it that has a wodden train on it $6.00. Painted in reds, blue, green, Yellow which was the color scheme for the room. I could not believe it. I later found the lamps at Target for $120.00. That was the best find ever! The lamps and shades were in pristine shape.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,000 times
Talking my tips & hints for wlys.

This is our families 3rd year going & we can hardly wait!! Our 1st year out we "winged it" & couldn't find a room from Dunlap to pikeville after driving up from Fla. We spent the night with 100+ cars/rvs in the walmart parking lot. I was nervous but the people next to us assured us that it was safe & that they did this every year. It was fine, just a truck or 2 durring the night driving by. (I now have ear plugs in my glove compartment) Kids & I bought treats in walmart with the $$$ we saved on rooms. Next day, We ate from a wide assortment of fast food places. (so everyone got their fav's, a wonderful memory & way to start our day) and headed off to crossville. I almost swooned from all the great deals. Set up camp in the state park. decided to spend a 2nd day here as there is ALOT of sellers up & down the side roads & 127. Things i learned: 1: If you need anything..just ask the locals as they LOVE helping you. 2: Bring as little as possible in the car to allow for all your pkgs. A small cooler will do, just fill it up at walmart & local stores. plenty of "dollar" menus around. 3: give each person a sm journal- its priceless later. 4: bring flip flops to wear going in& out of car, save the shoes for for lg groups of sellers. in the heat, your feet will thank you. 5: wear T shirts & shorts. it can get HOT. 6: bring lots of singles & $5s, & a camera. 7: Laugh alot!!! as this is the happiest time for such a large group of people around the USA to be together.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Default 2011 yard sale trip

My friends and I are also driving to Chattanooga Tenn from Florida and turning around and yard sale back to Gadsden Alabama. It will be our first time to do the route and are excited. We already have our hotels booked and are making lists of what we will be looking for. We have no expectations, just to have a good time spending time together.

If you have any advice,we would love to hear from you.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:52 PM

246 posts, read 635,515 times
I see some mis-information on this thread. Fall Creek Falls is nice but it is not along 127 and is out of the way. Dunlap has two decent places to stay, one being in the center of town and the other along the interstate called MountainInn and Suites. These are both good places. When going towards Pikeville there is a tiny place with Indian Teepees set up with rooms for overnight rent. DO NOT GO THERE. The rooms are horrible. Same with Pikeville. Don't plan on staying in the Bed and Breakfast there or the Motel. Nasty. When you leave PIkeville about 5 miles out of town towards Crossville there will be cabins on the left and a lot of good vendors. That's a good stop with good food. Enter Crossville and a good stop would be a place right near Walmart on the left. Keep going and cross the Instate there and there will be really huge sets up with tons of stuff. Lots of hotels in Crossville and I don't know of any who has deliberately raised their prices due to this event.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:39 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,276,584 times
[quote=MountainAire;20145203]I see some mis-information on this thread. Fall Creek Falls is nice but it is not along 127 and is out of the way. Dunlap has two decent places to stay, one being in the center of town and the other along the interstate called MountainInn and Suites. These are both good places. When going towards Pikeville there is a tiny place with Indian Teepees set up with rooms for overnight rent. DO NOT GO THERE. The rooms are horrible. Same with Pikeville. Don't plan on staying in the Bed and Breakfast there or the Motel. Nasty. When you leave PIkeville about 5 miles out of town towards Crossville there will be cabins on the left and a lot of good vendors. That's a good stop with good food. Enter Crossville and a good stop would be a place right near Walmart on the left. Keep going and cross the Instate there and there will be really huge sets up with tons of stuff. Lots of hotels in Crossville and I don't know of any who has deliberately raised their prices due to this event.[/quote]

I agree with all you said except the hotels raising their prices during this event. When we first moved here we stayed at one of the hotels by the Peavine Exit. We were charged $60.00 for the room. It was a nice room. Later that year we had a client come into our business staying at the same hotel during the 127 yard sale (she didn't even come to Crossville for the sale) and she was being charged around $100 for the place.

I'm not saying they are evil villians it's just business. Supply and demand. It's just like when some store owners charge more for organic foods.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:57 PM

451 posts, read 1,173,466 times
We usually travel a little to the west to Cookeville for a good motel at a more reasonable price. I agree that Crossville does charge more for the same during the yard sale weekend. We made the mistake of not making reservations and having to scrounge around for a room in Crossville the first time we went. After that, we realized Cookeville was worth the little extra drive.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:24 AM

27 posts, read 45,378 times
Looks like the run this year is going to be a hot one. Reminds me of 2 years ago. I went thur 3 bottles of water just walking around for 1 hour. Everyone make sure you have water. The best water to get is Smart Water. It has electrolytes in it. They have at Krogers and it is doesn't cost alot but you will feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee