U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-09-2010, 04:37 PM

38 posts, read 59,577 times
Default HWY 127 Yard Sale 2011

My wife and I are planning on a trip to Tenn HWY 127 Yard Sale in Aug of 2011.

We were planning on starting a little north of Chattanooga area and go around 50 miles or less per day for all 4 days.

What we need is Motel ideas from locals who may have done this route before and could suggest a few Motels along the way as well as what areas would be best for real yard sale stuff and where the professional yard sellers are located so we can avoid them (time wasters) hahahaha.

We are asking for this info now because the hotel bookings may start to fill up soon.

Any other suggestions or ideas would be great.

Thanks
Rodney and Alicia
Fort Myers, Fl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Location: Not far from the "Little Obed River" on the Cumberland Plateau TN
10,442 posts, read 10,115,046 times
This link may help.. The 127 Sale-The World's Longest Yard Sale
I never been... but was in Crossville the week after in 2008. Still people set up. From what I gather they set up a week in advance in most places.
I have read other post where people stayed at the Alpine Inn Cookeville.. only 35 miles west of Crossville off I-40.. I know hotels in the Crossville area are very pricey in and around that time. In 2008 they had a ladies golf championship in Fair Field Glade and all room where booked months in advance.
So when booking look at what's going on besides the 127 Yard Sale.
Falls Creek Falls 30 miles South of Crossville also had a special that week / week end of yard sale.
Contact the Inn at Falls Creek Falls..http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/FallCreekFalls/
And the Chamber of Commerce for Pikeville & Dunlap Tennessee for more places to stay...

Unread 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,432,542 times
Just drove through Dunlap today. Can't think of a place there you'd want to over night.

Fall Creek Falls is very nice I hear. I've never made it out there but I've never heard a bad thing about it. Crossville will have plenty nice places.

The Signal Mountain area north of Chattanooga is GORGEOUS!! If you can find a place there I'd book it. Beautiful area.

Are you going all the way into KY? I've been through Albany. Not a bad town, but I don't recall seeing a hotel there. Perhaps a B&B? They've got some nice older homes there. Never done more than drive through or stop for coffee, but it's not a bad little place.

I can't give you any specific hotels to skip or stop at though. Just general ideas of the areas. Wish I could help more. PS - I'm a Naples escapee!!!!! Welcome to you my northern friend! LOL

Unread 12-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Default Thanks

We plan on retiring to Tenn that is one of the reasons for this trip.

We plan on covering about 50 miles per day so in 4 days that will be around 200 miles, have not looked on the map yet to see where we will end our journey.

Thanks for the information and I am glad you were able to escape Naples.

Unread 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Look at 111 from Soddy-Daisey just North of Chattanooga.. follow that North to Cookeville.. and see all the roads that connect east & west.. 4 lane beautiful drive.. connects with 127 & 70 & I-40. Falls Creek Falls & Pikeville... area.. 70 east heads into Crossville from Sparta..
The Chamber of Commerce of that town / city will send you "FREE" information.. just be specific on what you ask for.. they will go out of their way to please a traveler.. also look at Trip Advisor for hotel reviews on what other Travelers said... on that hotel.

Unread 12-11-2010, 10:52 AM

5,102 posts, read 7,432,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Look at 111 from Soddy-Daisey just North of Chattanooga.. follow that North to Cookeville.. and see all the roads that connect east & west.. 4 lane beautiful drive.. connects with 127 & 70 & I-40. Falls Creek Falls & Pikeville... area.. 70 east heads into Crossville from Sparta..
The Chamber of Commerce of that town / city will send you "FREE" information.. just be specific on what you ask for.. they will go out of their way to please a traveler.. also look at Trip Advisor for hotel reviews on what other Travelers said... on that hotel.
I agree. If you're looking to move, this is the most gorgeous area. That's just my opinion of course, but I couldn't be happier that we wound up here!

Unread 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM

I will look that up on a map, thanks that will help in planning our trip.

Unread 12-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy4sp View Post
I will look that up on a map, thanks that will help in planning our trip.
And don't forget use side roads to explore...

This link will give you some ideas for exploring Tennessee.... http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/landforms/

Unread 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM

446 posts, read 759,900 times
I go on the 127 experience every year. The hotels in Crossville double or even triple their costs for the weekend of the yardsale. We avoid that by travelling a little off track to Cookeville, where there are many nice hotels right along the interstate 40 for much cheaper prices than you can find in Crossville. You will enjoy the yardsale if you plan on slow traffic and sometimes hard to find parking spots. The merchants along the route can be quite snarky about allowing anyone to park in their lots, so watch for signs. Usually you can park for free in a nearby field that is allotted for parking. The area around Dunlap has many good places to stop and shop usually. There are clusters of sellers in certain spots.... some of them will be the 'professional sellers' you mentioned, but some are true yard sales from the attic and garage, so you will just have to walk and look around. Good luck and i hope you enjoy your excursion!

Unread 12-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Dunlap Chamber of Commerce with interactive map of the area..
Sequatchie County & Dunlap, TN Chamber of Commerce - Home

Pikeville Chamber of Commerce Bledsoe County.. http://www.pikeville-bledsoe.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee