Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It's been snowing on the plateau for almost 2 hours now....heading toward Knoxville.... We're expecting 3-6" by tomorrow morning....

Y'all be careful....
I was out until around 3:00P when it then started to stick on the roads. Until then the roads were just wet even though at times it was coming down pretty good. Saturday night we managed to get our parade in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I had the heater going, off and on, for awhile. Never got it beyond 65, really. But I think it quit for the night. Unfortunately, the emergency heat refuses to kick in. It just blows out ice-cold air. I am bummed. Have one fireplace going, the oven on, two rooms with ceiling heat and the electric heater in the bathroom on. It isn't enough to create real heat, but should be enough to stave off the pipes freezing. I hope.

It shouldn't go higher than 25 degrees, tomorrow so it is going to be an uphill battle, that is for sure. We are considering buying a space heater. We can take it down to the shop and bring it home for the night. My husband has been working at the shop with no heat. He finally came down with a cold. Poor thing!

Those heaters are pretty cheap now, I think. Anyone know where they are on sale, or a good one to get? Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
At 8am it was 10 degrees with a wind chill of -5 and still snowing on the plateau..... 7-8 inches so far...

Hik...you should have a switch on your thermostat to force the emergency strips on ?

Old 12-13-2010, 07:50 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Okay, when you heard it was going to snow, did you run out and buy toilet paper?

When I lived in NY and to a lesser degree, Maryland, when a big snow (or hurricane) was announced everyone ran to the store for milk, bread and toilet paper. I'm thinking if we ever have surprise serious weather the TV news stories will all start, "They had plenty of heat and food, Tom, but they all died from lack of toilet paper planning."

Old 12-13-2010, 08:04 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
We got 3 inches south of Maryville, near Chilhowee Mtn. It's gorgeous, and I wish today could have been a day off. HAD to get to work today (payroll MUST get out), so made the 1.5 hour drive (usually 40 minutes) because I had about 8 miles of secondary roads to drive down before getting to primary roads. Think ice covered by snow, hills and curves. Lots of them.

Now all I have to do is get home safely this afternoon.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
Oh, and Ms. Laura? We keep TP on hand all the time. Don't have to rush out with everyone else.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:08 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Okay, when you heard it was going to snow, did you run out and buy toilet paper?

When I lived in NY and to a lesser degree, Maryland, when a big snow (or hurricane) was announced everyone ran to the store for milk, bread and toilet paper. I'm thinking if we ever have surprise serious weather the TV news stories will all start, "They had plenty of heat and food, Tom, but they all died from lack of toilet paper planning."
Not a problem....good point though....

We have always planed for an emergency event in case we're not able to go to town....

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I buy TP in bulk, running out is never a problem.

So far just an inch or two, but the sun keeps peeping out and it's really pretty.
Attached Thumbnails
Snow....-031.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Hik- i've heard that the oil filled radiator-type heaters are pretty efficient.

LauraC- I have a little private joke about the milk/egg/bread run that EVERYONE does before snows. I'm fully convinced it's for that apres-snow french toast that everyone must be making!
Greg is going to try to head home soon- guess i'll be getting out in a bit to go get some milk. The way this house goes through it.....I should've bought another gallon yesterday

Old 12-13-2010, 11:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Bones, we have the emergency heat switch, but when I turn it on, cold air pours out of the registers.

Fred is off to get a space heater but he's going to bring it to the shop. See if anyone needs any repairs in the snow. Then he'll bring it home with him tonight. In the meantime, I have the two fireplaces and two bedrooms with ceiling heat. The living room ceiling heat conked out this past week, and wow, are we ever paying for that. Unfortunately, no one fixes or even makes ceiling heat anymore. It was a 1950s thing.

Off to get pics for beckycat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee