U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 07-13-2007, 10:04 AM

327 posts, read 565,097 times
The actual speech itself is slower here too. I don't mean drawling out words either I mean long pauses after questions and between phrases. People take their time while speaking in conversation. It was something that took a while for me to get used to. I interrupted people more than once because I thought they weren't understanding my point/question.

Unread 07-13-2007, 10:09 AM

2,078 posts, read 4,857,706 times
yes...some of us will have to relearn how to have a conversation with someone. Instead of thinking about what we're going to say next....we'll need to start listening intently to the other person

Unread 07-13-2007, 10:30 AM

3,454 posts, read 4,372,661 times
I do have to comment, that, for an area with a slower-paced lifestyle, it's ironic that you folks have some of the fastest drivers I've ever seen. (and some of them in cars I can't believe are still on the road lol!)

Unread 07-13-2007, 10:53 AM

762 posts, read 875,940 times
Default It's a convoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I do have to comment, that, for an area with a slower-paced lifestyle, it's ironic that you folks have some of the fastest drivers I've ever seen. (and some of them in cars I can't believe are still on the road lol!)
We have to keep up with the trucks or get run over!

Unread 07-13-2007, 11:04 AM

364 posts, read 658,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
WoWA....

you don't like "Ug", the little caveman that buys ugly homes?
I like the commercials its just the signs that clutter the road way. It use to be just garage sales but now it seems regular business like to do it making a huge mess. But luckily the homeless people on the corners recycle them by using them as the will "work for food"

Unread 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM

10,092 posts, read 10,280,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
yes...some of us will have to relearn how to have a conversation with someone. Instead of thinking about what we're going to say next....we'll need to start listening intently to the other person
I was told that's why god gave you two ears and only one mouth! A perfect example of talking fast is try listening to someone from New Jersey or New York. I took me forever to speed up my mind to process what they were saying when I drove trucks out there. It must be trained, how else could you have a 10 minute conversation in 3?

Unread 07-13-2007, 12:18 PM

21,012 posts, read 15,126,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
I'm sure this sounds like a silly question, but I'd really like to know exactly what everyone means when they say that there is a slower pace of life in TN. I think I have an idea in my head, but having spent my entire life in Northern CA where things are go, go, go all the time, I'm not sure I grasp it all. Some definition would be appreciated. Thanks so much!
Slower pace of life for me might have something to do with retirement and a different attitude on my part, but I noticed people around here don't need a reason to talk to you. I like it. I'm trying to be more like them instead of steamrolling around town in my own little fog, oblivious to my surroundings and the people in it, like I did in MD and NY.

I don't care if the approximately 80 year old lady in front of me at the supermarket wants to pick up the scandal tabloid newspaper and comment to me on the headline about Queen of England giving George Bush advice on divorcing Laura Bush during her visit to the USA. I don't get twitchy when I'm in the post office now and the clerk is giving detailed advice on places to go and things to see to the person at the counter while I'm in a line 6 people deep. It doesn't bother me that when I'm in the bookstore the employee who I have never seen before in my life. and is going to help me find my book, tells me all about her new niece born a few days ago even though the book I am looking for is political and has nothing to do with babies to prompt such a conversation. I no longer feel like I'm being interrogated if strangers I meet ask me questions about my hard to pronounce name, where I'm from or how I like it here, so far. I've never been asked my opinion of one food product over another by a fellow supermarket shopper but it has happened here. I don't mind it at all if while I'm fishing on the pier some semi-retired court officer comes up to me and tells me all about his life while giving me advice on fishing and lure presentation before he went off to work. I thought it was really nice when the local moving guy volunteered the info about how much I would like it here and told me some things about the area and the people as well as some things about himself/his job instead of racing to go to the next job.

All of the above has happened to me since I have been here. In the past, I would have been suspicious, in a hurry, thought my personal bounds were crossed, was being interrogated or would have been annoyed, but I find the attitude to be infectious and I really like it and I'm trying to be just like the people I've encountered when I meet new people.

Also, I always had this attitude that I didn't want to keep people from their job or what they were doing. You know, do what you want/do what you have to do, get in and get out quickly is best for everyone involved. Not true here, in my opinion. People like to engage you and you are thought better of if you take the time to engage them.

Now, about moving slowly. I used to have this attitude that people in the South do things too slowly, like walking, and somehow that should count as a negative. Well let me tell you, nothing is gained by rushing around in the heat unless you want to get where you're going like a soppy wet dishrag. I take my time, too, now. In fact, I'm beginning to think moseying is a virtue/talent.

I can't compare the drivers on the highway because I don't commute anymore.

Unread 07-13-2007, 12:52 PM

762 posts, read 875,940 times
Default Give me room, lots of room . . .

If a person is working outside this time of year and doesn’t take a slower pace, that person might just wake up in a nearby ER!

Just kidding.

I believe it has to do with population density. Probably most people have heard over the years the studies done about the effects of livestock living in crowded conditions as well as humans and pets. Living in compacted areas promotes deleterious effects upon the inhabitants. Impatience, extreme at times, is one of those many effects.

Most of the ill effects of face-paced life I’ve experienced have been in and around big cities that are densely populated.

Three of my experiences:
Seattle, population 582,454, density: 6717 persons/sq.mi.
Denver, population 566,974, density: 3617 persons/sq.mi.
Portland, population 537,081, density: 3939 persons/sq.mi.

The above cities are “face-paced” to the extreme, in my opinion.

Now for Tennessee examples:
Nashville, population 552,120, density: 1153 persons/sq.mi.
Knoxville, population 182,337, density: 1877 persons/sq.mi.
Chattanooga, population 155,190, density: 1151 persons/sq.mi.
Memphis, population 670,902, density: 2327 persons/sq.mi.

Of course, there are much worse places:
Los Angeles, population 3,849,378, density: 7877 persons/sq.mi.
Miami, population 404,048, density: 10,161 persons/sq.mi.
New York City, population 8,214,426, density: 28,403 persons/sq.mi.

As we all know, a few bad apples can spoil a whole barrel. Well, it follows that a few bad apples in a giant barrel can spread that spoilage to a much greater extent (especially in traffic).

Any of those “bad apples” who are in constant fear of losing their jobs, or medical insurance, or handling heavy debt can show their frustrations and impatience any number of ways. It isn’t that Nashville, for example, doesn’t have such people, but those people don’t have the opportunity to spread their bad vibes to so many others in such a short span of time or distance because of the lower density of population.

Those feelings of being penned-in and oppressed can creep up on one. And then comes impatience. And then comes the constant rush to get on with it (whatever “it” is).

Unread 07-13-2007, 01:46 PM

203 posts, read 516,768 times
Thanks everyone! It sounds like it will take some getting used to, more for my husband (born and raised in Oakland, CA) than for me, but I can't wait to submerse myself in that "slower pace." I think we're actually at about the 12 month mark now, and counting. Hopefully I don't lose my mind completely before we're able to get out of here.

Unread 07-13-2007, 02:28 PM

8,751 posts, read 19,463,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Thanks everyone! It sounds like it will take some getting used to, more for my husband (born and raised in Oakland, CA) than for me, but I can't wait to submerse myself in that "slower pace." I think we're actually at about the 12 month mark now, and counting. Hopefully I don't lose my mind completely before we're able to get out of here.
I think you'll do just fine! As everyone else has done so well in explaining, the "slower pace of life" can be a very refreshing change. And in the summer heat, a necessity!

And if you move to the Eastern half of the state (Nashville on east), you can easily go to Atlanta for a day and experience all the traffic, fast-talking Northerners, and high density living that you'd ever want. And then breathe a sigh of relief as you drive back across the state line into Tennessee that you don't have to actually LIVE in that kind of environment anymore. (The drive from Chattanooga to Cookeville, in particular, is one of the most beautiful drives in the state with almost zero traffic and does wonders at de-stressing you after a day in Atlanta.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee