Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 AM

6 posts, read 14,673 times

Advertisements

We are planning on retiring to TN and have looked at several areas over the last couple of years including the whole Knoxville region, Cookeville area and now starting to get information on Cleveland area. We like the Eastern side of TN . Our dilemma is finding the area we can settle for retiring but would also be a good place for our almost 22 year old son (unskilled unfortunately) to move and start a new life, so the area would have to have job opportunities. We realize that jobs are difficult everywhere, but were hoping to find somewhere that when the economy picks up, the city would get back on it's feet. Some areas never had any jobs to begin with! We are not city dwellers and would like a couple acres outside of a city of 30,000-40,000 or less probably. Cookeville was nice but our understanding is that there is no jobs there. Any potential for jobs has left like in most cities. We have heard that Cleveland has a lot of companies there and is about the right size. There is a lot of talk of Knoxville on the Tennessee boards and Chattanooga but not much mention of Cleveland. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:01 PM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
I grew up in Cleveland. It's a nice town! It's grown a lot in the past few years and might be a bit more crowded than what you're looking for. The areas in Bradley County and the surrounding counties are just lovely. You might want to look into Georgetown, Charleston, Calhoun, Dayton. They aren't too far outside of Cleveland (for jobs) and feel much less crowded. Good luck!

Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I looked into Cleveland when contemplating my move and even visited. In the long run, I was glad I picked Knoxville. I think it is a "taste" thing and you would probably have to visit both to see.

More importantly, though, you might want to look at a place that will give your son additional education. The University of TN in Knoxville might be a good place to start. Or he could go to technical school. My husband went for two years to become an auto mechanic, a decision that paid off in spades.

Just having a high school education is never going to work in this economy and moving forward. In fact, a bachelors degree is the minimum, or a trade degree, in order for someone to even look at you. The chances of anyone making more things in this country go lower, everyday, and it has been that way since the 60s-early 70s.

Have him apply for financial aid as soon as possible.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM

SkyBlue, thanks for your response. This is going to be harder than I thought. It's just too hard to cover all areas of TN that we would like to find an area. i'm about ready to throw my hands in the air and say Forget it! I don't know how in the world people figure out where they want to live after they retire, especially if they have lived most of their life in one place. And then to try and figure out where we might want to live and allow for your kids to live and succeed too! A retirement area and place for young people starting their lives may be two entirely different places!

Hiknapster I know all about everyone demanding college education whether they are scooping cow poop somewhere or working on computers, and have tried to tell my son all about this. But so far, he hasn't "gotten it". Makes a person wonder how all the people that grew up years ago and got jobs and were successful at it even managed without a Masters! My dad lived a very productive life and had many, many skills that a college educated person may never have, and he only went through the 5th grade before he had to quit and help with the household and farm. But being in an area where there is a trade school and some college is a very smart thing to do, because I know someday he will see that it is a must anymore. I would think that Cleveland would have both in addition to colleges in Knoxville?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 PM

You're welcome. I know it must be really hard to decide! So many things are just a matter of what you might personally like, as hiknapster said. We live in Nashville now, and I love it! I would find it hard to move back to Cleveland--simply because I like the amenities of a larger city. I've never lived in Knoxville, but my husband worked there for several years. For whatever reason, it just didn't suit us as well as the Nashville area seems to. Anyway, I'm way off track! In Cleveland you'll find Cleveland State Community College and Lee University. Athens has Tennessee Wesleyan College and maybe others that I'm not familiar with. Chattanooga is a pretty easy commute if the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is of interest eventually for your son. I like that it's an easy drive to Atlanta, Knoxville, and Nashville from Cleveland. It definitely has a conservative feel there, especially compared to Nashville. Where do you live now? Would it be possible to come and visit the different areas for a bit?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that Lee University is school run by The Church of God. That may be a consideration. It is a highly conservative area. Very religious with a strong underlying drug problem.

Anyway, Aerorider, you are preaching to the choir. I usually can run circles around folks with more than one degree, but that and 50 cents won't buy me a cup of coffee.

Your life is your business but my kids were always told that they can go into the service, go to technical school or go to college or I would not support them. Enabling kids is oh, so very easy, but ultimately hurts your child. He hasn't seen the error of his ways because hasn't needed to.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:18 PM

Cleveland has a strong, underlying drug problem? More than other parts of Tennessee? Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that. I would imagine most of my friends and family from there would be surprised to hear that also.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueNashville View Post
Cleveland has a strong, underlying drug problem? More than other parts of Tennessee? Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that. I would imagine most of my friends and family from there would be surprised to hear that also.
Meth labs in East Tennessee Information & News from Knoxville News Sentinel (Knoxville, TN)

And that is just meth labs.

Cleveland has a very high crime rate, much higher than the national average, for a town.

We had strongly considered the area but didn't like the feel of the place. Of course, if you were born and raised there you are going to fiercely defend it, as well you should.

But everyone's mileage may vary.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 AM

I would have never guessed it based on my experience. I have a feeling you and I definitely have different "tastes" as you so politely put it. To the original poster, how about the Nashville area? I know it's not East Tennessee, but there are many opportunities here. Like you didn't have enough decisions to make! :-)

Old 12-23-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm pretty sure that Lee University is school run by The Church of God. That may be a consideration. It is a highly conservative area. Very religious with a strong underlying drug problem.

Anyway, Aerorider, you are preaching to the choir. I usually can run circles around folks with more than one degree, but that and 50 cents won't buy me a cup of coffee.

Your life is your business but my kids were always told that they can go into the service, go to technical school or go to college or I would not support them. Enabling kids is oh, so very easy, but ultimately hurts your child. He hasn't seen the error of his ways because hasn't needed to.

Hiknapster, Thanks for the info on the college in Cleveland (Lee University). But I'm a little confused on your last couple sentences. We don't enable our son. He doesn't live with us and hasn't for about 3 years and isn't being supported by us financially at all because he didn't want to "conform". So out he went! When we move and if he chose to live near us, it would be just that...NEAR us, not with us. So that's why I was asking about work in these areas, so that he could work and when he gets his head together and sees that it takes more to make it in life, he can go to a trade school or something. Not all kids are easily reared. My daughter got it right away, my son is just taking a little longer.

Wow... without knowing us or our son wasn't that a little hard to come up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee