U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 08:41 AM

219 posts, read 264,249 times

Advertisements

my husband and i are moving to tennessee and i dont want to move until one of us has a job there. so i wanted to know if we got a po box there and put that address on our resumes would that be a good idea? so that we can get an interview. we can travel down there at anytime once we get an interview so traveling wouldnt be a problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:56 AM

50 posts, read 97,295 times
My husband and I are in the process of moving to Tennessee too and we looked into getting a PO box. We found that the post office wouldn't rent us a PO box unless we could produce a utility bill in our name at a local E-911 address. The apartment we're renting here in TN has all the utilities in our landlord's name so we haven't found a way to get a PO box yet.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 4,094,441 times
Even if you can find a way, I wouldn't do it. A resume without an actual physical address would throw up a big red flag to me. Attempting to use deception to get an interview isn't the best way to impress a potential employer. Better to be up front and mention in your cover letter that you're planning on moving to the area at your expense (assuming that's your plan)...or even stretch it just a bit and state that you're in the process of moving...

Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 AM

821 posts, read 1,759,768 times
I have a PO box and put that address on everything, not sure why that would throw up a red flag for anything.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 PM

Because no one lives in a PO Box! If I had a number of applications on my desk and one listed a PO Box as the address, I'd wonder why they felt it necessary to not divulge where they actually live. It probably wouldn't eliminate them on the first pass (depending on how the rest of the resume compared to the many others that would typically be on an employer's desk), but it wouldn't help.

I know....I'm a sceptic by nature (it's a byproduct of getting old, I suppose), but I always try to read between the lines. People are, of course, going to present themselves in the best possible light in a resume. What they don't say is often more important that what they do say. If an applicant listed a TN PO Box, but all his recent work history was in another state THAT would get my attention - and not in a good way if the applicant hadn't divulged up front that they didn't already live in the area.

For many (maybe even most) jobs these days an employer will end up running a credit report and background check. Those are going to show that you live in a different city....so why try to hide it?

One other potential problem in the case of the OP....

Suppose the employer responds to you via snail mail....and it goes to your PO box in another city. How would you be able to respond quickly?

Last edited by JoeCartpath; 12-21-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,269,902 times
There are still places in the US where there is no home mail delivery (including no RFD). If one lives in such a place and wants to receive mail, you have to get a p.o. box.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM

821 posts, read 1,759,768 times
Joe, as you see I don't do any hiring or looking at job resumes (never actually filled a resume out in my life)
and I have never had a mail box at my house (out in the country it's just something for someone to run over and destory or some kids playing jokes and smashes up, so never wasted my time in the past 20+ yrs to get one and also when I travel, I can be gone up to a month at times and that way all the mail is collected at the post office)

Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Sounds like you've got it made.....I'm jealous!!

Old 12-22-2010, 10:26 AM

30 posts, read 62,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Because no one lives in a PO Box! If I had a number of applications on my desk and one listed a PO Box as the address, I'd wonder why they felt it necessary to not divulge where they actually live. It probably wouldn't eliminate them on the first pass (depending on how the rest of the resume compared to the many others that would typically be on an employer's desk), but it wouldn't help.

I know....I'm a sceptic by nature (it's a byproduct of getting old, I suppose), but I always try to read between the lines. People are, of course, going to present themselves in the best possible light in a resume. What they don't say is often more important that what they do say. If an applicant listed a TN PO Box, but all his recent work history was in another state THAT would get my attention - and not in a good way if the applicant hadn't divulged up front that they didn't already live in the area.

For many (maybe even most) jobs these days an employer will end up running a credit report and background check. Those are going to show that you live in a different city....so why try to hide it?

One other potential problem in the case of the OP....

Suppose the employer responds to you via snail mail....and it goes to your PO box in another city. How would you be able to respond quickly?

I have my name, email address and phone # on my resume and NO address. There are a lot of bogus job ads out there and I dont want all of my personal info out there. I dont think an employer needs to know where I live to give me a job, they usually base it on knowledge, skills and experience.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:24 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,595,652 times
You do have a valid point, Writer- but companies are more prone to hire a local person who already lives here (or plans to move here under their own steam) with the same qualifications as an out of towner- I would do the same. Those people are more likely to stay than people who require assistance or have to commute for interviews. With the job market so saturated with seekers, anything that can be done to one-up the next guy is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or