U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 PM

44 posts, read 69,020 times

Advertisements

Has anyone on here made the move from Mn to Tn? Thinking about making the move, but want to know what others have to say about what they like or dislike about TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM

70 posts, read 263,819 times
Default Close but not exact...

Hey, Orry!

I'm not an exact match but I did work for Control Data Corporation for many years and so spend a lot of time in the "gold" building there in the Twin Cities, right near the airport. I also attended Iowa State University a couple hours to the South, so I guess I have at least a familiarity with things in that North-Central area of the country.

In general, I believe you'd like what you'd find here in Tennessee. The people are great, and there is a feeling of connectedness to the water - altho' I must admit we don't have the same 10,000 lakes you folks enjoy!

My wife and I have now lived her in the Tennessee Valley for well over 20 years and we love it! There is one real difference you will instantly notice: we have 4 seasons with absolutely beautiful Springs and Falls - something you'd just have to get used to!

I do not know where you live in MN but if you're in/near the Twin Cities, you will probabfly enjoy Knoxville or Nashville very much - both cosmopolitan and both have significant university campuses. If you live in the country - well, there's a ton of that here in Tennessee!

My best suggestion would be to take some time and come down for a visit. I'll bet you'll feel at home...

Goog luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks Botts for you input. I'm hoping we can make a trip there this coming year to check things out. I have lived in Mn all my life and am so tired of the long cold winters and the humid buggy summers. Spring and fall are nice, but they sure don't last long. Mn is also an expensive place to live.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:43 PM

70 posts, read 263,819 times
I enjoyed my many brief visits there and the people were very pleasant - good Scandinavian roots! I believe you will find things very similar - except for the cost-of-living (didn't know it was that bad up there). Tennessee has one of the lowest costs-of-living in the country...[SIZE=3] Also, there are three very distinct regions in the State of Tenneseee (thus the three stars in the state flag): The mountains (Smokies); the valleys (The Tennessee Valley); and the plains (think Midwest).[/SIZE]

Old 12-31-2010, 03:36 PM

28 posts, read 51,564 times
My husband and i moved here just a few months ago and LOVE it!!!!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Botts-Mn is #4 on the list of high taxes that I have seen on the internet, plus you have the expense of going through a winter here. Right now it's about 1 degree out with -18 wind chills.

Chattlady 22-what area in Tn did you move too? and what are your pros and cons that you would campare with MN?

Anyone have any input on Summertown? thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM

344 posts, read 677,858 times
I will watch this one with interest. We have had a strong interest in moving to TN for an early retirement and have focused on the Maryville area. It seems close to Knoxville for the big city, close to the tourist areas, not too far to Chattanooga (Cleveland) to the cousins home and many more positives. MN and WI both get bad ratings for the high taxes and WI just rated in the top 10 WORST places for retirement due to high taxes, the states high debt, likely to make taxes go higher; and the climate. We have been to TN several times now and have enjoyed every minute of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or