U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,084,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Thank you all for the information, it is as always helpful!

I am interested in more information on Paris Tennessee if anyone can elaborate please?
Did you take an online test for where to live and it told you Paris, TN? For some reason everyone who has ever took that test is told Paris, TN. I think the Chamber of Commerce and the test folks are in collusion.

Lovessnow, what school website are you using? I could look at it and see what it says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:59 PM

76 posts, read 128,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Allergies are a problem for a lot of people, lots of pollen floating around. The area around Knoxville might pose problems because it is situated in a bowl shaped depression and pollutants can sort of pool there.
Cookeville has a lot to offer and is fairly close to Nashville for the hospitals. I'd suggest Johnson City also, they have a children's hospital that is supposed to be good, decent schools and the air quality seems to be fine.

Here are some links you might find helpful ~
The Official State of Tennessee's Department of Environment and Conservation, State Parks Website
AIRNow - Tri-Cities, TN Air Quality
This one is older but lets you target a very specific area to see which businesses are putting what sort of pollutants into the air ~USA TODAY Special Report

PS That last one is interesting to do a comparison to the area you currently live in, I moved from a school district that ranked 2nd percentile (bad) to a district that ranked 17th. It surprised me that the area I moved from was so very bad.
The one listed in red

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,250,697 times
Hendersonville was ranked as one of the country's top 10 cities for families by Family Circle Magazine last year. Article: http://hvilletn.org/getdoc/e9566950-...op_10_in_State

The schools are ranked among the best in the state, Old Hickory Lake offers lots of recreational opportunities, the city and nearby Nashville have tons to offer kids. The city is extremely safe and there's a good local hospital with the top Nashville hospitals like Vandy only minutes away.

The only slight issue would be air quality due to proximity to Nashville and location in the Nashville basin.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 PM

76 posts, read 128,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Hendersonville was ranked as one of the country's top 10 cities for families by Family Circle Magazine last year. Article: http://hvilletn.org/getdoc/e9566950-...op_10_in_State

The schools are ranked among the best in the state, Old Hickory Lake offers lots of recreational opportunities, the city and nearby Nashville have tons to offer kids. The city is extremely safe and there's a good local hospital with the top Nashville hospitals like Vandy only minutes away.

The only slight issue would be air quality due to proximity to Nashville and location in the Nashville basin.

How about the air quality in regard to the "body farm" located in Knoxville?

I remember seeing a tv show about it and that alone is enough to keep me an hour or more from Knoxville, lol.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:20 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post

I remember seeing a tv show about it and that alone is enough to keep me an hour or more from Knoxville, lol.
The Body Farm does not contribute to air quality. Being in a valley with two major highways coming through the city is the biggest factor. The Body Farm is no concern to people that live here unless you are a writer, cop, or work or study in the field of forensics.

And I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about the quality of the school, not air.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,244,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post

I've driven past that area many times in summer and winter and never smelled a thing so no worries there. Most people don't know its is there.

The pollution that bothers some with asthma actually has many sources, although some people want to blame it on the fact that there is little emissions testing done in the region. It seems to aggravate existing asthmatic conditions, and the incidence of asthma sufferers is a little larger here. According to the EPA and scientists who are studying the pollution (and those who are studying its effects on the Smoky Mountains) the sources of the pollution come from as far away as the western side of the country and Canada, possibly even Mexico at times, and are brought in on prevailing winds. Add to it the local pollutants, place in natural "bowl" between the Plateau and the mountains and, unless the wind is just right, the air can get a bit grimy at times. It is more noticeable closer to Knox itself and seems to thin out a bit when you get closer to the mountains around places like Seymour, Maryville and south towards Tellico. It's still not as horrible as a few have painted it but it does exist. I'd consider it one of the few negatives of the area, but have not had any ill effects out here closer to the mountains and I walk daily.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 AM

255 posts, read 659,972 times
[quote=hiknapster;17486616]Did you take an online test for where to live and it told you Paris, TN? For some reason everyone who has ever took that test is told Paris, TN. I think the Chamber of Commerce and the test folks are in collusion.

lol. Actually, I just said the same thing to my sister about Paris.
I do happen to like the small town feel I get from reading about that town as well as from what I hear from a friend who recently moved from there. It has good stat's on air/water and family feel...BUT...I'm afraid it would be a bit too remote and would like to be a little closer to a larger area.

I have looked into Cookeville I decided against that town as well. So now I'm back to the board for other suggestions. This is so much harder than I ever expected it would be

I like Nashville for the medical, I need to be near (within driving distance) an airport, the art/culture seem great but I prefer to be on the outskirts where it is quiet and maybe a bit safer. I know this is redundant but I am hoping to have my plans fixed before our trip.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:45 AM

9,490 posts, read 13,349,016 times
If the airport is a frequent need I'd definitely stick with the Nashville area as they seem to often have he best deals on fares. We used to drive from Memphis to the Nashville airport because the fares were that much cheaper!

I have a relative in Murfreesboro who seems to like it just fine. From his descriptions it sounds a bit like Cookeville or Johnson City, a growing town with just about everything you could need in the way of shopping, entertainment, activities, etc. Don't know about the schools though as he's a young single guy...
Maybe Franklin? Cute downtown, some very good schools, I've heard good things about it for years.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

255 posts, read 659,972 times
Looking into Grundy County on a recommendation...I think it may be near M'boro? Thanks, will definately check it out!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 AM

11,605 posts, read 31,783,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Looking into Grundy County on a recommendation...I think it may be near M'boro? Thanks, will definately check it out!
Why did you rule out Cookeville?

And who recommended Grundy County? That had to be a joke. Grundy County offers almost nothing that you had in your list of criteria, and it's not near Murfreesboro.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or