U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 PM

11,603 posts, read 31,771,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Not to pick a fight...but I would think the entertainment options aren't as diverse or plentiful in Knoxville or Chattanooga compared to Nashville. We pretty well get all the major acts for concerts in addition to LOADS of local talent that is better than just about anywhere else in the country...plus we have lots of diversity as far as entertainment options go. Not that Knoxville or Chattanooga don't have entertainment options...I'm just not sure it compares to what the OP may be used to in Chicago or Charlotte.

I recognize we're all local homers and think our part of the state is the best (otherwise, why would we live there?) But objectively, I think you guys might be selling Nashville a little short.

The way I see it, I'd break it down like this (by the OP's criteria):

City/Best for

Knoxville/Outdoor Lifestyle, Collegiate Sports
Chattanooga/Outdoor Lifestyle
Nashville/Professional Sports, Entertainment...with outdoor lifestyle very nearby

The good news is I think job opportunities are probably better in all 3 cities than most areas of the country.

Again, not trying to step on toes, and if outdoor activities is the #1 priority then maybe East TN gets the edge, but considering all the points I think Nashville is an attractive option.
Actually, I think you're selling Nashville a little short. While UT in Knoxville clearly dominates the state's college sports scene, Nashville has four NCAA programs: Vanderbilt, TSU, Belmont, and Lipscomb. And that doesn't include MTSU in nearby Murfreesboro or other nearby NCAA programs such as WKU in Bowling Green, TTU in Cookeville, and APSU in Clarksville.

Also, Nashville does offer quite a bit of outdoor sports. While Nashville doesn't have mountains, it sure has a lot of lakes, and Nashville is the only city in the state with a state natural area within its city limits (Radnor Lake which is absolutely gorgeous). The Cumberland Plateau is nearby with tons of waterfalls, and the country's second largest cave isn't too far away in Kentucky. There's rafting and canoeing close to Nashville on the Harpeth and Caney Fork rivers, too. Really, about the only things you can do close to Knoxville that you can't close to Nashville are whitewater rafting and snow skiing.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Last edited by JMT; 01-22-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Well, it looks like the guy made his decision, but I want to add some info for other readers. Knoxville has the lowest unemployment rate of the states largest MSAs, and we have been throughout the recession. Further, Knox County has the third lowest unemployment rate out of all of the state's counties.

Regarding entertainment, nothing is going to be like Chicago, but Knoxville does fine with the beautifully restored Tennessee Theater, the Bijou and the Thompson-Boling arena as well as numerous theater companies in the city and at the University of Tennessee and numerous venues everywhere. I have no idea how Knoxville stacks against the other two cities, though. This is a nice college town.

By the way, I'm from the northeast and my husband is from Chicago but we are middle-aged, so what do we know?

Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Really, about the only things you can do close to Knoxville that you can't close to Nashville are whitewater rafting and snow skiing.
And you can barely do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or