Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

70 posts, read 268,128 times

Advertisements

I'm 27, about to go to business school in the Midwest, have prior experience in the finance industry, and am looking at eventually going the corporate finance life. I had worked in Chicago for a few years, and am originally from the Northeast. I'm sick of big cities and 90 hour work weeks. I like the Midwest because of the friendly people and laid back lifestyle, but I hate the cold winters, paying state income tax, and want a state with more outdoor recreations. I am considering the Carolinas after I graduate for these reasons. But you gotta pay income tax there. I have decided to also look at Tennessee now. If I were going to focus on one city as far as job opportunities, but also one with a great outdoors lifestyle, as well as professional/collegeiate sports and entertainment, where do you suggest I focus my search on? Memphis, Nashville, or Knoxville.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Knoxville. But you still have to pay income tax.
OK, no state income tax, but sales tax makes up for it.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks, looking forward to seeing what the other natives on this board have to say.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Obviously, I'm biased living in Nashville...but Nashville does give you everything you mentioned. No state income tax, milder winters (but be warned, we do have 4 full seasons in TN...a lot of northerners think we don't get winter weather...we do...it's just not as severe), lots of nearby state and city parks, loads of entertainment (we are Music City after all), and both college (Vanderbilt in the SEC and several smaller colleges in other divisions) and professional sports (Titans in the NFL and Predators in the NHL).

Furthermore, Nashville is a bit of a regional finance hub...maybe not as much as Charlotte or Atlanta...but you'll find many financial jobs here in banking, finance, and accounting. We have a booming health care industry that has quietly become one of the nation's largest. There are a number of large companies HQ'd in Nashville or the surrounding area like Nissan North America, HCA, Dollar General, Cracker Barrel, etc.

In short, Nashville has everything you mentioned above. It's big enough to have all the big city amenities people expect, but small enough that we don't have many of the big city issues like corruption, rampant crime, etc. I think you can't go wrong with at least looking at Nashville.

I will also say that Knoxville and Chattanooga have a lot going for them too. If I had to pick another city in the state to live in, it would probably be Knoxville.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks Don

Old 01-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Sure thing. One more thing, once you do enough research to have specific questions about areas, I'd suggest posting your questions in the city's forum (Nashville, Knoxville, etc). Not everyone who posts in the city forums posts in the state forum...and you're likely to get better answers by asking more local folks.

Best of luck and let us know if we can help.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
If you want pro sports, you won't find that in Knoxville or Chattanooga. If college sports work for you, Knoxville certainly has a rich tradition there.

For a young professional, Chattanooga is a nice small city. The downtown has been revamped and there is a lot there to do. Outdoors in Chattanooga depends on what you like to do - there are lots of hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc. opportunities in the surrounding national forest (in both TN and Georgia)

Knoxville is coming back downtown, and with the huge college presence there you can always find lots to do. Throw in the close proximity to the National Park and there is almost always something to do - you could spend a lifetime hiking different trails in the Smokies before you'd see them all and then you cloud always turn to Big South Fork or the Cherokee National Forest after that. Lots of places to camp, fish, hike, bike (road and mountain), kayak, hunt, you name it around Knoxville!

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Yep! Knoxville certainly fits his bill, EXCEPT for the professional sports. The South is all about college ball. I found it weird at first but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Much more fun!

And Knoxville's downtown has been beautifully restored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
If you want pro sports, you won't find that in Knoxville or Chattanooga. If college sports work for you, Knoxville certainly has a rich tradition there.

For a young professional, Chattanooga is a nice small city. The downtown has been revamped and there is a lot there to do. Outdoors in Chattanooga depends on what you like to do - there are lots of hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc. opportunities in the surrounding national forest (in both TN and Georgia)

Knoxville is coming back downtown, and with the huge college presence there you can always find lots to do. Throw in the close proximity to the National Park and there is almost always something to do - you could spend a lifetime hiking different trails in the Smokies before you'd see them all and then you cloud always turn to Big South Fork or the Cherokee National Forest after that. Lots of places to camp, fish, hike, bike (road and mountain), kayak, hunt, you name it around Knoxville!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Not to pick a fight...but I would think the entertainment options aren't as diverse or plentiful in Knoxville or Chattanooga compared to Nashville. We pretty well get all the major acts for concerts in addition to LOADS of local talent that is better than just about anywhere else in the country...plus we have lots of diversity as far as entertainment options go. Not that Knoxville or Chattanooga don't have entertainment options...I'm just not sure it compares to what the OP may be used to in Chicago or Charlotte.

I recognize we're all local homers and think our part of the state is the best (otherwise, why would we live there?) But objectively, I think you guys might be selling Nashville a little short.

The way I see it, I'd break it down like this (by the OP's criteria):

City/Best for

Knoxville/Outdoor Lifestyle, Collegiate Sports
Chattanooga/Outdoor Lifestyle
Nashville/Professional Sports, Entertainment...with outdoor lifestyle very nearby

The good news is I think job opportunities are probably better in all 3 cities than most areas of the country.

Again, not trying to step on toes, and if outdoor activities is the #1 priority then maybe East TN gets the edge, but considering all the points I think Nashville is an attractive option.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Nashville sounds good! I'll have to check it out. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee