U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,425 times

Advertisements

NY Annie, would love to have a NY get together when you move here from a former NY Barb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 11:02 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post
You are right, the list is in regard to people moving to another country, but the stages are the same for any kind of culture Shock. I only shared, because as I did not know it at the time, I was in fact going through these stages a few years ago after a relocation and had no clue, I just thought I was home-sick. If I had known that I was in fact going through something as text-book as these stages, I might have fought harder (with myself) to stay and give it more time but in the end, I was so miserable with the move that we moved back to Orlando 6 months later.
You know, I would say that is silly, moving from one area of Florida to another, but it happened to me, too. I moved from Orlando to Fort Myers and the two places are like night and day. By the time I left Fort Myers - for here - I had almost lost my mind.

I think for some people, maybe most people, moving to TN would be a culture shock. For us it wasn't although we knew what to expect. We did rent for the first 3 years in a very remote area of Knox County, and although I am a very small town girl, I hated it there. Once I moved to the city limits I felt better. But my area seems more like a small town, much like the one I grew up in.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,250,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post
I am currently in college and one of the things we are studying right now is cultural shock and the five stages that encompass it.
Here are the stages: <snip>

This was a very interesting read and seems applicable to many people moving from one region to another within the USA as much as to a more foreign culture. It probably put into words what happens to some people who have great big expectations of the new area and how they will fit, and why that goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJ2011 View Post
Hiknapster - I suspect you are right! LOL I *am* concerned with stepping on toes. It's my (unfortunate at times) nature. Everyone seems so friendly and helpful here, I don't want to unintentionally say anything stupid or divisive!

Lovessnow69 - That is very interesting! Thank you for posting it. And I think it's awesome that you are in college - I can't wait to go back to school! I could be a professional student if there were such a career, LOL!

Don't worry too much about toes but just be aware they are there. I've only had a few times where I think I might have stepped on one but people here are incredibly polite about it so you may never even realize it if you do. Most are also very tolerant and forgiving, especially if you are genuine in how you deal with them and how you apologize when you have been wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
ASJ2011, don't worry about stepping on toes; just be yourself. When we first moved here, my husband said he kept thinking will people accept us, but then all of a sudden he didn't think that any longer. I don't think it matters where you came from, the accent you have, or what you're missing about where you came from if you genuinely try to accept your new place and the people in it. Southernly people are very friendly and have made us feel like we are Tennesseans. We've been here a little over 3 years and feel like TN is our home.

I have to laugh because sometimes I have difficult with a thick southern accent thinking that my NY accent is normal! Doesn't everyone in TN talk with a NY accent? LOL
Barb I think we've had pretty much the same transition, just different parts of the state.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM

722 posts, read 1,787,830 times
I think the biggest adjustment from the Northeast is the outwardness of religion. It takes a little getting used to at first how open and inquisitive people are about your religion and religion as a whole. If you accept and embrace it, you should be fine. If you find it intrusive and offensive, that might be a problem. Church is probably the number one social circle in the South.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 PM

9 posts, read 15,741 times
Thank you all for the insightful comments! I am still very excited and hope that this opportunity comes through for us... only time will tell. Until then, we are very much looking forward to our next vacation in August so that we can come visit again! We are trying to arrange a 2 week trip this year (we only did a week last year in August, and 3 of the 7 days we spent visiting family).

I am, of course, still interested if anyone has anything else to add... and I would like to thank everyone who took the time to respond already! Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee