U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,678 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are moving to Jackson, Tn this summer. I am in need of info for elementary schools. I believe my son is suppose to go to Arlington but I have no clue about the schools....

Are there "charter" schools or something similar ??

Thank you......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 03:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,546,664 times
Jackson-Madison Co. has magnet schools but no charter schools.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,371 times
If you want your child to get a half-way decent education, you might want to consider the private schools there. We lived there for 2 1/2 LONG years, and my son went to Jackson Christian. Most folks will tolerate the public schools for elementary. But, if you have the means, you will want to switch them over before they enter the crime ridden, underachieving middle and high schools there. Sorry to sound so negative, but Jackson was a horrible experience for us. We lived in a very nice area on the north side of town and were robbed multiple times. Our families were even robbed when they came to visit us. Also, real estate is worthless there. My house is still on the market 2 years later with the price now $70,000 less than I owe with still no interest in it!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:09 AM

3 posts, read 4,236 times
I agree the public school system has had some bumps during the past 20 years, but there is new interest from the community in improving the public schools and we have had the resolution of a 50+ year old lawsuit that prevented local control of the school system. The local Chamber of Commerce and local businesses are working with the school board members on the search of a new superintendent and developing programs for poor performing students. I live near Arlington Elementary and have toured the school. We had our oldest child in early intervention speech classes and were very impressed with the faculty and students. Jackson also has a magnet school that is one of only a handful of public schools in the nation that follows the Montessori method of teaching. Jackson Central Merry High School has developed a medical magnet program where students can be certified for several medical position after graduation and have prep classes for a medical emphasis in higher education. You will find a larger than average percentage of people in the private school system and that really skews the statistic when it comes to researching the public schools in this county. I wouldn't completely write off the public school system and I haven't seen enough evidence to consider them "crime ridden".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee