U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

my husband and I are thinking of moving to tennessee, I would like to hear everyone's input. is it a good place to live and raise children? how are the people there and are there good job oppurtunites.

Thanks in advance,

angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 10:37 PM

76 posts, read 128,894 times
Im curious, does anyone know what the "move" rate is for newcomers returning to their home state after discovering that Tenn is not what they wanted afterall?

Old 02-01-2011, 11:04 AM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post
Im curious, does anyone know what the "move" rate is for newcomers returning to their home state after discovering that Tenn is not what they wanted afterall?
I dont know but that would be interesting. I do remember some post from ppl who were not happy after they moved here and couldnt wait to move back but mostly we hear from those who are very happy with their decision.

To the OP. Job opportunities, not so good.
It really depends on what you are looking for. I suggest you read through the many threads to get an idea then come back with more specific questions.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,681 times
Default thanks

ok thank you for your feedback

Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 AM

5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times
A friend moved from Florida. She loves the scenery and peace and quiet, but as many have found in the VERY rural areas, she can't tolerate the people. I've gotten to that point myself and I always thought I was pretty tolerant. Of course for me there are extenuating circumstances. If not for them, I'd probably have been fine here forever.

Another friend moved from Jersey and has hated it since she got here. Given the chance she'd leave in a heartbeat. She complains DAILY.

That said, TN is so different in each region that you might as well be talking about different countries. And in each region you've got such diversity in towns that you might as well be talking about different states.

Without telling us exactly where in TN you're thinking of there's no way to tell you our opinion. And even given OUR opinion, there's no guarantee it's what you like. Putting aside my differences with the locals on the one issue I have, I've been in heaven here. Summers aren't usually too hot, winters not usually too cold. Prices can't be beat for homes. The school our kids went to is phenomenal, but you can't say that of every small community school in the area, let alone the state. Crime is pretty much non-existant where I am, but again, that can't be said of every small town. You really need to narrow down an area and then ask for an opinion. And if what you're told sounds like a place you might like, you really need to visit a while to see for yourself.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 PM

20 posts, read 37,857 times
Moving to Bledsoe County, I hear there's a less then secure prision. Any information on the area would be appreciated.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM

5,232 posts, read 13,551,278 times
I've never heard of problems at the prison.

If you're interested do all the research on line you can and if you still think it's for you, go visit a while. That's the ONLY way you'll KNOW if you like it. We can't tell you if it's for you.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,696,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifindem103 View Post
Moving to Bledsoe County, I hear there's a less then secure prision. Any information on the area would be appreciated.
From which part of NY are you moving from? I ask because there could be a misconception on your part, if you are moving from rural upstate NY to rural Tn. they are not the same. I'm from the Hudson Valley area and live in Knoxville and love it.
Pam

Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 PM

20 posts, read 37,857 times
Well I coming down if everything goes well with the mortgage. I'm on Long Island and I've been going to Tennessee for about the last 7 years. Spent time in the tri cities area, cookesville, crossville and hit a few tourist spots as well. We love the state, the people we've met have beeen great. When we went to look at the house a nieghbor mentioned the prision problem. I just wasn't sure if it was something that was a major problem or maybe a way to scare us away. My wife put it best TN just feels like home.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,684,480 times
Just moved here from L.A. last month and my husband and I really like it! We moved to TN because we wanted to be around more conservative people, wanted a safe place to raise children, wanted to live in an area with a lower cost of living, wanted less traffic, and wanted an area with 4 mild seasons, etc.. We researched for years and knew TN was the place for us. We hope it doesn't change. I love how friendly and respectful people are compared to L.A. Hearing Ma'am is so refreshing. Southern hospitality is a huge reason why we wanted to live in the South. We are Christians and love living in the Bible belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee