U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:52 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,537,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm positive you meant to say "like hik said, tho.
Yes, thats what I meant to say.

Quote:
I just cannot bring myself to get food stamps. After this weekend, though, I just may.
But Hik thatís what the program is for. You have paid in for years, now you could use a little help. Back in the 70's we had to use them for a few months when my dh was laid-off. Between my big $2/hr waiting tables part time and his unemployment we didnít have enough to pay rent/utilities and eat. It was only 3 months, but I was so embarrassed using them. Now, after decades of paying taxes and watching "illegals" with 4 and 5 kids and "white trash" with 4 and 5 kids swiping those EBT cards year after year, I donít think it would bother me to accept a little help in hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Back in the day when the gardens came in everyone shared produce and the canners got a cranking so that everyone had vegetables all winter long. Why bother doing this when you can rely on food stamps to buy canned stuff from, perhaps, another country?
But home canned food tastes so much better. Especially greenbeans!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:27 AM

222 posts, read 493,532 times
Public assistance programs are meant to be a bridge to help you in times of need and not provide a regular paycheck for the rest of your lives. Progressive states are currently enacting measures to restrict access or have the recipients "give back."
Some of these ideas include mandatory drug testing and community service hours. Is Tennessee currently considering any of these ideas?

Old 02-07-2011, 09:15 AM

646 posts, read 1,154,470 times
I agree with not having drug users on assistance programs, but how does that help solve the problem of becoming a regular paycheck?

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM

9,528 posts, read 13,367,755 times
TN does have some restrictions in place concerning food stamp assistance.
My DD looked into food stamps when her hours were drastically cut back. We found out that for her to qualify she had to work at least twenty hours a week and was limited to five months of benefits in any three year period. She qualified for a whopping $86 the first month and it was cut back the second month when she picked up a few more hours at work. When she had to quit her job because she developed a latex allergy she no longer qualified for any assistance. She moved back home with me and it took her four months to find a new job here. I don't feel like the five months TN offers is in any way excessive.

In Memphis they have something called MIFA which sort of serves as a clearing house for people needing emergency assistance. When my ex lost his job after a hospitalization they directed us to all sorts of local programs we didn't even know existed. We had our utility bill paid for us, got a voucher for a months rent, got vouchers for a couple of food banks, got signed up for free followup care at the teaching hospital downtown, etc. Do other TN cities have similar programs for people that just need a temporary helping hand?

Old 02-07-2011, 05:29 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,793,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes, thats what I meant to say.

But Hik thatís what the program is for. You have paid in for years, now you could use a little help. Back in the 70's we had to use them for a few months when my dh was laid-off. Between my big $2/hr waiting tables part time and his unemployment we didnít have enough to pay rent/utilities and eat. It was only 3 months, but I was so embarrassed using them. Now, after decades of paying taxes and watching "illegals" with 4 and 5 kids and "white trash" with 4 and 5 kids swiping those EBT cards year after year, I donít think it would bother me to accept a little help in hard times.

I agree with 3mares, Hik. My circumstances changed drastically and I've used the EBT card as a supplement since November. My plan at the moment is to stop in May (gotta get all my ducks in a row to move back to Greeneville, get my lease here expired, etc.) but I'm working to stop a little earlier than that.

Government assistance is a good thing, for people like you and me. For people living in rural Greene, Scott, Johnson counties who've used food stamps for 30 years, that's not really what it was intended for.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:22 PM

1,754 posts, read 3,599,154 times
Hik- Health departments here in TN work off a sliding scale for visits and meds. You may want to check them out. There's also a free clinic in Knoxville that my mother in law uses (multiple medical problems). Rural medical comes around here a few times a year, I think.

I recently discovered a doctor who treats fibro patients AND accepts cash payments. He's reasonable in his rates too.

Honestly, I don't typically advocate things like this, but if you're (meaning ANYONE) in severe pain accompanied by other issues- get thee to an ER. Sure the bill will be outrageous, sure you'll be making tiny payments until the end of time- but when you're against the wall you have to do what you have to do.

I just discovered a, well, clearinghouse for services, I guess- for this area. In Morristown, this building houses Central Services, Neighborhood Center and Douglas Cherokee. They offer assistance (including food and utility assistance) to folks in need. I know the utility assistance is for Hamblen Co. residents, not sure about the food.

For those who may have medical issues with food (like my daughter's gluten intolerance) I saw a flyer for the Angel Food program and they now offer gluten free options.

Greg and I were on FS years ago.... I think our oldest was just a few months old. We used them for four months and called to cancel. The lady I spoke to was incredulous- someone was CANCELLING fs?

If folks used them when they really needed them and shopped wisely, the program might be better functioning than it is today. But that requires personal responsibility and morals and sadly, that's something that's lacking in many folks.

If I run across more options, i'll be sure to post.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:50 PM

133 posts, read 315,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as3369 View Post
Public assistance programs are meant to be a bridge to help you in times of need and not provide a regular paycheck for the rest of your lives. Progressive states are currently enacting measures to restrict access or have the recipients "give back."
Some of these ideas include mandatory drug testing and community service hours. Is Tennessee currently considering any of these ideas?
I agree completely. Public assistance was meant to help people during their rough time not meant for what we see now with so many.....3rd and 4th generations raised on public assistance! Is it Michigan that has a 2 year lifetime limit on benefits to be used anytime but it was limited, i.e. help you get on your feet not live life off of it?

Unfortunately there are many people young and old that need extra benefits maybe for a lifetime but their care is limited because of able bodied individuals who won't work and deplete the available funds!

Personally I rather had seen the billions of incentives and stimulus packages that went out to have been spent on infrastructure. History taught us when President Roosevelt used the unemployed by giving them a regular job they benefited from regular employment, manufacturing benefited from the demand for products, and the taxpayer, American, benefited with new interstates, libraries, public buildings, national parks, etc. It was a win win and helped bring our nation out of a depression. Spending increased due to a secure pay check and production increased due to building and increased employment. Government throwing money at individuals in hopes they will spend it or go to school for a career change does not seem to be working.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62mike View Post
Personally I rather had seen the billions of incentives and stimulus packages that went out to have been spent on infrastructure. History taught us when President Roosevelt used the unemployed by giving them a regular job they benefited from regular employment, manufacturing benefited from the demand for products, and the taxpayer, American, benefited with new interstates, libraries, public buildings, national parks, etc. It was a win win and helped bring our nation out of a depression. Spending increased due to a secure pay check and production increased due to building and increased employment. Government throwing money at individuals in hopes they will spend it or go to school for a career change does not seem to be working.

It certainly dosent. It seem to just perpetuate the idea that everything will be handed to you. People use to take pride in earning what they got.

Reminds me of those Good Will commercials, I hate, where a proud employee says give a ________(fill in the blank) and give me dignity.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 AM

6,486 posts, read 13,793,189 times
Giving individuals money does not work at all, because most people use that money, say it was $2,000, and they tie up more like $10,000 in debt using it, through new cars, rental TVs, couches, whatever else they can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or