U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 12:21 PM

16 posts, read 30,505 times

Advertisements

Howdy. My wife and I are looking to return South from Michigan, where we've lived for 25+ years. We're looking hard at TN, as our home state (Maryland) is now too crowded and too highly taxed. We've visited Frankliln, TN, near Nashville, and loved it, but we're wondering about Knoxville, on the other side of the state. It's close to the Smokies, so we thought it might be cooler in the summer. We'd like to own a bit of acreage (5-15 acres), as we train Shelties and Border Collies in dog agility and herding, as the Nashville/Franklin area looks to be a bit flatter in its geography than the steeper terrain near Knoxville. We're in our mid-50's and quite active and looking to retire in the next few years. Any input on the pros and cons of either area is appreciated!

Best regards,
Kent in Michigan
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

371 posts, read 597,065 times
We retired to Knoxville from Md last year. I'd suggest an extended visit (3+ days) to see how the area suits you. For us, Knoxville has to "big" city amenities (culture, shopping, health care facilities) while keeping a "small" town feel (compared to the DC metro area). The people closed the deal for us.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Hi Kent.

If I were in your position my biggest concern would be that Nashville has wilder weather, with occasional violent storms and tornadoes. Flooding is an issue, too.

You truly need to visit both places, though, to see if the vibe is "right." Best of luck.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:19 AM

2,063 posts, read 6,242,715 times
You will find pluses and minuses for both once you've visited them both for at least a few days. Everyone has different takes on what constitutes the right amount of closeness to amenities and space to do what we like. Obviously some of us have found the "perfect" spot in the Knoxville area, me included.

Knoxville is not in the mountains, it is in a long valley between the Cumberland Plateau and the Smoky Mountains. Much of the area around Knoxville has some hills, and rolling ridges, but not steep mountain precipices. It does tend to be a bit cooler in the summer, with slightly less humidity, especially if you move to one of the towns to the east or south that are closer to the mountains. Overall both areas will be warmer than what you are used to by a few degrees and the summer season will be a bit longer. Hiknapster is right about the weather being a bit less wild around the Knox area since it's protected somewhat by the mountains and plateau. Tornadoes are much less common here but not unheard of and less likely to be as damaging.

There are lots of rolling open farm (cattle and horse) fields all around the greater Knox area. If you could find one for sale the open land might suit your needs.

Last edited by J&Em; 02-04-2011 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 30,505 times
Thank you so much for all the excellent replies so far - keep them coming! We've not spent any time in Knoxville but hope to remedy that situation this summer. My brother and his family live just north of Atlanta, so Knoxville would also be a bit closer to them and their children - a plus. Another thought is the proximity to the Univ of TN vet school in Knoxville, which would be good for dog care.

The information on the climate and topography is especially good to know, as you can only tell so much studying information on the web. We're accustomed to open fields and generally flat to rolling terrain, so it's good to hear that type of property is available around Knoxville.

Best regards,
Kent in MI

Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 PM

126 posts, read 208,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmoor View Post
We'd like to own a bit of acreage (5-15 acres), as we train Shelties and Border Collies in dog agility and herding, as the Nashville/Franklin area looks to be a bit flatter in its geography than the steeper terrain near Knoxville.
Consider the Tri-Cities! We are planning to move to the Johnson City / Greeneville area in about 18 months, and I train Icelandic Sheepdogs in Rally, Obedience, and a little agility and herding. There doesn't seem to be too much dog training activity there but I hope I'll be able to find a few enthusiasts to work with (or play with I guess is better wording).

Old 02-04-2011, 06:13 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
I've talked to foxmoor before, and there is a great agility center in East Knox County.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 AM

28 posts, read 126,353 times
I like Franklin a lot too foxmoor, and the previous poster is right- Knoxville isn't in the mountains. But you can definitely see them in the background, it's just the surrounding area isn't hilly at all. You might like Farragut if you visit Knoxville, it's a pretty town as well. Although, they do not have the cute downtown like Franklin though. Farragut looks more like Brentwood to me.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:51 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmoor View Post
Thank you so much for all the excellent replies so far - keep them coming! We've not spent any time in Knoxville but hope to remedy that situation this summer. My brother and his family live just north of Atlanta, so Knoxville would also be a bit closer to them and their children - a plus. Another thought is the proximity to the Univ of TN vet school in Knoxville, which would be good for dog care.

The information on the climate and topography is especially good to know, as you can only tell so much studying information on the web. We're accustomed to open fields and generally flat to rolling terrain, so it's good to hear that type of property is available around Knoxville.

Best regards,
Kent in MI
I have lived in both Nashville and Knoxville, and I like both. I am a Nashville native, so there is some bias there, but I attended school in Knoxville and felt perfectly comfortable there. As far as being "closer to Atlanta," Knoxville is really only closer by a half hour or so, so I'd say that consideration really makes it a wash (especially if you live on the southeast side of Nashville).

There are a number of similarities between the two, but here are some differences between the cities that you might consider:

-Nashville is the larger city, considerably. It feels bigger and would be considered somewhat more "cosmopolitan."

-Although Nashville has a number of colleges and universities, Knoxville has more of a college town feel to it, due to the dominance of the University of Tennessee. A large portion of the Knoxville economy depends on the university, and at times it might feel like the city revolves around it (there is plenty in Knoxville besides the university, but I promise you you will notice the color orange more often).

-Both cities have traffic problems, and although Nashville has more interstates, downtown Nashville is quite the bottleneck, and I-24 can be a parking lot at times all the way to Murfreesboro. Knoxville interstate travel has improved immensely since the widening of the interstate through downtown.

-Nashville has pro sports, if you are interested. The Titans in the NFL, and the Predators in the NHL. Knoxville is obviously a strong college sports town with the presence of UT, but also has a surprisingly strong high school sports atmosphere, for my money, the best of any metro area in Tennessee.

-Nashville is more diverse, and has a higher African American population, as well as hispanic and foreign immigrant population.

-Nashville has some very nice parks and outdoor opportunities, but Knoxville has it beat by far with it's proximity to both the Cumberland Mountains (plateau), and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (it's about an hour from each, so it's well situated).

-The Nashville airport is much, much larger and serves a lot more cities. You would have a much easier time with air travel here than you would in Knoxville.

-Because GM formerly operated (and may one day resume to operate) a car plant in Spring Hill, 30 miles south of Nashville, there is a sizable population of Michigan transplants. Even with the plant closing, many of them continue to live here, love to live here, and don't want to move from here. I should know, my sister-in-law and her family are from Michigan.

Personally, I don't think there are enough differences between the two where you would like one and hate the other, but due to your personal interests, you might find one more suitable than the other.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee