Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 04:59 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times

Advertisements

When we traveled to NC and then TN we would come to a corner and find people with signs sitting on the grass or roadside. Where I am now, we do not have that- once in a great while we may pass a hitch-hiker, but the police usually come along and stop them (illegal & unsafe)--what is the deal with these people? [/list]Are they harmless? [/list]Do you ignore them? [/list]Is it a "Southern" problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 05:23 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Was that in NC or TN or both?

Old 08-20-2006, 06:23 PM

Both- NC in May and TN in July.

Old 08-20-2006, 11:38 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,351 times
If I see any, I just ignore them. I haven't really seen anyone like that since coming out to the Tri-cities nor did I really see it in Knoxville. There are a few people notorious for holding signs asking for money in Nashville at certain exit ramps. Occasionaly, I see people with signs, but not like every day. Maybe it has to do with the areas you were visiting. Like they may be where more people from out of town will be or something thinking they will get more sympathy from people who don't see them all the time.
I don't think there are many panhandling laws in cities. Recently, I heard some place trying to enact more laws against it.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I have seen a few here since moving from Fl 10 years ago, but nothing like the amount in FL. Of the few that I have seen most in Nashville, Athens, Sweetwater, Etowa (most there at one time) and Knoxville. Every once in a while I see someone riding a bike that looks like they are carrying everything they own on it here in Tri-Cites. But I too do not believe it is a big issue here. There are some great volunteer programs here, such as 2nd Harvest, that feeds and clothes the poor so I think the community doesn't let vagrancy become an issue because the help is out there for one to get before it gets to the point that someone does not have shelter, food and other life necessities. That is one of the things I love about East TN, it's the people. Neighbors helping neighbors is still a reality here.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 AM

Thats nice to hear-neighbors helping neighbors. I have never seen a "homeless" person here, we have a town drunk who sits in the park and waves to every one- he drinks his check away at the beginning of the month and then waits til next month. As for charity homes- we have one in Rochester--but thats 50 miles from here. We also have one in Batavia but that is more of a safe/drug rehab house. No sign holders though...
will the neighbors you speak of be willing to help Northern new neighbors?

Old 08-21-2006, 09:08 AM

113 posts, read 529,548 times
The problem has increase since Katrina. A lot of street people from LA moved on up here to beg. It's always a nice site.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 117,844 times
oh we got plenty of those guys here in memphis. they are practically on every exit ramp and stop light in town. its a growing trend and must be benenficial. Our city should delicately round them up and give em jobs collecting the trash that is so omnipresent. while i am somewhat sympathetic with their plight, I NEVER give them a dime because it really would not help them.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Do you all believe they are harmless?

Old 08-21-2006, 03:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,853,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Do you all believe they are harmless?
Some need to go into a hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee