U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:22 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,275,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Ms1885, That is totally disgusting! Are you dealling with too much in-breeding or what? Thank you for helping those you could but please, be careful, as you might also end up smashed pancake flat. I trust you also have AASPCA involved as this is more of a problem than one person can handle with limited resources.

A couple years back I tried to get in touch with the ASPCA (I can't remember the exact event, but it had to do with the humane society in Crossville) and there was nothing they could do for us, because they are not in the area. That's what they told us.
Our area pound has had lots of trouble and has been shut down. There was a recent incident where a worker shot one of the dogs. The local politicians really don't care either.
The mind set for the dog and cat populations is daunting. I have had many people ask (when we had our boarding kennel) if we had a dog they could mate with their dog. They didn't care what it was just as long as it was a small dog. I was asked this on more than one occasion. There is also a misconception that some people feel like their dog should have a litter before they get them fixed. I never did understand that reasoning. I can't say it's just a TN problem, but I didn't see this type of problem as much in FL. People do dump their pets in FL too.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM

20,015 posts, read 20,519,392 times
Im in no way justifying any type of animal abuse and understand what mrs1885 is talking about especially concerning the attitude of the county "shelters", but most ppl moving into TN do not understand that forever, rural farm folks depended on animals for their lively hood and view them much differently than "city folk". Even dogs and cats were required to earn their keep and thought of more as an necessity than an accessory. This didnít mean they didnít love their animals or care for them, but times were different then and change is slow. Ive been told on these forums that I should not be allowed to have pets because my cats live in the barn and my dogs arenít in the house 24/7.

So, yes I would say many have a misconception of the way life is here. They either believe life is like what they see on TV (Mayberry or the Beverly Hillbillies) or they have the misconception that everything should be like it is where they came from (like dogs and cats were clothes and never go outside and all food comes from the grocery store).

It is a shame Mrs1885 is leaving the area. We need folks like her to fight for the animals and enlighten the people to the importance of spay/neuter, vaccinations and proper care of animals.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 AM

23 posts, read 28,878 times
My opinion is that I believe people are the same no matter where you go, just different scenery and cultures. I have my own choice words for certain people, and unfortunately in the topic of animals, it's easier to take care of the aftermath than the actual problem sometimes. Here in Louisiana it is the same way ... recently in the news a woman that owns a spa put up a sign charging a fine for anyone that feeds cats outside her spa because a client slipped on the food in the rain, a cop shot a dog tied on a leash under someone's carport because it posed a hazard to him/her at the time when the dog was never the issue, and most tragically a young veterinarian bringing animals back to be adopted on his truck was killed in a car accident because of a person speeding pushed him head-on into a dump truck. One of the dogs has survived. To call someone a coonass, peice of S, redneck, inbred, the list can go on and on when trying to avoid calling a person that caused pain and trouble to others a human or positive member of society - it's difficult. To condemn an entire state or area based on these "people", is just out there. But you know, sometimes an entire area can be populated with these "people".

Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think that sums it up pretty well.

Some of it I think is that TN has been noted as a low COL state and people make all sorts of wrong assumptions based off that. They think they'll be able to buy a house with 10 acres, mountain views and lake access for 50k. Or they don't realize that low COL also translates into lower wages and fewer amenities or government services.

TN also has a lot of people that believe in live and let live, which sounds great to a lot of people until they get here and find themselves offended by something and they want somebody to step in and take care of it because "it's just not right."

Then we have the whole southern hospitality thing which I guess to some people means southerners are not supposed to ever dislike anyone, be mean, talk about others behind their back, or any of the other petty things most people indulge in from time to time.
This is a good post. People moving here should realize that we do indeed have less government services. It is a tradeoff for lower taxes/COL AND keeping the government out of our lives to whatever extent we can. As far as "southern hospitality" is concerned, we are no different than the other 49 states. We will treat you as you treat us. GO VOLS!

Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Im in no way justifying any type of animal abuse and understand what mrs1885 is talking about especially concerning the attitude of the county "shelters", but most ppl moving into TN do not understand that forever, rural farm folks depended on animals for their lively hood and view them much differently than "city folk". Even dogs and cats were required to earn their keep and thought of more as an necessity than an accessory. This didnít mean they didnít love their animals or care for them, but times were different then and change is slow. Ive been told on these forums that I should not be allowed to have pets because my cats live in the barn and my dogs arenít in the house 24/7.

So, yes I would say many have a misconception of the way life is here. They either believe life is like what they see on TV (Mayberry or the Beverly Hillbillies) or they have the misconception that everything should be like it is where they came from (like dogs and cats were clothes and never go outside and all food comes from the grocery store).

It is a shame Mrs1885 is leaving the area. We need folks like her to fight for the animals and enlighten the people to the importance of spay/neuter, vaccinations and proper care of animals.

I find it funny (upsetting) when I hear these people as well. Just because my cat goes outside means I'm a demon who shouldn't be allowed to own a pet. I even have a neighbor who is "concerned" about my cats, yet she feeds strays and now has an outside cat that tried to attack my neighbors dog.
I think in the sense that animals are loved and cared for workers is something that should not change. I like not having any mice in my house.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:32 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,969,001 times
If my coon dog doesnt tree a coon anymore, he's gone.
If there are 3 cats on my front deck and I'm finding mice in my house, the cats are gone.
People always say that pets are members of the family. Yea. Okay. I expect my kids to pull thier weight too.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:36 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,172,548 times
Hi All, Wow, this a really hard thread to read. There are other threads where people write about their own attempts to rescue animals but this seems like a much larger problem. So, does anyone have a clue as to why the ASPCA isn't active in some of these areas? Maybe we should send them an emails as they are always asking more donations from us and I think we should know where our dollars are going. Use a little social media pressure to get them involved since they are supported by donations and not a government agency.

It is ashame that Mrs. 1885 is leaving her area but sometimes you just have to balance your well being with what is going on around you. Hopefully, the seeds she planted will grow even if she is no longer there.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Mrs1885 also brought up a good point about the schools and the caring teachers. My daughter had the same teacher for 3rd and 4th grade and she loves her and misses her being her teacher. I knew how much she cared for "her kids" when tears started welling up in her eyes as she was telling me how much she was going to miss teaching these kids and how worried she was for them going into the 5th grade (because it's so much tougher).

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Before everyone paints the state with a broad brush, this is Knox County's facility: New Division Street Facility (http://www.knoxpets.org/building.asp - broken link)

This is another one of many of the organizations in our city. Humane Society of the Tennessee Valley | Knoxville's No Kill Animal Shelter

And I'll say this again, Florida isn't any darn better. And I'm not talking about rural areas. I know a family that had a dog tied to a tree for years in upscale Estero and it was the norm without a second-look from the neighbors. It happened in Fort Myers and Naples, too.

In fact, it happens all over this country. There was a man that was a vet up in Mass for years. When he died they found the remains of animals behind his house. Tons of them. It looked like he had been tossing them back there for years. He charged money to properly dispose of the pets and he didn't.

This isn't a Southern thing. People abuse pets, unfortunately.

And discussing the ASPCA should be done on the Pets forum. This is not a Tennessee-specific issue and the continued discussion of pets doesn't have anything to do with the original question.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:42 PM

23 posts, read 28,878 times
True, thank you, I did like learning how different people live and their views on such a topic of pets in TN though... Someone once told me that English Mountain (?) was not a good place to reside due to the locals burning down transplants homes? I think it's near Dandridge? I guess my original post was kind of all over the place with not a specific question at the time... I'd like to know different takes on if certain cities/towns/areas aren't as accepting to new comers. I'm assuming larger cities such as Knox, Nashville, etc would be but residing in a smaller community if transplants experience more difficulty "fitting in" because of the local population that is possibly causing the negative attitude. For instance I remember reading a thread about a woman that was ticked off by riding behind a tractor if I remember right, I'd assume her moving away was reflected off her experience of the local population.... if that makes any sense... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or