U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:53 PM

28 posts, read 126,393 times

Advertisements

Hi again everyone, thanks for all the ideas! I will have to check into some of these spots next time I come down. I really appreciate all your answers and the extra time you took to post em' for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,366 times
Bemis, which is now part of Jackson, TN still has this look/feel.

My grandfather was a barber and had a barbershop just like Floyd's in Mayberry in the 60s.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:38 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Not one mention of work or schools. That's where you start. From there you create your own Mayberry.

I'm from New England, a town of about 12,000. Beautiful downtown with sidewalks everywhere. It's nice, just like Mayberry, but too cold.

Here, I like living in Knoxville. At first, I rented in an area with less population but it wasn't for me. Rural South can be very different than rural areas of other parts of the country.

It was still Knox County, though.

You get into some of the small towns and the schools are usually not as good. Much less funding. And jobs are really hard to come by in a lot of these small towns. Some of it can be hardscrabble with surprisingly high crime. More meth heads than cows.

For retirees it isn't as bad because they don't have to worry about jobs or education. Some love it, others miss living 10 minutes away from the big box stores once they tire of living "the dream."

I had to laugh about Wmsn4Life's remark regarding the blurb from a Disney-planned community. That's why so many dreamers end up in Florida. Disney's Celebration community sometimes can be like "West World" where everything went awry.

Disney had a tough time with its animal park, at first, too. It's in the business of animatronics and didn't quite know what to do with animals that are alive and have things to do like procreate. Same thing with Celebration. It was quite a shock to realize that real-live parents didn't like Disney telling them what to do with their children.

That's the problem with "make-believe." It can only go so far before real life gets in the way.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Not one mention of work or schools. That's where you start. From there you create your own Mayberry.

I'm from New England, a town of about 12,000. Beautiful downtown with sidewalks everywhere. It's nice, just like Mayberry, but too cold.

Here, I like living in Knoxville. At first, I rented in an area with less population but it wasn't for me. Rural South can be very different than rural areas of other parts of the country.

It was still Knox County, though.

You get into some of the small towns and the schools are usually not as good. Much less funding. And jobs are really hard to come by in a lot of these small towns. Some of it can be hardscrabble with surprisingly high crime. More meth heads than cows.

For retirees it isn't as bad because they don't have to worry about jobs or education. Some love it, others miss living 10 minutes away from the big box stores once they tire of living "the dream."

I had to laugh about Wmsn4Life's remark regarding the blurb from a Disney-planned community. That's why so many dreamers end up in Florida. Disney's Celebration community sometimes can be like "West World" where everything went awry.

Disney had a tough time with its animal park, at first, too. It's in the business of animatronics and didn't quite know what to do with animals that are alive and have things to do like procreate. Same thing with Celebration. It was quite a shock to realize that real-live parents didn't like Disney telling them what to do with their children.

That's the problem with "make-believe." It can only go so far before real life gets in the way.
Bemis had great schools and a large mill (it was a mill town). When the Jackson school system took the schools over they started busing the kids across the county and busing in the thugs from the welfare district!

In West Tennessee, the smaller counties have MUCH BETTER schools even though the money per student is less.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,385,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
You should check out Norris. It's north of Knoxville on I75. Very Mayberry like once you pass the new developement (Walmart etc) near the Interstate.
Walmart is in Clinton. Technically, the physical location of the Museum of Appalachia (further up the road) is in Clinton, too. Their mailing address is Norris.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,368,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Walmart is in Clinton. Technically, the physical location of the Museum of Appalachia (further up the road) is in Clinton, too. Their mailing address is Norris.
Yeah, but the actual "town" of Norris is kind of Mayberry like. My friend's uncle works at the post office there. It's definitely got that "one horse town" feeling going for it.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:46 PM

9 posts, read 18,935 times
Check out Rogersville. It has one of the "quaintest" surviving downtowns that I'm aware of, and is a reasonable drive into the Tri-Cities (Bristol, Kingsport, Johnson City) for what you can't find locally. Second oldest city in Tennessee, and county seat for Hawkins County. Just far enough off the interstate that it hasn't become just another bedroom community... yet still VERY accessible to the lakes and mountains that East Tennessee has to offer.
http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarkin...c4ab50ca36.JPG

Rogersville Historic District - Rogersville, TN - U.S. National Register of Historic Places on Waymarking.com

Last edited by Beretta; 03-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: changed img to url due to copyright

Old 03-19-2011, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,800 times
One more to check would be Rockwood. Its located about 30 minutes west of Knoxville. The town has a wal-mart outside town, and a selection of fast food and sit down dining. Go into town and you'll find an 1800's soda fountain / pharmacy (The Live and Let Live Drug Store) with old women wearing pink or checkered scrubs working behind the counters. Several small shoppes such as "O Those Were the Days" antique mall, "Yonder Hollow" music production studio that offers an old timey music show on fridays, surround the soda fountain. Watts Bar Lake is also located just outside town with boat slips and marinas for summer time leisure. I travel TN as part of my job and this is one of my favorite little towns.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:56 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,075,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeDriver View Post
One more to check would be Rockwood. Its located about 30 minutes west of Knoxville. The town has a wal-mart outside town, and a selection of fast food and sit down dining. Go into town and you'll find an 1800's soda fountain / pharmacy (The Live and Let Live Drug Store) with old women wearing pink or checkered scrubs working behind the counters. Several small shoppes such as "O Those Were the Days" antique mall, "Yonder Hollow" music production studio that offers an old timey music show on fridays, surround the soda fountain. Watts Bar Lake is also located just outside town with boat slips and marinas for summer time leisure. I travel TN as part of my job and this is one of my favorite little towns.
Unemployment is higher than Knox County, but as far as TN goes, it is not bad. High school has a low rating.

I think sometimes people coming from an area of good schools tend to think that all schools are fairly good. I know I did.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,364,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody8423 View Post
Or Mayberry towns?
With an olí fashioned downtown with cute shops/restaurants,
Front porches where you can sip sweet tea on a rocking chair,
Real friendly/nice people where the pace is just a little bit slower,
Folks wave and smile as you walk the dog,
A great place to raise a family thatís really safe and clean,
Any places like this still around?
there never were any quite like that...maybe you should be looking in new england..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee