Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
To do student teaching, you need to be enrolled in an education program at a college. It's part of the degree program.
Do you mean substitute teaching, or are you trying to get information about colleges also?
I am currently finishing a master's program with only three months left of courses. However, I have been living overseas for about 8 years so all the info has been very helpful. So far Sumner County and Robertson have caught my eye. Any thoughts or suggestions for specific schools or quality of life in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher_2_b View Post
I am currently finishing a master's program with only three months left of courses. However, I have been living overseas for about 8 years so all the info has been very helpful. So far Sumner County and Robertson have caught my eye. Any thoughts or suggestions for specific schools or quality of life in these areas?
Sumner county schools generally have a good reputation, and Hendersonville is a very nice area to live in. Gallatin is mid-sized and seems to be up-and-coming. Portland and White House (near the Sumner/Robertson county lines) are both fast growing communities with a lot of new residents...but I can't speak about the quality of life because I rarely travel there. Millersville also straddles the county line, but is a bit smaller than the others. Goodlettsville is a nice sized community (pop. ~15,000) split between Sumner and Davidson counties. I think most would say they prefer the Sumner county side.

Springfield (Robertson County) is a little larger than Goodlettsville, but can seem isolated because no interstates come close to it. It is more diverse than the other communities, but is also not as affluent. Springfield is more working class, but it seems to have its nice parts. Greenbrier and Ridgetop are small residential communities located on the cusp of the ridge (northern highland rim) between Goodlettsville and Springfield. Generally speaking, it seems to be a nice, quiet place to live, but there is very little to do there as far as entertainment or amenities. There are some other smaller communities scattered throughout Sumner and Robertson counties, but I'm not sure I would recommend them for a new resident (and some are isolated and seem very far away from everything).

Robertson county doesn't have the reputation that

Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
I'll echo what nashvols said. As far as quality of life goes, Hendersonville is very hard to beat. You can have a little bit of everything...plenty of shopping, restaurants, recreation/parks, suburbs, and a few rural areas too.

I'd go a little farther in saying that Robertson County is downright rural. Greenbriar/Ridgetop have a very small-town feel. You have to go to Springfield for the bigger box stores like Walmart and Lowes. Springfield is okay, but further away from Nashville.

Although prices are more in Sumner County/Hendersonville...that's where I would suggest you look first. Next, Goodlettsville (Sumner Co side first, then Davidson Co side), then Robertson County.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 3,175 times
Default Thanks for the info!

Hey everyone!! I really appreciate all the info. I have decided to try to get placed in either Robertson or Sumner Co. so maybe Hendersonville or a small town but near enough for the occasional trip to Nashville. However, I am a bit concerned about finding an apartment in the Robertson Co. area. Any advice there as for websites to find apartments? Also, I just finished up my coursework for my Masters in Ed. and will be in fact placed by my university which is outside of TN, so now I just have to wait and see where I end up Fingers crossed....I think TN will be a lovely change of pace from my current life in Seoul. I miss greenery and fishing!!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:18 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
i would try memphis city schools or selby county schools. they are the largest districts in tennessee, 167,000, memphis, and 46,000+ in shelby county. they use the orff method for teaching instruments, strings, etc. supposedly, the systems is made up of 90% black; however, that can't be right because of the number of hispanics and asians, both large populations in memphis and the county. too, whites attend school in the public sector. i believe there are 124 private schools in the city, and a large number of children attend private school. the news reported last week that the number was approximately 9,000, which are not under the auspices of mcs or shelby county schools. i believe there are approximately 6,000 students, who are home schooled.

if you really want a taste of what classroom teaching is about, try the public inner city schools. i think they pay a very large incentive for signing. if that isn't your bag, memphis and shelby county have some excellent long standing private and religious teaching institutions.

i have a friend who taught 1 1/2 years part time, while finishing up a double major. she went down for an interview for the inner city schools, has never regretted it, nor has she ever reported any horror stories. she is beginning her 11th year this year.

best of luck w/ whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee