U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 07:59 PM

45 posts, read 77,658 times

Advertisements

I will be on vacations in the USA staying in Nashville for 3 whole days
I am planning to spend these days as next :

1- day one morning : Nashville DOWNTOWN - museums, hermitage etc...
day one afternoon: Lynchburg - Jack Daniels destillary
2 - day two: Memphis
3 - day three: Chattanooga or Knoxville or some State or National Park like SHILOH

at night country music, blue grass and blues

Any other ideas, any other nice places to go?
I like civil war history (have read a lot 'bout it) , music, good food and scenic drives

Thks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
That's a lot of driving.

Stop by our Visitor's Center where we have live music at noon, Monday through Saturday! Knoxville Visitor Center | The Official Site of Knoxville

This will show you what is happening regarding music in the area on the day you are in town. Bands : Bands in Knoxville, TN by Knoxville.com

Here is some historic homes of Knoxville: Historic Homes of Knoxville

Chattanooga has some interesting Civil War history, too. Battles For Chattanooga

Old 02-26-2011, 02:12 AM

45 posts, read 77,658 times
Default Thks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
that's a lot of driving.

Stop by our visitor's center where we have live music at noon, monday through saturday! knoxville visitor center | the official site of knoxville

this will show you what is happening regarding music in the area on the day you are in town. bands : Bands in knoxville, tn by knoxville.com

here is some historic homes of knoxville: historic homes of knoxville (http://www.mabryhazen.com/mabry-hazen_house/historic_homes_of_knoxville.html - broken link)

chattanooga has some interesting civil war history, too. battles for chattanooga

thks a lot

Old 02-26-2011, 09:48 AM

374 posts, read 784,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCIO View Post
I am planning to spend these days as next :

1- day one morning : Nashville DOWNTOWN - museums, hermitage etc...
day one afternoon: Lynchburg - Jack Daniels destillary
2 - day two: Memphis
3 - day three: Chattanooga or Knoxville or some State or National Park like SHILOH

at night country music, blue grass and blues

Any other ideas, any other nice places to go?
I like civil war history (have read a lot 'bout it) , music, good food and scenic drives

Thks a lot
I think the places you're planning to visit are lovely, but I also think that to include Memphis and Chattanooga or Knoxville in your 3 day trip is probably unrealistic. At least it would be for me. Day 2 to Memphis is over 3 hrs drive - one way. Same for Day 3 to Knoxville/Chattanooga except with this you move from Central Time to Eastern and lose an hour traveling east.

Although I haven't spent much time in Nashville, I know there is PLENTY of sightseeing/history available to more than fill three days and not spend 12+ hours on the road traveling from place to place. If you try to get all these places crammed into 3 days it's not likely you'll be able to spend enough time anywhere to really enjoy anything because you'll just be rushing through to get to the next place.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM

9,486 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCIO View Post
Would it be feasible to arrive in Knoxville and depart from Memphis? It would enable you to see and do lot more, making your time spent in TN a lot more enjoyable.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Would it be feasible to arrive in Knoxville and depart from Memphis? It would enable you to see and do lot more, making your time spent in TN a lot more enjoyable.
It might be a lot more expensive to do that, although I guess Delta would be your choice of airline if you did.

My suggestion was to start in Nashville, go to Chattanooga, then to Knoxville, then back to Nashville. It's still a lot of driving, but the distances between the cities aren't bad at all (esp. Chatt to Knox). That way, there's no back-tracking on the interstate, and you get to see a lot of beautiful scenery.

Nothing against Memphis...there's a lot to do there. But the drive from Nashville to Memphis is quite boring and a lot less "scenic."

Old 02-26-2011, 05:52 PM

23,634 posts, read 21,969,184 times
On your travels to Chattanooga.As I understand near McMinnville... On my bucket list once in Tennessee

Bluegrass Underground

Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
On your travels to Chattanooga.As I understand near McMinnville... On my bucket list once in Tennessee

Bluegrass Underground
Wow! That is something else.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM

23,634 posts, read 21,969,184 times
Even more things to do... Local Events for Fall Creek Falls, Pikeville, Spencer, Crossville, Tennessee

Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,771,355 times
i agree witht he others, after doing alot of reserch into road tripping through th trying to see as much as tn as possible in such a short time at least one part of the trip is going to have to be given up if you want to have time to day anything...
from nashville to knoxville and even nashvill to chatanooga isnt a crazy long drive, but to throw memphis in there too...especially if planning on going from memphis to the knoxville area by the time you got there it would be almost time for dinner lol.

mabe pick 1/2 of the state to visit, either nashville and memphis or nashvill knoxville and chatanooga.
the eastern tn area is supposedly absolutly stunning for scenery, "wild" areas in the mountains ect...alot of varied nature.
whereas form what im hearing about the western tn area is its alot flatter and less scenic...

my best advice for you would be do searches on each of the areas your looking into visiting, make a list of the local attractions and decide from there what has the most importance on your list.

better to not spend quite so much time driving and more time to actually see the sites in my opinion.

my road trip in planning is a 14 day trip and theres still more places id like to see that i just couldnt feesibly fit into the time available lol, TN is a very large state is your trying to get from one side to another...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee