U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 05:42 PM

107 posts, read 265,296 times

Advertisements

Here is an interesting bit o' info for you. If you have a family trust (they only cost about $500.00 to set up) you can register your vehicles to the trust. Then when you get snapped by a camera, they send a letter to the trustee(s) asking you to please identify the driver in the photo. You can choose to identify the person (not what I choose) or throw the letter in the trash (what I choose) and that is the end of it. Nobody has any obligation since the traffic citation was not made out to anyone.

Not that this has ever happen to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM

1,814 posts, read 5,404,157 times
Thanks all. Glad to be informed!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:51 PM

7 posts, read 8,910 times
ROFL!!!! so 500$ or a ticket? I have heard about points on a person's drivers license, we do not have that where I live now, can someone explain what the points mean?

Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Points go against your drivers license and when you reach a certian number of points, MVD suspends your license. Each offense carries a certain number of "points". The more egregious the offense, the more points you are get.

I don't know how it is in any other state, but here in AZ, if you get a red light ticket you have to pay a fine, ($187.00) and you have to go to an 8 hour defensive driving class (and pay the fee for the class ($125.00). plus the points go on your license so your insurance may (probably) will go up because of the moving violation.

Since I opted for a revocable trust ($500.00 initial fee, no probate, and no attorneys fees to distribute your estate) instead of a will ($150.00 initial fee, & mandatory probate) it started to look like a pretty good deal to me. Heck, it paid for itself with one photoradar ticket.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,684,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I think that has been one negative side effect of the red light cameras. Occasionally you come across folks who are afraid to turn right on red because of the traffic light cams, and others who will just about lock up their brakes when the light turns yellow! You sometimes have folks that will slow down as they get to a camera intersection just because they are afraid the light is going to suddenly turn red on them.
Happened to a friend of mine... person in front of him locked up the brakes when a light with a camera turned yellow, even though she was so close she wound up stopping well inside the intersection. Because it was required by local law, he got a ticket for following too close.

As for slowing down, many of the traffic-light cameras will also issue a ticket if you're going more than 10mph over the speed limit. For some locations in Chattanooga the speed limit is as low as 25mph. I slow down when approaching a known red-light camera for this reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiecats View Post
ROFL!!!! so 500$ or a ticket? I have heard about points on a person's drivers license, we do not have that where I live now, can someone explain what the points mean?
As explained, points are assigned to your license for moving-vehicle violations (speeding might be 3 points; reckless driving 6 pts, DUI 6000 points, etc.). Click HERE for TN's point system. As you build up points your insurance rates go up. At 12 points in TN you must attend a "Defensive Driving" class or your license will be suspended. It appears as if the points expire fully 2 years from the date of whatever incident caused the points (speeding ticket, accident, etc.).

When I lived in Missouri several years ago the points expired at a rate of 1/3 of the original amount every year. So if you get a speeding ticket you have 3 points for a year, then 2 points for a year, then 1 point, then they're gone.

HOWEVER, at least in Tennessee, you cannot have points assigned to your license for ticket issued by an automated traffic-light or speed camera, or even a manned speed camera van. To the best of my knowledge, the cameras here only take pictures of the rear of the vehicle (no front tags in TN) and therefore never take a picture of your face. In order to have points assigned a police officer must pull you over, personally verify who you are (see your license), and give you the ticket.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
To the best of my knowledge, the cameras here only take pictures of the rear of the vehicle (no front tags in TN) and therefore never take a picture of your face. In order to have points assigned a police officer must pull you over, personally verify who you are (see your license), and give you the ticket.
We don't have front tags here either. Our cameras snap a shot of the driver first and then snap the rear plate next. One of the biggest complaints is that the bright flash in the face startles drivers and causes unsafe conditions.

The company (Redflex) send the photos & owner info the the correct agency (City P.D., County Sheriff or State Police) and then that agency sends the ticket to the registered owner. If the owner was not driving, he can deny the ticket by sending in a copy of his drivers license showing that it really wasn't him. The driver cannot be compelled to identify the operator of the vehicle.

People out here HATE the traffic cameras (speed OR red light cameras). Heck, we even had one guy pull up to an occupied camera van and shoot through the window, killing the poor guy working the equipment. The video, captured by the camera, made short work of that investigation and the suspect was quickly arrested.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,416,664 times
Anyone seen this video?

YouTube - Red Light Runners Compilation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee