U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 02:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,938 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new here on this forum and really looking for information.

I have always loved visiting TN in the past and have recently decided I'd like to move there from Indiana with my son.
After my decision my parents (early 70's) also decided that they would like to move with me.

I know the places I like to visit but living in an area is a lot different than being a tourist. So I'm hoping if I give some family details and what we're looking for someone here might be able to make a few suggestions!

We are looking for a smaller town/city fairly close to something larger like Nashville or Knoxville. Would prefer to stay Mid to Eastern Tennessee but always open to suggestions.

With my parents age I am concerned with finding a location with good hospitals and healthcare.
With my son I am concerned with good safe schools... possibly even private school.
We also need acreage for horses, cattle, and other various farm animals.

Both my parents and I love seclusion ... so we would probably want to be somewhat out of town. Just not INCONVENIENTLY out of town.

Any help, suggestions, or information would be appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!
Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,339,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanCon View Post
We are looking for a smaller town/city fairly close to something larger like Nashville or Knoxville. Would prefer to stay Mid to Eastern Tennessee but always open to suggestions.How small is too small? I know someone who considers 4k a small town and 25k to be the 'big city'. My daughter on the other hand considers the same town of 25K to be a rinky dink town. Your definition of the right size would be between _____?

With my parents age I am concerned with finding a location with good hospitals and healthcare.
With my son I am concerned with good safe schools... possibly even private school.
We also need acreage for horses, cattle, and other various farm animals. Acreage is going to be cheaper the further out you go. How much acreage are you looking at and what is your approximate budget for that?

Both my parents and I love seclusion ... so we would probably want to be somewhat out of town. Just not INCONVENIENTLY out of town. How far out is inconvenient for you, an hour, thirty minutes? How far from a hospital? What about a job, will you need to be close enough to something to find work?

Any help, suggestions, or information would be appreciated!

Thanks In Advance!
Shannon

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 5,938 times
DoubleT

Guess that information would help! *LOL*

We currently live in a town of 7000... I would say anything from 7,000 to 15,000. That would be a small town in our eyes.

As far as Acres... My parents have 80 at the moment and want to down size. I would say 15 acres or more would be fine with them. I say 5 or more for me. That all depends upon prices.

As far as out of town. Hmmm, I guess I would like to be pretty close to schools, and I'm sure that they would want to be pretty close to a hospital even if it's a smaller one. So I would say under a half hour.

Budget is up to $400,000 on the larger property.
Mine is somewhere around $100,000

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2011, 09:26 AM

4,989 posts, read 4,486,895 times
Maury County would be a good place to look. It has its own hospital and private school- Columbia Academy. You are also about an hour from Nashville, depending on where in the county you live. And less than that from Franklin, where there is another hospital and many Vanderbilt speciality clinics. Plus tons of shopping, restaurants, etc.
And Maury County is very inexpensive. Here's a listing with 32 acres and a cute little house for $129K:
RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

Here's a nicer house with 16 acres:
http://www.realtracs.com/PropertyDet...5uaP/v0PS82y6w

That website is a great resource for searching Middle TN housing. www.realtracs.com

You could also look at Robertson County and Wilson County.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:05 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
A lot of the "small towns" around Nashville are becoming more and more suburban. It's going to be hard to find inexpensive (acreage wise) land within 30 minutes of Nashville (unless you mean 30 minutes from the outskirts, or if 30 minutes from an edge city or exburb like Franklin or Murfreesboro, with lots of amenities and services, will do).

The Maury County suggestion is a pretty good one...the Spring Hill area is growing like a wildfire, but most of the growth has been concentrated on the Williamson County side (at least for the time being)...but a lot of the county is pretty rural, with rolling hills and plenty of farms.

As far as closer to actual Nashville, Cheatham County might be a decent choice, too. While a lot of the counties around Nashville have exploded, Cheatham has enjoyed a slower, but steady growth rate. The Kingston Springs and Pegram areas are pretty, but you might want to check before you buy a place that is close to the Harpeth River! Btw, those two "towns" combine for a little less than 5,000 people...but it's a short drive from Bellevue (Davidson County) with more stuff to do.

Dickson County (one county further out from Cheatham) is not too far from Nashville, and has a town that is about the size you are looking for (Dickson, pop 14,500).

Old 03-19-2011, 03:17 PM

283 posts, read 758,715 times
My personal choice would be in the areas around Knoxville - lots of rural, small towns, hospitals available. The Johnson city area is good, too.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:04 PM

9,483 posts, read 13,339,114 times
I'm a fan of both the Knoxville area, and the tri-cities if you don't mind a smaller area. I sent you a DM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or