U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times

Advertisements

I was a real estate agent and told folks to rent first, but hey, what do I know. Closings can take anywhere from three weeks to whenever. Once again, what do I know, though. You can live all over the world and then move to an area that just doesn't fit, but hey, you can always sell and move on, right? Well, I guess it could be difficult if it were off the beaten path from anywhere and had no jobs and may be culturally different for some. Not everyone is a bendable chameleon. Fifteen properties in Tullahoma? All for $120,000 and under with at least four bedrooms, 2-car garage and 1/2 acre? Really? I found two. Maybe they have a lot of pocket listings.

Best of luck to you. If you have anymore questions and want answers, let us know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM

15 posts, read 24,749 times
Wow. Maybe everyone's right. I never encountered people in my entire life to be so cynical. I've always gotten along with everyone, love people and we are outgoing, but hey...if this is the way it is, maybe TN isn't as welcoming as we thought. We had grown to love TN without even being there the way you love a child before they're even born.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 PM

736 posts, read 1,429,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edamms View Post
Wow. Maybe everyone's right. I never encountered people in my entire life to be so cynical. I've always gotten along with everyone, love people and we are outgoing, but hey...if this is the way it is, maybe TN isn't as welcoming as we thought. We had grown to love TN without even being there the way you love a child before they're even born.
Cynical? Is it because the info you received didn't appeal to you? Isn't welcoming? You are not even here yet. A bit defensive?

Old 03-27-2011, 04:31 PM

The people I spoke to directly that live there spoke highly of TN and we received a different impression than what is being spoken of on this forum. Our realtor, has also been wonderful which is why I found these responses so surprising.
I also have to apologize for the original question, I noticed now a typo I made which was meant to read 3-4 bedroom. There are quite a few 3 bedroom homes that fit our description.
If you reread the answers I received and put yourselves in my shoes, how exactly would you feel? Would you feel welcome? Would you feel that the responses were less than friendly? I like honesty, but I don't need to be told "how" to go about things, such as renting first. I merely wanted information pertaining to the areas. No harm done...really.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM

15,205 posts, read 10,310,157 times
Quote:
The people I spoke to directly that live there spoke highly of TN and we received a different impression than what is being spoken of on this forum. Our realtor, has also been wonderful which is why I found these responses so surprising.
I also have to apologize for the original question, I noticed now a typo I made which was meant to read 3-4 bedroom. There are quite a few 3 bedroom homes that fit our description.
If you reread the answers I received and put yourselves in my shoes, how exactly would you feel? Would you feel welcome? Would you feel that the responses were less than friendly? I like honesty, but I don't need to be told "how" to go about things, such as renting first. I merely wanted information pertaining to the areas. No harm done...really.
I'm glad there was no harm done...

Everyone is only " suggesting" to rent first to make sure you find a job near where y'all will live. " If" you are able to find a job at all....
IMHO...makes no sense to buy a house ( maybe in a not so nice area) then have a job offer 30 miles or more away....

From the response that were giving...I would thank them for their insight which could be a very costly mistake...

Last edited by Bones; 03-27-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM

374 posts, read 785,217 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone here was being cynical, unwelcoming, or unkind. Everyone was offering you the best information and advice they have to offer. So, if you think this is cynical, you may be in for some rude awakenings. Since we don't know how adaptable someone is, particularly if moving from northern/NY culture to southern TN culture, or if you've ever lived in the south, we were simply offering heartfelt suggestions born from personal experience. Many of us settled here looking for exactly what you're looking for, bought without "testing the water" and/or having employment in place and got off to a rough start. Some were lucky and did exactly what you propose and had happy results - or they just relay their story with a "sweet lemons" attitude. If you are a "seasoned" transplant having lived all over the country and have always made happy and positive choices, asking for our input was probably of no consequence anyway.

What you may, or may not, realize is that many of the smaller cities and towns in TN may not be as welcoming to you as a more metropolitan TN area such as Knox County. Jobs are scarce in those areas, jobs are offered first to locals and sometimes an "outsider" rarely has an opportunity for work. Some small towns are just downright unwelcoming of outsiders and TN isn't the only state that's like that.

We could tell you how wonderful the scenery is here, how wonderful the locals are, that all your dreams will come true, blah, blah, blah. And, for those of us who have been here a while, we DO believe it's a beautiful place to live, that the people and way of life is wonderful - but we realize that it may not be for everyone. While many of us prefer not to rent, we also realize that sometimes it's the best option vs. investing a huge amount of money and having to unhappily sit in a house you own until you can unload it. Some of us came here without a job, were extremely well-qualified for multiple jobs, and found out just how difficult it is when we moved to that sweet little small town, idyllic area, where unemployment is higher even during the best of times and locals get hired first. Some people are shocked to learn that many of the more rural counties have no real zoning or building permit/inspection requirements. There's a wealth of information we can offer - it just might not be what you want to hear.

Knoxville is definitely East TN, Cleveland is getting more toward south-central, and Tullahoma is definitely south-central. So information about those areas will be considerably different. Just remember, if you can buy property in a rural area for a greatly reduced and attractive price - there's probably a pretty good reason you can't get the same deal in an area that's thriving through this economy.

Unemployment rates as of Jan 2011 were:
Knox County/Knoxville - 7.5%
Bradley County/Cleveland - 9.7%
Coffee County/Tullahoma - 10.9%

So, if you posted here thinking that you would only get responses in sync with what you want to hear, or what you believe you already know about the area, then asking for info and input probably wasn't a great idea. We still welcome you and hope your move to TN brings you great happiness.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Thank you Bones and TN Gal. That was a little more appreciated. I am in tune with the realities of jobs and we're prepared for that. Currently, my husband commutes 45 minutes to his job, but he will be retiring. I haven't worked since the beginning of December due to a knee replacement and can't go back to where I worked because I was on my feet 8-9 hours straight. (Also a large commute) So, we're prepared to start anew. The timing is right. I guess when it comes right down to it, it's good feedback to hear how everyone feels about where they live, whether positive or negative. For example, speaking with friends from PBS.com some have better things to say about some towns than others; more rural vs. city/small town/small city. Amenities such as stores, historic places, community events and the like.
I do appreciate everyone's input, I truly do. I guess maybe I didn't phrase my question properly. But I do thank you.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM

I agree with all of the above. I spent some time looking up statistics for you, homes, etc. It's time I'm not going to get back. I surely wish someone would have been able to advise me when I moved to TN in 2005 but City-Data didn't exist.

However, I did reach out to someone on the net who did advise me about Knoxville. Incidentally, once I moved up here she told me that I should be ashamed of myself for looking for a job. She was a strong Southern Baptist and wasn't shy about calling me out for needing a job. I just took her advice and moved on.

I rented for the first three years in a rural area in Knox County. Even though we were about 15 minutes to downtown Knoxville, it seemed like a world away. I'm a small-town gal of New England that lived in Orlando and a Midwestern-enclave of Florida. I really like small towns and rural life but after three years of that, we ended up purchasing in the city limits. The cities around here are very small and I live on a street that resembles the small town I was raised in.

And rural Knox County is not Tullahoma.

Maybe you are familiar with living in a small town in The South, but if you are not you could very well be in a for a shock. That's all we are saying. Regions of the country can be very, very different and not only in weather but people, religious beliefs, politics. Heck, some people might run you out on a rail for even mentioning PBS.

But if you get that ruffled by serious answers to your questions I truly wonder how adaptable you will be.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:24 PM

haha. Thanks. Oh, PBS is paperbackswap, not public broadcasting. I know what you're talking about. When I lived in PA, there was a lot of religious beliefs, but made things very interesting. I guess I took a few comments as an underlying sarcasm that wasn't necessary. If it wasn't meant that way, then I stand corrected.
And Bones? Thank you for the PM and useful info. I am checking it out ASAP and next week. Thanks.
That's a main reason for our visit; to check out different towns and speak with people. We are going to check out Cookeville, Cleveland, Tullahoma and Mufreesboro. We kind of narrowed it down. By speaking with people, we were able to delete quite a few places we considered originally. Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 PM

PBS is paper back swap! I love it!

Do know that you are moving to The Bible belt. In a town of that size, where you go to church is going to be very important. The only way you can avoid that sort of thing is to live in a city like Knoxville or be tough as nails and not care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or