U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 10:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,510 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I am looking to relocate to Tennessee. I don't have a particular spot on the map as of yet, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a clue where to begin.

I honestly don't have what you might consider a good reason for wanting to move to Tennessee, just something there is calling to me. I know all states have their beauty/ugly but in my mind I smell fresh country air and see beautiful clear skies that are blue (not like our brown cast blue skies in Phoenix), and I guess a place to start over again.

I am an Air Force brat, so moving all over the country when I was younger was just a part of life. I moved to Phoenix in 1994 and I have just plain had it with what used to seem a tropical paradise. Too much drama, too many scandalous people, too many meth addicts, a total lack of community and no such thing as being neighborly. I have lived in Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Phoenix, Scottsdale and now Glendale. Surprisingly Phoenix was the best of all of the locations as our entire apartment complex seemed to bond quite well over the three years I was there.

I am probably looking for way too much of any one place on earth, but maybe you might know where this place may be in Tennessee.

I am looking for, small to medium sized town/city with enough business to find a decent enough job. I have many years of various management positions, I am currently a small business owner, and I have a high technical aptitude.

All I really require personally is a decent apartment, a small amount of nightlife on the days off, some scenic areas close enough to visit for a weekend and (crossing fingers) some decent public transportation. Decent enough to get me to work and back until I can either car pool or get my license straightened out*, the nightlife and weekends I'll figure out on my own in time I guess.

I would love to get away from gunshots and sirens, and the less crime the better, but I am a realist in this area. My car was broken into most often in the better parts of this sprawling mass of a cityscape.

I miss small town friendly, having a small army of friends, and a good hearted loyal woman at my side. After pops joined the civilian lifestyle I grew up for most of my young life in Upstate New York. A small town called Elmira, all of 31,000 residents. I am not looking to relocate to that small of an area unless of course it is easily connected to a larger corridor (the public transportation thing) but small town values and actually knowing your neighbors are OK with me!

I am athletic, and I do enjoy a good workout, long walk/hike and have learned that swimming pools are not automatic outside of the desert - so a swimming pool would be nice in the apartment residence.

I am a single, straight, 44 year old white male - I only mention this so that if there are some places that would rather not include me in their community this information is provided up front - I am not prejudiced either racially or by someones sexual orientation - but the world is allowed to have its opinion of me.

SO.... to sum up my long winded rant - I guess I want:

A not too big, not too small place to start over that has good public transportation with friendly people and enough work to locate a job. A swimming pool in a nice affordable apartment complex/residence would be a plus - Some night life to allow me to meet a sweetheart of a woman, and fresh air with blue skies and oh I know, STARS at night! You can't see the stars at night in Phoenix, the city lights are too bright... a few here and there, but I miss looking at the stars. A lack of gunshots, meth amphetamine addicts and muggings would be a huge plus.

I am a hopeless romantic at heart - and if there is a place in Tennessee that needs another one of us - let me know and I will pack my bags!

Thank you for any assistance and for reading all of this mess!

*My license is a mess due to a DUI (only one, and my last thank you) - and the fact that I have ADHD. Yes, because I have ADHD my license was revoked by the State of Arizona pending medical clearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 PM

22,534 posts, read 46,098,082 times
You could start your search by looking at Knoxville.

It's a small city, a little less than 180,000. Knox County is much larger and there is some sprawl to the west but all things considered, Knoxville seems like a rather large town. I think it has to do with the friendliness of its people. Everyone seems connected somehow. Even the newcomers. We all seem to know of each other and interconnect in odd and amusing ways.

Anyway, it's the type of place where people recognize you in the grocery store and if they don't, well they talk to you anyway. It's the kind of place where you never wait in a line without somehow ending up in a conversation with the people in line.

It has the lowest unemployment rate of the largest MSAs in the state, and has been this way throughout the recession. That doesn't means you will land a job in a minute, but you have probably a better chance than anywhere else. Knox County is about 7.5 percent, and Phoenix is about 9.3.

Prices are affordable. Pay can be fairly low but so is cost of living.

Our downtown has been lovingly restored and is small but charming.

There is a fair amount of nightlife, especially since this is a college town.

Our bus system is not stellar but fairly good for a small city. Welcome to KAT, Knoxville Area Transit!

We have four evenly-spaced seasons in Knoxville. It's never too cold or too hot and just when you are getting sick of it, another season is upon us. I call it "Goldilocks weather." However, it's going to be more humid than you are use to compared to upper NYS and Phoenix. It could be a consideration.

This is The Bible belt. It's never in your face. In the smaller towns it can be an issue but not in the cities. However, if seeing a church on every corner and one in between is an issue, this may not be for you. It's another consideration.

We are fairly close to The Smokies and The Cumberlands, in a valley that has some hills of its own. You can get to rural areas in fairly short order, usually 15 minutes and there is a lot of hiking. Further, we have an incredible amount of parks and greenways.

We are very polite here. Folks wave at strangers and let other cars into traffic. If this sort of thing is annoying then you will probably want to stay away.

Anyway, check it out. It may be your new paradise.

Knoxville, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Knoxville Visitor Center | The Official Site of Knoxville

Knoxville CBID

http://knoxvillemarketsquare.com/

City parks:

City of Knoxville Parks, Greenways, Golf Courses and Rec Centers Map

County parks:

Parks Information - Knox County Tennessee

City of Knoxville - Newcomer Info

And to top it all off, Knoxville was just named the second most romantic city in the country.

Amazon Media Room: News Release

Old 03-28-2011, 01:02 AM

Thank you very much! I started digging into the forum after posting and had seen your other posts on Knoxville, and you do make it sound quite the fit.

Romance, Bibles (I most likely could use more pew time), Nightlife... a little nervous about the college town thing more on that in a bit, and so far everything looks quite beautiful.

Luckily for me, we have had a steady increase in humidity in Phoenix each year with the influx of man-made lakes and swimming pools. In 1994 when I first came, I could hardly breathe because there just wasn't enough moisture in the air. Upstate NY is VERY humid - take a shower, walk to the car, need a shower kind of humid - I don't miss it, but I certainly wont miss 3 solid months of 100 - 110 degrees (in the shade) either.

As far as the college town / night life thing - ASU is king of the roost in Tempe, and in Elmira there are quite a few rowdy hockey players - as I am past the college age I tend to look for more hole in the wall or pub type places that have more local appeal. I am assuming the college crowd goes to the college crowd places and the locals go to the local places? I am not a big drinker, but I do love my sports and a beer or two after a hard days work is relaxing. I grew up in the bar world as my uncle owned several small bar and grills and I used to be cheap labor for him before I turned 19 =o) So my idea of nightlife might put some to sleep. I love small smoky jazz/blues bars - dark enough to relax, light enough not to trip over the microphone cords taped to the floor.

I certainly know this is a good place to start my quest - I just found out I have an old high school friend from NY that lives in Chatanooga - only a 2 hour trip - cool!

Thank you again and I look forward to any other responses as well. I am a bit spontaneous and could be there in a week or in 3 months so please fill my head with possibilities - I have a tendency to go with what feels right.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:34 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,698,956 times
I'm throwing my vote in for Knoxville too. I'm from Germantown, NY(southern Columbia County and probably smaller then Elmira!) I've been home in Knoxville for 5 years now. Just did a whirlwind trip to NY for 4 days and couldn't wait to get home.

I was born and raised on a farm in one horse towns in NY state and Knoxville may be a city, but to me, it is more like an overgrown town. People are friendly here and it is a nice mix of natives, transplants and students. I love it here, have from my first day here. Although Bill my husband passed away and my family is bugging me to move back to NY, I won't for all the money in the world.Check out Knoxville, you may just fall in love with it too.
Pam

Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Thank you so much - Knoxville sounds great! Keep 'em coming - I might just be leaving sooner than expected - thank you again!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 PM

33,949 posts, read 32,402,154 times
I just want to say it's humid here and although there are 4 seasons, summer starts ealier and ends later, temperature-wise. But, if you are still in the workforce, and you don't work outdoors, it probably won't bother you at all.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 AM

851 posts, read 2,081,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I'm throwing my vote in for Knoxville too. I'm from Germantown, NY(southern Columbia County and probably smaller then Elmira!) I've been home in Knoxville for 5 years now. Just did a whirlwind trip to NY for 4 days and couldn't wait to get home.

I was born and raised on a farm in one horse towns in NY state and Knoxville may be a city, but to me, it is more like an overgrown town. People are friendly here and it is a nice mix of natives, transplants and students. I love it here, have from my first day here. Although Bill my husband passed away and my family is bugging me to move back to NY, I won't for all the money in the world.Check out Knoxville, you may just fall in love with it too.
Pam

OMGosh, Pam I'm so sorry to hear that your Bill passed away. I wish you the best always.

I live in a small town but it's not too far from Knoxville. We have gone there several times and it does have that big/small town comfort. Knoxville has my vote as well.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,547,180 times
I know that you said you're looking at Tennessee, but...

Have you looked at Asheville NC? You'd almost be in TN, but not quite. Asheville has a good vibe, lots of single people, decent public transportation, relatively low unemployment (last I checked), and wonderful scenery.

It's just an idea. If your heart is set on TN, though, there are plenty of places in TN that will meet most--probably not all--of your criteria. I can definitely understand the affinity for TN and your wanting to be here. I'm a native who has left TN many times in my life -- and I've come back home every time. I hate the politics here. I hate what the trees and grasses here do to my allergies. But it's home, and I love it, and I hope to never leave again. It's a hard thing to explain, but when you get here and stay for a while, you'll understand.

As for TN suggestions, aside from Knoxville which has already been mentioned, you might look at Chattanooga, Cookeville, or the Tri-Cities. Heck, even here in Mt. Juliet or further down the road in Lebanon, you can see the stars at night, and you can ride the train into Nashville for work everyday.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee