Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 11:19 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe P View Post
Yeah, the gang issue around here definitely needs to be addressed. You think Bloods and Crips in California are bad? Heck, I'll put our gangs around here against any of 'em. The nice thing about ours is that they all dress the same so they're easy to spot but they always have at least one weapon with them, and you usually know who has it.

Always be wary when traveling through east Tn and watch for the gangs. Our community isn't safe from them unless there is a Little League game in progress and the scary group is in the field and the one with the weapon is at bat.
What about Grey Panther gangs and a penchant to knock over school budgets and mow people down with their cars, right in broad daylight? Bring it on, you young whippersnappers!

But seriously, I've never lived anyplace where you had to deal with gangs.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:59 PM

44 posts, read 187,164 times
I find the original post laughable at best, especially when the poster has had nothing but negative remarks to make in *every* thread posted, and has based those comments on what she's "heard from relatives in Western NC", according to another post. DFTT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
I have relatives in Western North Carolina who have told me there is an increasing illegal/mexican gang problem spreading through Eastern Tennessee.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:14 PM

8,041 posts, read 10,632,364 times
Actually, I sold my home in Western North Carolina between Charlotte and Ashville about a year ago and moved away - far away, after 10 years. I do still have relatives in Western North Carolina. I'm sorry, they must be dreaming. There are no illegal immigrant problems in Tennessee. Probably not in North Carolina either, even though it is a subject on every major talk radio station out of Charlotte, day after day after day. They must not know what they are talking about either. Glad I'm gone!

Old 08-30-2006, 09:44 PM

44 posts, read 187,164 times
So am I.

Why don't you post in the NC forum, not the Tennessee forum? You don't live in Tennessee, have apparently *never* lived in Tennessee, so wouldn't know Tennessee. People asking questions about an area generally want to hear from people who actually have experience with the area.

I notice in your Maryland post you don't mention that there are actually gang task forces in Montgomery County, and that recently federal funds were secured to fight the growing problem with gangs in both Montgomery and Prince George's counties, yet you were "born and raised there." They actually have warned cops in both counties that Salvadoran gangs are plotting to ambush and kill them when they make service calls. This info is from major newspapers and federal sites. Yet you talk about a "growing gang problem" in East Tennessee based on what you've been told about newstalk radio.

Your relatives talking about how "it's talked about all the time on the Charlotte radio" doesn't really qualify as a good source. Most "major talk radio" stations are so far right-leaning that you will *never* get a middle-of-the-road view. WBT? They have Limbaugh and Boortz, who aren't exactly unbiased. That's the only "major" talk radio station on the FM dial in the Charlotte area. Z Talk? They have Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. They're not any different than the first two. These two "major" stations show their bias just with their pundits.

Newstalk isn't an indicator of reality. It's a bastion of skewed viewpoints. I've listened to my fair share of newstalk to be able to tell the difference.

Xenophobia is an ugly thing. Uninformed xenophobia is even uglier.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM

33 posts, read 157,499 times
Default Gangs

I have lived in a lot of places in this Country, and I have seen more in my lifetime than most people twice my age. Let me tell you there is NOT a GANG problem in East Tennessee. These people who get in trouble are wanabees with nothing to do. Trust me I have lived in areas like Detroit and Washington D.C. You can't even begin to compare Tennesseee to those areas. I also work in the media and they are getting too excited over nothing. Sometimes I think they are trying to scare people. The crime is high compared to the population that lives here but in towns like Knoxville or Chattanooga it can be weeks or months before a murder happens. It makes me laugh when I hear people talk like they are from the inner city. They even try the inner city acsent. They will act big and bad, but I would love to see them act this way back in Detroit.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:18 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinz View Post
Xenophobia is an ugly thing. Uninformed xenophobia is even uglier.
If you told me you haven't noticed the disproportional amounts of hispanic and illegal alien crime rates in this state, and the country, I think you would be lying. Illegal aliens, and illegal alien/hispanic gangs are a problem in Tennessee and there are many neighborhoods White people aren't even allowed to go in, in a country they built (ie: the Black and Hispanic neighborhoods).

"Let me tell you there is NOT a GANG problem in East Tennessee. "

You've obviously never lived in North Knoxville/Magnolia.

"The crime is high compared to the population that lives here but in towns like Knoxville or Chattanooga it can be weeks or months before a murder happens. It makes me laugh when I hear people talk like they are from the inner city. They even try the inner city acsent. They will act big and bad, but I would love to see them act this way back in Detroit."

Detroit is ruined just like area with a similar demographic.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:42 PM

55 posts, read 345,350 times
Is there really a gang problem in E Tennessee, what do you mean watch for the gangs JoeP? What kind of gangs,,, kids or adults? Are there specific areas where they is higher crime in the east?

Old 08-31-2006, 04:38 PM

211 posts, read 290,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynB View Post
Is there really a gang problem in E Tennessee, what do you mean watch for the gangs JoeP? What kind of gangs,,, kids or adults? Are there specific areas where they is higher crime in the east?
I wouldn't say there are gangs to watch for, there are areas of Knoxville where if you are White you do not want to go to after dark. This is primarily in North Knoxville/Magnolia area. I can't speak for the other areas in E.TN but I believe the demographics will often speak for themselves.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:37 PM

45 posts, read 250,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynB View Post
Jeeze, Carolyn, he was kidding. It was satire, a little bit of humor there...Oh, never mind...

Old 09-01-2006, 05:05 PM

950 posts, read 3,191,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLove View Post
I wouldn't say there are gangs to watch for, there are areas of Knoxville where if you are White you do not want to go to after dark. This is primarily in North Knoxville/Magnolia area. I can't speak for the other areas in E.TN but I believe the demographics will often speak for themselves.
What kind of problem in northern Knoxville? I only hear of more problems in eastern Knoxville. I used to attend a school in southern Knoxville on Island Home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee