U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:34 PM

39,195 posts, read 37,806,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
The store itself is ok, and the village is pretty neat, but the restaurant is horrid. Like many (most?) Jacksonians who've eaten there, I have my fair share of bug stories. Yuck.
I guess I'll consider myself lucky. 15 - 20 times in my life and no bugs (that I know of).

That's the beauty of gravy, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:23 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I guess I'll consider myself lucky. 15 - 20 times in my life and no bugs (that I know of).

That's the beauty of gravy, though.
Ha!

We won't even talk about the cracklin' cornbread.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 AM

6,591 posts, read 19,809,039 times
stumpeace, thats exactly the kind of place i was hoping for...bells drive in...
small local places with good food when i can do a little people watching whiel we eat and just get a little feel for it.

i do have an offer for lunch that day from a lovely member here whos local to that area so ill let him suprise us :P but those are definatly the kinds of places im 100% looking for, very "local flavor" ive always prefered off the main stretch local places everywhere we go over big chain resturaunts, they care more about their service and always have a better atmosphere (even if you do get funny looks the first time you walk through the door)

when i was growing up we vacationed in spain alot, (hey when your only a hop away over a relitivly small pond lol, spain is the vaca spot for brits) weds always get on a local buss in the morning, and see where it took us for the day, we rarely met other vacationers and the few brits we did meet on those trips were full time residents in these tiny little spanish towns away from the holiday strips...
the residents bareley ever spoke a lick of english, but we found some of the best eating spots and freindliest people in those little village pubs and grills..

thats one of the things i miss...even local places arnt usually that frinedly around her

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
This being west Tennessee I doubt you can find even 1 restaurant that doesnt have at least a few bugs. Quite high in protein. When I eat a lunch or dinner buffet in Jackson I usually choose Barnhills.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:06 PM

LOL capt.Dan
adds a little crunch right?! :P

personally i get more concerned about all the things you DONT see going into food...omg a fly in the soup...yup BIG DEAL...*rolls eyes*
ive worked (short term) in resturaunts that are highly rated around here, even some very "Classy spots" and ive never once found one that doesnt replalte food thats fallen on the floor as long as it doesnt look dirty, or yicky grease traps, or not washing their hands...ect.

i mean id prefer no bugs in my food, im not realy into the eating cockroaches thing, and chocolate covered ants are realy not my thing...but theres definatly worse things going on behind the scense i can assure you.

we used to joke when i worked at the zoo...all our animals food was kept in airtight containers, industrial freezers ect...we had to wash our hands before prepping it, and steralize all the knives and chopping boards and such after every preped meal (not after prepping all the meals for that sitting...nope after each animals meals were prepared)
yet wed all come in right from cleaning poop from a vast many animals of large exotic origins and i dont think one of us ever botherd to give our hands more than a quick rinse under the hot tap LOL!
our lions food was cleaner than ours.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:21 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the locals. I always thought CT people were not very friendly. The only thing to be careful for is in some towns they are friendly to visitors but not necessarily when you move in. It's only in certain places. It's odd how some towns can be strange and others aren't like that.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM

i understand that though, especially in towns with alot of "old" blood..they know everyone, they know their neighbors, know the riff raff, know what to expect and then some stranger comeas along and they seem perfectly nice, BUT you never know...there wonderfull when they visit but then they move in and next thing you know theres 15 kids 6 monster trucks the family plus extended, and their entire lot is a junk yard...
(been there done that)

so i completly understand people in these "old blood" small towns being cold to new arrivals...
as long as there willing to give me a chance...im ok with a little "i dont know you" attitude at first :P

the good news is, other than the english accent, (and the fact that i realy like pink) im rather unnassuming...i generally just fade right in to any situation before anyone even knows im there...
its not untill you get into my house that you realize im one odd cookie :P

Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
If you are looking in the Jackson and west area (finger, Henderson), why not stay in Jackson? There are 2 really nice new hotels (we stayed in one when we went to look at our house). Hampton Inn and Courtyard are both right off 40 at exit 83. We stayed at the Hampton, just opened when we stayed there last year. I understand from TripAdvisor there's a new Courtyard off exit 85 and it's ranked #2 in Jackson, behind the Hampton Inn.

That drive in/out of Nashville is a long one and I was really glad we stayed in Jackson. Our house is just south of Henderson.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:10 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
theres 15 kids 6 monster trucks the family plus extended, and their entire lot is a junk yard...
Locals don't always frown on this sort of thing. Some do, most definitely, and lot of transplants don't like it, but that sort of situation is not really that unusual. If anything, they are more worried that you might be bringing in a different mentality where you are going to complain about their cars and trucks across the yard, many sitting on blocks, or stuff strewn across their property. It's a live and let live type of area. Most folks - local or not - that really want to avoid that sort of thing move into subdivisions with regulations. Other than that, the general thinking is that it is your property and you can do what you want with it.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:39 AM

NY, i did look into staying a few days in henderson, but the hotel price was alot more than what we found in nashville (and a 2 1/2 hour drive one way is fairly normal for me) and were also looking in other areas too.

for us hotel choice was mroe about price and being convenient to the airport.

Hik, oh absolutly agree...personally im a "if i wanted everyones house painted the same color id move to a hoa..." kind of gal...
the way i figure it, im moving there so i need to adapt to their way of life, not the other way round...

i mean thats like moving to india and arguing with the locals about the cows in the road...their country or in this case...state, their rules lol...

as long as other peoples trash doesnt end up in my yard for my eventual goats to eat (not talking wind, more incosndierate people driving by) i dont care what ya do in your own yard.
we have a frined...(and neighbor) who while we love him dearly hes one of those "i want it my way" kind of folks, he moved to this area, and its a very nice area...but theres 1 house on the corner thats a little beaten up, the owners are older and obviously not rolling in money, and the previous owners (it sold as a forclosure) ripped off all the siding and such...which the current owners are slowly trying to replace...but hes constantly whining about hos its an eyesore in HIS neighborhood and brings down the prices of all the houses...

*rolls eyes*

dude, they pay good money to live there, they own it, get over yourself...you want perfectly manicured lawns and flashy houses, move your butt to a hoa where those thigns are regulated.

personally it buggs me how much say other people have on how we use our own property around here...
we have 11 chickens...(no roosters) the neighbors love them, they dont make much noise and we keep everything clean so theres no yicky smells...and were fenced and the hens dont challenge the fence...
but if the town found out wed have to give the girls away simply because they changed the law last year that you need a minimum of 3 acres to keep fowl of any kind...*blink blink*

im definatly on the "i pay for it i shoudl be able to do what i want with it" wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or