U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM

5 posts, read 19,921 times
Default Relocated in Feb07, still no friends

Hi all, my wife and I moved to Oak Ridge from Orlando in February this year. We both work from home so it is not so easy to meet new people. We are not totally alone. My wife's huge family lives here too. Aside from family we have no local friends. We are in the 25 - 30 age range, but not limited to friends in that age group. We are going to join a fall bowling league and maybe one of the community bands.

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:22 PM

275 posts, read 731,968 times
throw a BBQ to meet the neighbors.

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:31 PM

2,911 posts, read 4,985,015 times
Join a local church and start to volunteer. You will become one of the most sought after people in the area anytime something needs to be done.

Seriously, church is a major social event as are school functions. Being a volunteer at church or a member of a parent organization will put you in contact with almost everyone for miles around.

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM

6,283 posts, read 14,458,038 times
Any kind of activity that you truly enjoy would be a good way to meet other people. If you really enjoy bowling and band, great. If not, then look for some other kinds of activity.

Personally, I prefer to have a few good friends, rather than just a whole bunch of people I know.

Another suggestion, if you have neighbors close by is find some way to meet them. If you become friends with a couple of other couples, and maybe a couple of singles, you're well on your way.

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone.
Stuff with the neighbors isn't for us at this time because our neighbors are all age 50+. We are hoping to meet some younger couples. Church is also not for us because we are not religious.
We do truly enjoy bowling and band so those will be good for us. I appreciate everybody's input.

I signed up on meetup.com to see if there are any interesting groups that meet in the area.

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:48 PM

21,429 posts, read 28,075,597 times
Did you not say that you are not limited to people in your age group?

Unread 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Yes, hiknapster, I did say that. But I can have a preference right? I'm not saying no to the 50+ crowd, i'm just choosing not to start my search with a group that I know is all 50+. That is different than meeting someone and they happen to be 50+.

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM

21,429 posts, read 28,075,597 times
Well, Oak Ridge has a lot of transplants, due to the Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Still, I can honestly say that every time I go to that town, I meet very friendly people. Even the transplants are outrageously friendly.

We went to the Secret City festival, sat down at the reenactment, and two kids, Midwestern transplants, were so sweet to my daughter. I took a picture of them. My daughter is the cranky one in the front. The sun was in her eyes.

You start with your neighbors. If you immediately cross them off your list, well, then, I think you might be a little too picky. East Tennessee is a family kind of place. Generations blend together. This is not Florida, where groups are classified by age. I think the problem begins with you.

By the way, we love to bowl. I'm 45, my husband is 38 and my daughter is 7. We don't hit your demographic.

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:06 PM

Oak Ridge is big enough to have all sort of special interest groups . . . book reading clubs, nature, sports, concerts in the park, etc. If there's a small community paper around, they usually list those kinds of things.

For you, just finding a another couple that you like hanging out with would make it so you didn't feel quite as "alone". Good luck with it.

Unread 07-30-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
By the way, we love to bowl. I'm 45, my husband is 38 and my daughter is 7. We don't hit your demographic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow. You don't look a day over 8! Why, you don't look much older than your daughter.

Cute daughter you have though.

;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee