Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,688 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate from the Seattle area to E.Tenn. We've had enough of this pace and attitude to last a lifetime! We've raised our kids and now it's our turn to focus on ourselves and our dreams. The best friends anyone can have live in New Market and we visit them as often as we can. The problem is when it comes time to leave E.Tenn, we don't want to. We've never been in a place that's felt so much like home and so beautiful. We want to make our home in New Market and would appreciate any advise and direction to aid in our job searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
My wife and I are looking to relocate from the Seattle area to E.Tenn. We've had enough of this pace and attitude to last a lifetime! We've raised our kids and now it's our turn to focus on ourselves and our dreams. The best friends anyone can have live in New Market and we visit them as often as we can. The problem is when it comes time to leave E.Tenn, we don't want to. We've never been in a place that's felt so much like home and so beautiful. We want to make our home in New Market and would appreciate any advise and direction to aid in our job searching.
I can certainly understand! New Market is in a beautiful area.

What kinds of jobs are you going to be looking for?

Look for posts by happyappy. He and his wife just moved to the area (Monterey) from Seattle, too. He might be able to offer some tips.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Hello, welcome to the forum!.
I lived in New Market from 97 to 99. Unfortunately, there aren't many jobs in that part of Jefferson County. You will have to drive either 30-45 minutes to Knoxville to the west or to Morristown which is about 30 minutes to the East.
It is a nice, beautiful area and I too have some friends there that I feel are more like family. I just did not personally care for the schools (which are not an issue for you) or for Jefferson City as a whole, but that is just me.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyB View Post
Did you ever think you'd see scenic beauty that surpasses Western Washington? I still marvel at it. Of course, we've only been here since mid-April in Middle Tennessee. I don't think I'll ever get so used to it that I don’t continually marvel at it. Even as aggravated as I was twice a day driving to and from work I never stopped enjoying the scenic beauty outside the populated areas of Western Washington.

I don’t know anything about Eastern Tennessee other than it’s gorgeous (from pictures I’ve seen). We intend to do lots of traveling but it won’t likely be for several months. But I’ll guarantee that you’ll get loads of valuable information from the folks in this forum. THESE PEOPLE KNOW TENNESSEE!

Best of luck in your search and I hope you make the move; you’ll be oh-so-glad you did!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:05 PM

647 posts, read 2,082,768 times
Yeah, Jefferson county rules! What kind of stuff do you need to know about? I lived up that way for a little while and still visit the area often....and I liked most everything about it....but, yeah, the jobs situation can be a question mark. Knoxville "should" have plenty of opportunities, but, just like anyplace, it can depend on what type of field you're looking to find work in.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 PM
YFY

11 posts, read 12,117 times
I hate to tell you this but nothing in the state of TN will come close to comparing to the beauty of the mountains and coast of Washington state. Argue against that all you need too, wont bother me.

If you do come to east TN bring some good tech jobs with you, you'll find that they are few and far between here.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YFY View Post
I hate to tell you this but nothing in the state of TN will come close to comparing to the beauty of the mountains and coast of Washington state. Argue against that all you need too, wont bother me.

If you do come to east TN bring some good tech jobs with you, you'll find that they are few and far between here.
An honest beginning to your post would have been, "I'm going to LOVE telling you this . . ." You did enjoy writing out your opinion and then posting it here, didn’t you?

As a resident of Western Washington for over 30 years, I managed to form an opinion or two about the aesthetic appeal of the geographic area, and I have many hundreds of photographs to remember it by. I’m so disappointed that MY opinion is wrong and that yours is the superior. Now what am I going to do with all these photographs?

I’m wondering now how many other opinions of mine are inferior to yours. I might get depressed . . . Where are those meds . . . It’s been awhile . . .

Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
OK guys, take it easy, everyone has a right to their opinions of an area, lets not start a flame war over it. Some prefer Washington, some prefer TN. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
HappyYappy, go look at the fireflies. You'll feel ever so much better!

Or you could go find a still!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Yeah, but STILL . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
HappyYappy, go look at the fireflies. You'll feel ever so much better!

Or you could go find a still!
I sure do enjoy watching those fireflies! Their numbers are dwindling. I hope they’re just off mating so there’ll be more next year.

There was an exceptionally loud BOOM on the Fourth of July that actually rattled our windows, glasses, and rumbled the floor. I asked a neighbor about it the next day and he said, “Oh, it was probably a still. They’ll go up every once in awhile.” He’s got a great dry sense of humor so I’m not quite sure if he’s pulling my chain or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee