U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 32,584 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me a bit about Saltillo...places to shop, horseback riding areas, no schooling info needed, is it a dry countYy? anything else you can share with me... TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 5,721,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooyman View Post
Can anyone tell me a bit about Saltillo...places to shop, horseback riding areas, no schooling info needed, is it a dry countYy? anything else you can share with me... TIA!!
You might want to check out the first part of this thread: NYers retiring to TN

With Google Maps' Street View function you can take a virtual drive through downtown Saltillo...just don't blink! Keep in mind that the nearest hospital is in Savannah, a half-hour drive from Saltillo.

FWIW, Hardin Co. allows retail package stores but not liquor by the drink.

Last edited by kamoshika; 04-20-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
We almost bought in Saltillo - I loved that house but the inspection came up with too many issues. Eh, I thought it was the end of the world at the time we looked, but a year later, we bought a house at the end of the world that made Saltillo look like a busy place.

Hubby and I have to renew our CPR and first aid certs before the move.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:38 PM

Thank you for the info!
Right now we are in WI and are fed up with the cold! We have 4 horses and like the country living...we have 5 acres here and are approx 15 min from a small Walmart and small hospital..the home we found on Newton Rd is exactly what we are looking for it reminds us of our Cabin we have in the northwoods here!
Need to find jobs still and gather a litttle more info!
thanx
again!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Jobs and Saltillo ARE mutually exclusive. Good luck though.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Jobs and Saltillo ARE mutually exclusive. Good luck though.

We are not expecting to work in Saltillo just live with outr dogs and horses...we will travel for work as we do now i drive about 1/2 hr...so that is no problem we come from a small town...up to 500 now i think!!! hahaha

we are looking for rural living winters are just too long and cold here...why is it that they're are no basements in the south???

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 AM

8,262 posts, read 15,977,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooyman View Post
We are not expecting to work in Saltillo just live with outr dogs and horses...we will travel for work as we do now i drive about 1/2 hr...so that is no problem we come from a small town...up to 500 now i think!!! hahaha

we are looking for rural living winters are just too long and cold here...why is it that they're are no basements in the south???
We dont need basements. We dont really have a "frost line" so our utilities dont need the protection that a basement offers. Plus, many Southerners have storm cellars or, as us old fogies have. "root cellars" where we store our canned and preserved foods and seek shelter from tornadoes.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
There is also an issue with rock - it isn't to dig a basement in shale, I've read. Besides, with enough land, you can build your basement on the main floor! What do you keep in a basement - stuff and water heater/furnace/laundry room. Put stuff in the attic and create a utility room. You mostly need central air and that goes outside.

We are opting for hot water on demand rather than a tank. Right now there's a small tank sitting in a closet. Heating the water right at the faucets makes more sense.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:26 PM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
I don't see a Newton Road in Saltillo.

Unemployment is high in that area. I think driving 30 minutes to get to a job is being very, very optimistic.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
Be careful of those on-demand water heaters. Most people dont realize that the faucet has to be turned on full force before the heaters kicks on.
I have installed a timer on my water heater, and have it turn on only 6 hours per day. We rarely notice the difference with it being on 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee