U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,556,847 times

Advertisements

I'm posting in the TN forum because it's specifically related to TN, not real estate. I'm finding that MOST realtors are used to sub-divisions and cities, not farming communities. So I'm getting little help in the real estate section.

So, for those of you in rural middle TN, how did you find your realtor? Were you happy with him / her? And those that have sold or are selling, is your realtor aggressive and familiar with very small farming communities? I've not been able to find a single good, aggressive realtor that actually puts up good listings on line with plenty photos and lots of information. I'd like to start talking to realtors and find one in the next few weeks.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM

182 posts, read 600,917 times
Middle Tennessee, to me, covers a large area. I would think that you will never find a realtor who is an expert on everything from Nashville to Knoxville.

If you could narrow your search area down a little.......or even into smaller groups (Nashville to Lebanon, Cookeville, Crossville to Knoxville) you might get some suggestions.

I know a good realtor in Cookeville but I would only suggest him for Putnam, White, Overton, Dekalb and Jackson counties...........and really if if came down to crunch time ....... just Putnam. These people specialize close to home. If they can make a living and not spend a ton of money traveling that's what's going to happen.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Im in rural mid tn. My realtor was my cousin. She had a listing (ex husband of our deceased cousin) for a house/property she felt like I should have even tho I wasnt really looking. I ended up buying it. IM unbiased O, she goes above and beyond. She went as far as feeding the dogs that were left on the property until I moved in. I can see if she is still in the business if you want to DM me for her info.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Messaging you now Mares - thank you!

RS - we've looked from here to about an hour away and not found a single realtor worth a penny. I'm disgusted at this point. My mother is a realtor and if the one Mares has isn't going to work out for us I'm seriously thinking of having mom help me along and list the blessed thing myself. Getting really frustrated. Amazed that anyone buys homes here. Locals should boycott the realtors and start selling themselves and force the realtors to get off their butt or find another line of work.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,798,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I'm seriously thinking of having mom help me along and list the blessed thing myself. Getting really frustrated. Amazed that anyone buys homes here. Locals should boycott the realtors and start selling themselves and force the realtors to get off their butt or find another line of work.

I'm in rural middle TN and have noticed the same thing with realtors here. My last realtor was great when I was selling my house in Nashville. It needed a little bit of fix-up and she had contacts with handymen who could fix it up cheaply before we listed it. Then she did whatever it took to get it sold.

I've been checking out realtors to sell my current house, which is in a rural town, and I'm so disgusted that I'm thinking of doing a FSBO instead. With all the money I'm going to be paying them, you'd think they could at least get me in touch with a good handyman who will actually show up, especially the one realtor I talked with whose husband is a contractor. He took the time to come out here to give me an estimate, but when it came time to hire him, he was a no-show, like 99% of the rest of the contractors around here. We are seriously lacking in good realtors and contractors who will actually do the job you pay them to do.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I'm in rural middle TN and have noticed the same thing with realtors here. My last realtor was great when I was selling my house in Nashville. It needed a little bit of fix-up and she had contacts with handymen who could fix it up cheaply before we listed it. Then she did whatever it took to get it sold.

I've been checking out realtors to sell my current house, which is in a rural town, and I'm so disgusted that I'm thinking of doing a FSBO instead. With all the money I'm going to be paying them, you'd think they could at least get me in touch with a good handyman who will actually show up, especially the one realtor I talked with whose husband is a contractor. He took the time to come out here to give me an estimate, but when it came time to hire him, he was a no-show, like 99% of the rest of the contractors around here. We are seriously lacking in good realtors and contractors who will actually do the job you pay them to do.
I'm thinking of the same thing. I stopped at a little store on the corner on the highway and she said there are always people stopping in looking for homes like ours on some land. Think I'm going to do up a flyer and run it over there. If it sells, great. If not, it didn't cost me a thing so no big deal. Very frustrating!

Old 04-28-2011, 04:05 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Quote:
Messaging you now Mares - thank you!

RS - we've looked from here to about an hour away and not found a single realtor worth a penny. I'm disgusted at this point. My mother is a realtor and if the one Mares has isn't going to work out for us I'm seriously thinking of having mom help me along and list the blessed thing myself. Getting really frustrated. Amazed that anyone buys homes here. Locals should boycott the realtors and start selling themselves and force the realtors to get off their butt or find another line of work.
My neighbor did a FSBO johnson city tn subdivision- he is a med. student- and sold in less than 2 months. He had it listed with a realtor last year...for 10 months. (no results).

It just shows doing it on your own may save aggravation. This is a tough market. Good luck.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 PM

We did decide to try on our own for now. It's officially on the market as of today. I did up fliers, did a PhotoBucket account for it, a Facebook account, etc. Have been painting since last night and still not close to done. It really hits you how big a house is when you have to paint every room! LOL We found a house in GA that's perfect for us and I'm interviewing for a job about half an hour from it, so we're even offering owner finance on this house so we can hopefully sell it even faster. Fingers are crossed. I hate to leave. We had our daughter's high school awards ceremony this morning - her senior year - and I realized how much I'm going to miss helping at the school, the staff there and the kids. Hubby's out putting another coat of paint on the barn and said he's going to miss the view we've got across the street. I was so excited about the prospect of moving that I'd forgotten how much we really love it here. I hope some day we'll be in a position that we can afford a couple acres and small cabin here so we can at least come back to visit. It really is a gorgeous area.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 PM

1,087 posts, read 2,798,767 times
Quote:
It really hits you how big a house is when you have to paint every room! LOL
I'm doing the same thing, painting every room including ceilings, so I can totally relate.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
I'm doing the same thing, painting every room including ceilings, so I can totally relate.
*sigh*

Tell ya what, I'll grab a six pack and we can make a party of it! We'll do yours together then you can come help me do mine. LOL

Did get the den emptied today though. Just have storage containers in there now to go to storage this weekend. Once I get the first floor done I've got to work on the second floor. Not looking forward to it. We've used it for storage for about two and a half years now. God only knows what's up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee