U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,571,099 times

Advertisements

I don't know of any rescue that adopt to outdoor homes. They're all very strict. Try a shelter. They're much more lenient that way. I'm not good at helping with outdoor dogs either though. I wish I could offer more advice on a breed, but I can't even begin to imagine where to direct you. Sorry.

Best of luck though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooyman View Post

Not sure what you're confused about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:27 AM

22,538 posts, read 46,113,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I don't know of any rescue that adopt to outdoor homes.
I'm not getting that she's going to keep the dog outside at all times. I think she said she'll train the dog to stay in the yard and off the leash while they are all outdoors, something we do with our dog. If I misinterpreted, I stand corrected.

Btw, our local county shelter does not adopt dogs out to homes where they keep the dog outside all day, all night, or both. Sounds like your local county animal department is not very good at all. Knox County even does followup home visits.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
Mrs, Hiknapster is correct. I have "funny" views on pet ownership. I treat my pets like I treat children. Pet means member of the family. Unless there's a new trend, kids aren't kept outdoors all the time either - and they aren't kept indoors all the time. My kitties are my pets - indoors at night, outside when we are - and perimeter trained. I've never had a dog house because none of my dogs were kept outdoors. They, like my kitties, are permitted to go outdoors to be with the family and to do their business - in a specific location and therefore must be perimeter trained. When we leave the property, they are leashed (wish we could do that with kids sometimes). And, just like children, pets are taught proper behavior - well, just like MY children. I have 2 cousins who thought they hated cats. They still claim they do but mine are exceptions. A service dog, obviously, is even more like a family member as the whole point is the dog must be near the owner in order to give service. What help would it be when the doorbell or telephone rings if the dog is outside?

Since we plan to spend almost all our time outdoors, it would be terrible to leave the pets inside. We just need to find a contractor to build our deck & pool next summer so it's ready when we arrive. The outdoor kitchen will be my next priority. We are designing it now and it will actually have more counter space than the indoor kitchen as it's where I plan on doing most of my canning. Of course I want my kitties and dog outside with me. And my kitties come when I use a certain whistle; just like all my dogs did.

So, I just had a chat with my hubby and is onboard with a beagle mix, although he's not delighted with the "droopy ears" - I have no idea what that's about - he's a silly guy sometimes.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I'm not getting that she's going to keep the dog outside at all times. I think she said she'll train the dog to stay in the yard and off the leash while they are all outdoors, something we do with our dog. If I misinterpreted, I stand corrected.

Btw, our local county shelter does not adopt dogs out to homes where they keep the dog outside all day, all night, or both. Sounds like your local county animal department is not very good at all. Knox County even does followup home visits.
Wow Hik, your county is awesome then!!! Well, you know what I"m dealing with here with ours. State investigation still on going. *sigh* Good to know there are some decent shelters in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Mrs, Hiknapster is correct. I have "funny" views on pet ownership. I treat my pets like I treat children. Pet means member of the family. Unless there's a new trend, kids aren't kept outdoors all the time either - and they aren't kept indoors all the time. My kitties are my pets - indoors at night, outside when we are - and perimeter trained. I've never had a dog house because none of my dogs were kept outdoors. They, like my kitties, are permitted to go outdoors to be with the family and to do their business - in a specific location and therefore must be perimeter trained. When we leave the property, they are leashed (wish we could do that with kids sometimes). And, just like children, pets are taught proper behavior - well, just like MY children. I have 2 cousins who thought they hated cats. They still claim they do but mine are exceptions. A service dog, obviously, is even more like a family member as the whole point is the dog must be near the owner in order to give service. What help would it be when the doorbell or telephone rings if the dog is outside?

Since we plan to spend almost all our time outdoors, it would be terrible to leave the pets inside. We just need to find a contractor to build our deck & pool next summer so it's ready when we arrive. The outdoor kitchen will be my next priority. We are designing it now and it will actually have more counter space than the indoor kitchen as it's where I plan on doing most of my canning. Of course I want my kitties and dog outside with me. And my kitties come when I use a certain whistle; just like all my dogs did.

So, I just had a chat with my hubby and is onboard with a beagle mix, although he's not delighted with the "droopy ears" - I have no idea what that's about - he's a silly guy sometimes.
I'm so glad! You'll find you're VERY rare in this state. Especially if you're in a rural area. Our neighbors think we're absolutely crazy for letting 'filthy' animals in our home. Pish! My dogs are cleaner and better behaved than most of the kids you see these days. Ours are our children too, and strictly indoors. We're never outside though other than doing yard work but then they're in the fence to keep them safe from lawn mowers, weed eaters, etc.

Beagles are great. Just remember to clean the ears frequently. The droopy ear dogs tend to get infections easily because there's no air flow to the inner ear canals. They also tend to have issues with anal glands, so if you don't know how to express them (or aren't too eager to learn as is my case ) make sure you get him/her to the vet for regular visits to make sure they don't get full.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 AM

8,179 posts, read 14,276,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Wow Hik, your county is awesome then!!! Well, you know what I"m dealing with here with ours. State investigation still on going. *sigh* Good to know there are some decent shelters in this state.

Beagles are great. Just remember to clean the ears frequently. The droopy ear dogs tend to get infections easily because there's no air flow to the inner ear canals. They also tend to have issues with anal glands, so if you don't know how to express them (or aren't too eager to learn as is my case ) make sure you get him/her to the vet for regular visits to make sure they don't get full.
I love beagle mixes - one of my best dogs was a mix, mostly beagle - she was great, lived to be 18. She was part terrier so we didn't have the ear issue - and I'll have no problems with that but the anal glands - ugh, I know about it but that is not something I want to learn. We will if it becomes necessary.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 PM

I just take our gland challenged fur kids to the vet a couple times a year to get them done. I love them, but that's where I draw the line!

If you're looking for a beagle mix here, check out golsn dot com. There is a free section and I see free beagle and hound mixes on there all the time, fully vetted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or