Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have some new neighbors from Massachusetts. The other day, another neighbor asked if she could bring her child to church, and the Massachusetts woman went ballistic on her. This all took place in my front yard. I was really embarrassed.

This new neighbor is constantly complaining about the area. She did no research before moving here. It's really bizarre.

I asked her why she moved here. She picked here because she heard it was cheap.

They're not doing very well, either. She refuses to work, and her husband is only working a few hours a day. I've tried to explain to her that this is not Massachusetts. Just because she has a child, it doesn't mean she shouldn't work. My other neighbor, a native, had a baby and ran right out and found a job. Her husband is laid off for the summer, so he ran right out and found another job to hold them over.

I told this Massachusetts woman that it not the same here. If she doesn't pay her rent they put her out on the street pretty quick. I've seen them do it. Where we come from (I'm from Massachusetts, too.) it is very tough to evict someone with a child. It takes many months, to do it.

It's a different way of life here. I just don't see them making it here.
You'll probably see her posting on here soon on how she HATES Tennessee, complaining about how backwards the people are (HORRORS - someone actually asked her if she could take her child to ---- SHUDDER --- CHURCH!!!!), and wants to move back to Massachusetts where it's more 'progressive'.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
Hill,
Your post is also true about Maine. People move here and immediately try to change things to a faster pace. And they wonder why the locals are standoffish. I've seen it try to happen in hometown more than once. Thank goodness for good old downeast stubbornness.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:25 AM

13,352 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
TnHilltopper. I just want you to know that I think you are absolutely right.

I have some new neighbors from Massachusetts. The other day, another neighbor asked if she could bring her child to church, and the Massachusetts woman went ballistic on her. This all took place in my front yard. I was really embarrassed.

This new neighbor is constantly complaining about the area. She did no research before moving here. It's really bizarre.

I asked her why she moved here. She picked here because she heard it was cheap.

They're not doing very well, either. She refuses to work, and her husband is only working a few hours a day. I've tried to explain to her that this is not Massachusetts. Just because she has a child, it doesn't mean she shouldn't work. My other neighbor, a native, had a baby and ran right out and found a job. Her husband is laid off for the summer, so he ran right out and found another job to hold them over.

I told this Massachusetts woman that it not the same here. If she doesn't pay her rent they put her out on the street pretty quick. I've seen them do it. Where we come from (I'm from Massachusetts, too.) it is very tough to evict someone with a child. It takes many months, to do it.

It's a different way of life here. I just don't see them making it here.
That is horrible!!! What on earth were they thinking? Or NOT thinking when they moved to East Tennessee?? I hope your neighbor will listen to you and change her attitude, or you're right, she'll be a miserable person who will try to spread misery everywhere she goes around here and might just end up on the street anyway.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:51 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
will someone please get hiknapster a better job

Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
will someone please get hiknapster a better job
TriDad, what are you talking about?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,667 times
I dunno, but if my company takes off in TN.........I'll hire everyone here looking for a good job. Provided you all (notice the slight change in my drawl...not 'you guys' but now you all.....stay tuned if it turns into y'all [we're watching lots of Food Network with Paula Dean lately] ) pass the personality test

only 29 days till the conversion is complete

i'll be on the phone with Comcast in a couple of weeks....what's the secret promo code for really good discounts?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:15 PM

I bet you're a trip to work for, TriDad.

I love your sense of humor.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:18 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
I dunno, but if my company takes off in TN.........I'll hire everyone here looking for a good job. Provided you all (notice the slight change in my drawl...not 'you guys' but now you all.....stay tuned if it turns into y'all [we're watching lots of Food Network with Paula Dean lately] ) pass the personality test
You'll see my resume in a flash, TriDad!

btw: I LOVE Paula Deen! But, then again, I love Bobbie Flay, and most of the other cooks on the Food Network. I got a Great seafood casserole recipe from 30 minute Meals, that has been a hit for everyone I serve it to.

blessings, Shen *10 years exp in health insurance field - when do you want my resume?

Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 PM

Yes. Shen works for a wonderful health care company. I have personal experience.

Isn't 30-minute meals Rachel Ray? She has great recipes!

Old 08-03-2007, 07:16 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,659 times
Hi, my name is Robin, and I'm a Food Network addict.

Our daughter (until they just changed it from 8 to 7pm) used to settle down for bed to Emeril......Yikes! I am seriously addicted.

Last edited by beachbyrd; 08-03-2007 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: wrong time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee